Best intake for the s197

Status
Not open for further replies.

351inside

Established Member
I have heard grat thinga about all jlt products, i had one on my 98 cobra and loved the intake, Which is the absolute best intake for thes cars, or is it just a matter of personal preferance?

JoePac

Established Member
JLT with an xcal3 seems to be the best for n/a applications.

Oman_cobra

Established Member
steeda's in mine & i love it
the following is from steeda's website

Product Details
Steeda's new Cold Air Kit for the S197 produces the greatest power gains of any Cold Air Kit on the market. Testing has shown increases of up to 38 HP and 30 ft lbs of Torque to the rear wheels with Steeda's Cold Air Kit combined with our Custom SCT Tune.

Steeda's lifetime filter can be cleaned and re-oiled, but the big news here is that we've streamlined the airflow in the S197 Mustang to the point that a computer re-flash isn't just an option, it's required! Check out the SCT XCalibrator 2 - the perfect tool for the job, or the new Steeda Predator with Custom Tunes!

The kit is supplied with a stainless steel air box with built-in velocity stack. It mounts in the factory location with the supplied rubber trim to seal it against the hood & fender to keep the hot air out . Our tests showed inlet temps a mere 5 degrees above ambient temperature. The Steeda Lifetime Filter can easily be cleaned and re-oiled, making maintenance a snap. All hardware required for installation is included in the kit.
Get the Kit: Steeda's all new complete Cold Air Intake system replaces everything from the throttle body forward. Now available together for one low price.

*Note: Use of Steeda's Cold Air Intake REQUIRES a tune under any application, which is sold separately.

Independent test results have proven gains of over 4 HP and 5 ft/lbs of Torque over the entire RPM range of the so called 'leading brands'.

Used by the top tuners in the industry.

"SCT has seen the highest horsepower and torque results while using Steeda's Cold Air Kit, over any other brand." - Chris Johnson, President of SCT Tuning

i bought mine with SCT X3 from lethal performance, fantastic guys

Last edited:

Chris06GT

Established Member
Had a JLT and SCT on mine and the car made 281rwhp/296rwtq....Took it off and put on a C&L Racer Kit and Diablo combo and the car made 306rwhp/322rwtq....

Exhaust mods were the same...off-road x-pipe, 2 chamber flows....

Chris

351inside

Established Member
so a racer kit would be the best option? do you guys recommend taking it to the shop so it can be tuned, or will the tune work just as fine? my tuner uses SCT, thats why im asking, i would want a sct on my car, but i got a predator for the parents 06 king ranch PS and that thing is crazy from a dead stop!, You guys think i should take it to my tuner or will the tune that comes will work with it?

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
call bamachips (doug studdard) and pickup their jlt + sct tuner package....jlt won the magazine contest for most power from an intake. plus jlt is cheap and all business. chris06's tune must of been junk to pickup significant power by replacing intake and tuners

Chris06GT

Established Member
No actually...Doug tuned the car with the SCT and JLT ...When I took the SCT/JLT combo off and replaced it, I also switched dyno's...

Chris

P.S. Nothing against Doug...But if you ever have problems, have fun getting in touch with him for assistance....

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
I agree chris06GT...doug studdard is a very hard man to get a hold of. I had to wait a week or so when I thought i needed a new tune because my x pipe was on too loose. But Im pretty sure his 93 performance tune is spot on with my car.
Bamachips & Brenspeed seem to be the best mail order tuners for these 05+ mustangs

Chris06GT

Established Member
I understand your situation...I am only about 45 minutes from Doug....But, my personal opinion..I wasn't impressed..Then I was depressed when I seen how much more my dyno guy now got out of the car..I guess everyone has their personal opinions...and they are entitled to them...Blake Walker with Walker Dynotune has tuned a bunch of my Foxbody's over the past couple of year's, but it is a 2 1/2 hour ride...I just bit the bullet and took my 06 to him and had it custom tuned...

Chris

JOEY A

Established Member
Having a good tuner, tune your car on the dyno is always better than a flash

Sure the tune you get is good, but not every car runs the same

If you have the money, I would do all the boltons and get it dyno tuned last

Sartol

Established Member
Just installed my jlt + bamachip tune, and i don't see how any other intake / tune comba can do any better. I havn't try the others but i'm realy liking my new set up. I went with dougs 93 tune. he targets the 1500-3500 rpm range alot, and thats where i was seeing a power band lag. Now from 1500-6500 rpms its feels like your high rpm pull. only thing a little bad, and i can't blame bamachip or jlt but trying to start from a dig just about can't happen with stock tires. it and gears next on my list.

SVTContique

The WMS intake is a good unit. It dosent require a tune too, and they claim 20ish HP.

I dont think id even want an intake if it meant i had to run 91+ octane... just means the gains are all from the higher octane, more advanced timing and the tune itself.

Rick@Amazon

SVT God
Established Member
My favorites are the C&L racer and the JLT intakes. We have the C&L Racer with a GT500 throttle body kit we sell with one of our custom SCT tunes on one of our shop cars till we get the turbo on it. Throttle response is outstanding. Here is a picture of the setup.

Rick

DSC01601.JPG

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
don't be scared of premium...i used to be the same way but your increased gasmileage will almost offset the cost + the extra power is there when you run across a little competition. try a 93 tune over your 87 and I bet you won't go back

SVTContique

don't be scared of premium...i used to be the same way but your increased gasmileage will almost offset the cost + the extra power is there when you run across a little competition. try a 93 tune over your 87 and I bet you won't go back

Please explain how octane gives you better gas mileage....

You do realize that octane just prevents knock and allows you to run more advanced timing....

rio95cobra

Established Member
i would imagine a c&l intake/mass air would make more power than a jlt correct? since the jlt is just a coldair kit and the c&l is both a cai and a massair meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread