Best Mustang under 30 grand?

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
People keep mentioning the Boss but doesn’t the 2015 Mustang with performance pack have the same capability if you put an intake and tune on it? Would they both handle well and have similar dyno sheets? I know the Boss has a solid rear. Can anyone school me on this?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Hell I was about to be "that guy" to mention a 2018 GT since you can cut a 10 second NA pass relatively easy, I even have an 18 myself. But just being honest with myself, a BOSS 302 will be worth double the value of an S550 GT down the road. Just won't lose much equity in a BOSS 302.

jaxbusa

Established Member
Hell I was about to be "that guy" to mention a 2018 GT since you can cut a 10 second NA pass relatively easy, I even have an 18 myself. But just being honest with myself, a BOSS 302 will be worth double the value of an S550 GT down the road. Just won't lose much equity in a BOSS 302.

I understand the value part, but it would also make me a little hesitant to change any parts on it as well. I have a 2001 True Blue Bullitt and I feel like I shouldn’t change anything that makes it a Bullitt. I know I’m going to get banned for this, but I like the look of the S550 over the boss. The graphics just kills it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
End goal would be to have a 6-700 horsepower weekend car. The Boss 302 is one of my favorites at this time. I don’t think I would go for an automatic, I would prefer to row the gears. Has anyone driven both a 12-13 Boss and an 11-12 Gt500?

I have. And here is my response.
I came off a 650rwhp VMP blown '04 Cobra when I drove the 2013 Boss.
I need the TORQUE of a blower, period. The BOSS was fun with 3:73s but did not plant you in your seat like a TVS blown car will.

I found a 2011 Perf Pack GT500. No Recaros, no Nav....didn't care. Paid $28,000 for it and you can read the rest in the posted links. At $30,000 the 11-12 Perf Pack Shelbys is where its at. Anything more, say $35k+, than save and get a 13-14. I find the earlier Shelby body styles not to my liking.

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/new-to-me-gt500.1165501/

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/bone-stock-to-fully-modded-11.1166686/

quad

Established Member
Terminator is easy power but interior is unfortunately dated and cheap. I REALLY miss my 04 Comp Orange Cobra with a Twin Screw but my 11 5.0 was leaps and bound interior wise. I'd go Boss 302...always wanted one.
That's one of the reasons I like it. It has a working class feel with amazing power potential. Catches a lot of people by surprise, even today. Most people expect a Lamborghini or Ferrari to be fast and many people underestimate the Terminator and can't understand why the car ends up beating the faster, more fancy looking car.

quad

Established Member
I have. And here is my response.
I find the earlier Shelby body styles not to my liking.
Agree. Make me think of a boat. Something off with the proportions. To be fair few cars look good from all angles though. I don't like the look of the Terminator from all sides either.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Agree. Make me think of a boat. Something off with the proportions. To be fair few cars look good from all angles though. I don't like the look of the Terminator from all sides either.

I like the way a 03/04 looks.

My favorite looking modern mustang is the 13/14 S197.. probably the GT500, but the 2013 Boss looks fantastic too.

The only 05-09 S197 i like is the GT500. The different front facia and headlights set it off and make it look acceptable. Even then, it doesnt hold a candle to the 10-14 GT500 in the looks department IMO. The other 05-09's look like ass .... sorry guys.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I understand the value part, but it would also make me a little hesitant to change any parts on it as well. I have a 2001 True Blue Bullitt and I feel like I shouldn’t change anything that makes it a Bullitt. I know I’m going to get banned for this, but I like the look of the S550 over the boss. The graphics just kills it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I feel the other way. I owned an 11 5.0 and now a 15 5.0 and I feel the 11 is more muscle car where this is more Euro Sports car. I'd swap for a 14 Shelby in a heart beat.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The 05-09 GT's look good with a little fiddling.

IMG_0039 (Small).JPG

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
The 05-09 GT's look good with a little fiddling.

View attachment 1554140

I agree. While definitely not one of the quickest, I still think an 07-09 Shelby GT is one of the best looking Mustangs ever made. I definitely think it was the best looking S197 car.

The car below is not a Shelby GT, but has the clean simple appearance that I like about it. I snapped a pic of this car way back at Mustang Week 2008 and have loved it ever since.

Capture3.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread