best handeling mods

SprintNCobra

SVT Poster
Established Member
to all you pro's out there i am trying to get my 04 cobra to handle the best it possibly can. what are some great mods to do so i can whip around turns with no problem. I would like to have handeling something similar to that of a ferrari. Please help. :shrug:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
even on its best day an 03/04 cobra is light years away from a ferrari of the same model year.

start with the driver mod. take a high perf driving school or two. it doesnt satisfy the need to turn a wrench but it will take more off your lap times than any parts will.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Sticky tires come later; if you have to do something do brake upgrades first, then springs/dampers. Driving lessons are the best mod money.

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
MidLifeC said:
Sticky tires come later; if you have to do something do brake upgrades first, then springs/dampers. Driving lessons are the best mod money.

The only brake upgrades you need are a good set of pads like Hawk or Pagid.
The IRS is a pretty big weak point of the Cobra. Upgrade all the bushings to Delrin. ac427cobra makes and sells a great set on this board.

Then I would say coilovers. (if you dont want to spend the money then buy H&R Super Sport or Race springs) Supersports are gentler and more street friendly.

Then a helical, torque biasing differential such as Torsen T2R or DPI Black Gold.

If you want to keep spending then a Maximum Motorsports K-Member and tubular A-arms will shave 50+lbs off the front end and make some significant handling improvements.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
For your basic street car, Full length subframes, springs, CC plates, rear end bushings, nice tires and a set of Eibach bars will make for a sharpened handling, liveable, nice riding car that will likely outperform many drivers capability.

I agree with Shelbyguy, go to the track if you're really wanting to know what you need. Then you can pick what you need to suite you.

04svtdriver

I need another sports car
Established Member
Well I've never driven on the track but...
Like stated early first go to the track (if you haven't already) and find the limits of your car. From others that I know the IRS is actually a good point for handling. Everyone I've talked to said that steeda makes pretty good stuff. They've even got IRS kits. But some springs and bushing and SF's make a huge difference too. I'm doing springs, SF's and some bushings. Then doing the BF Diff Cover. But I've never actually been on a track just talked to others who have.

SprintNCobra

SVT Poster
Established Member
mblgjr said:
For your basic street car, Full length subframes, springs, CC plates, rear end bushings, nice tires and a set of Eibach bars will make for a sharpened handling, liveable, nice riding car that will likely outperform many drivers capability.

I agree with Shelbyguy, go to the track if you're really wanting to know what you need. Then you can pick what you need to suite you.

Thanks that is what i was asking at the top.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
^^

To further that, MM FL SFC's, MM CC plates, Steeda or HR race springs, then pick your poison of polyurethane, aluminum, or Delrin IRS bushings.

Vist Postban's sticky at the top of this forum and read it for appropriate IRS mods.

You may/may not want the stiffer swaybars after you do the spring change.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
do the driver mods first. stock for stock the cobra will be able to keep up to most stock cars, unless the track has some real tight turns. where you can really pick up time is late braking and getting on the gas from turn to turn (not very many cars can accelerate from turn to turn like the cobra). remember to pump your air pressures up to about 40psi, get some high temp brake fluid, better pads. get some instruction, get some rides with other cars similar to your, ask questions about the turns you are not getting. run the track thru your mind while waiting to get on track. visualize the way the turns should be taken vs the way you are taken them. the more info you get before the event the less likely you will have brain overload at the track. now go get signed up and make up proud :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread