Best New Dually

JMoraru

Established Member
So, my dad asked me to go help him pick out a new truck today, but I really don't know too much about what diesels are the best. I figured I could get some quick opinions/insight here. Long story(skip to end for cliffs):

Back story, he has had a 2008 F350 which ran pretty good for years, then it started running into a few issues with the cooling system. He took into Ford and they fixed a few things and he took the truck back. He shortly went back in saying they had not fixed all the problems, but they said it was fine...after over $2k in bills the truck let go that month. Needless to say, he is pretty pissed.

Well, he needed a truck while they are deciding how to resolve that one...so he bought a F450 (not sure the year but it's a 6.4L). Well, this one blew up after a couple months while towing a light load. He has had good communication with the shop working on this truck, but the shop is having difficulties with Ford.

Anyways, he is looking to buy another truck that he wont have issues with. He likes how the Fords feel and drive, but he hasn't had the best luck in the past year. It doesn't sound like he has completely ruled Ford out. However, it seems like Ram is at the top of the list right now. He would consider Chevy/GM, but he doesn't like how wimpy the wheels look:lol1:

So, he wants a comfortable truck for daily driving and something that is capable of towing heavy loads when needed. It is going to be a dually and it has to be diesel. Who is making the best truck in 2014?

Cliffs:
Needs new truck
Has had 2 newer Ford trucks blow up this year
Looking at new diesel duallies

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Go with the ram, a lot of pissed off ford diesel owners have.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
Go with the ram, a lot of pissed off ford diesel owners have.

Ram... Ive driven each religiously to trade my truck in for...
The cummins just drives better. And the built in exhaust brake is amazing..
Duramax is to expensive and the "Allison" trans... Yeah that Allison is a mark up..

People that know nothing know a Duramax has a Allison..
Allison isnt even known for building transmissions.. They stated working on the liberty airplane back in ww1.. Than gm bought them in 1928 when jim allison died.

I'll take a 6r140 over any Allison.

But the 6-speed Aisin AS68RC in ram.. Is unbeatable

Vizior

Established Member
At work we use the Ford Diesels and have nothing but problems over the past few years. We all keep wishing we could change to either Ram or Chevy.

Personally, I have a Chevy 2500 Diesel and love it, and have never had any issues.

YJSONLY

Established Member
The new 6.7 diesel are nice and I have not seen to much problems with them unlike the 6.4 (08-10) with 08 being the worst they did get most of the kinks out by the 2010 model but I wouldn't hesitate to go pick up a 6.7 Ford today.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
I've got a 2011 F450 with the 6.7. I haven't had any issues and after three years, i still love the truck as much as the day I bought it. I tow a 39 ft toy hauler (15K lbs) pretty regularly.

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
Ford's had problems from 2003-2010 when they had the diesel engines made by International. Starting in 2011 they designed and built their own engine the 6.7. This engine has been bullet proof. I am a retired ford tech. I would say that a 2011 and up the ford may well be the best diesel out there.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'd fix the 6.4L F-450 properly. If done right those trucks are beasts, but it's not going to be fixed properly by a dealer.

The other option I'd take would be to wait for the 2015 Super Duty. Ford will be upgrading the 6.7 Powerstroke with a new turbo and many other goodies (including a real exhaust brake).

Other than that, I'd go for the Ram with the Aisin tranny.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
I'd fix the 6.4L F-450 properly. If done right those trucks are beasts, but it's not going to be fixed properly by a dealer.

The other option I'd take would be to wait for the 2015 Super Duty. Ford will be upgrading the 6.7 Powerstroke with a new turbo and many other goodies (including a real exhaust brake).

See SID knows whats up!

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

This. If he can wait for the 2015 to come out, that is prob. what I would recommend. If he [understandably] doesn't want to go with ford again, then go with the ram.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
This. If he can wait for the 2015 to come out, that is prob. what I would recommend. If he [understandably] doesn't want to go with ford again, then go with the ram.

Seriously that Cummins is slightly ridiculous.. I always been a ps guy till i drove a new cummins.

Especially in the mountains.. The dealer i went to is off skyline drive... Its so awesome to drive down mountain without touching brake once

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
The 2015 F450 is going to be sweet. They are doing a lot of cool things with the 6.7 next year as Sid mentioned.

He's probably sick of the 6.4 but they can be bulletproofed with a little work. DPF/EGR deletes and ARP head studs take care of 99% of problems with them. I wouldn't trade my 6.4 for anything.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The 2015 F450 is going to be sweet. They are doing a lot of cool things with the 6.7 next year as Sid mentioned.

He's probably sick of the 6.4 but they can be bulletproofed with a little work. DPF/EGR deletes and ARP head studs take care of 99% of problems with them. I wouldn't trade my 6.4 for anything.

You don't really even need studs if you don't go nuts with the fueling. I don't want to give up the compound boost dual-turbo setup on the SVTP F-350.

Superhawk2002

Established Member

Pretty much this. I am a Cummins guy through and through. Although for an older guy (your pops) who looks like he doesn't do any mods, I would skip the 6.4 all together.

Read up on the 2015 Fords before making that kind of investment. They look to be the truck of all trucks. If he cannot wait, get the Ram.

YJSONLY

Established Member
To me I hate dodges cheap looking side mirrors!!! They look like dog shit. Anyone have a good article on the 2015 fords to read?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Seriously that Cummins is slightly ridiculous.. I always been a ps guy till i drove a new cummins.

Especially in the mountains.. The dealer i went to is off skyline drive... Its so awesome to drive down mountain without touching brake once

I haven't driven a new ram but know lots of people who traded their old ford power stroke in on one.

Users who are viewing this thread