Best Exhaust for the 99 Cobras?

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
That post that you remember reading looks to have come from Steeda own web page see below

"Finally a bolt-on, side-exist exhaust kit that doesn't cost you horsepower! Steeda's new all stainless steel side-exit exhaust kit makes power and looks great! We did a back-to-back dyno test with our side-exit kit and it made 2 RWHP more than a Flowmaster cat-back kit. This is a major achievement because up until now side-exit exhaust was dyno-proven to COST you horsepower. Now with Steeda's new kit you can MAKE real power. The Steeda Side-Exit exhaust kit features 100% stainless steel construction for ultimate durability and all neccessary hardware for installation. This kit is a perfect compliment to our ultimate "

Now ya got the wonder, do all side exhaust not give you the power a full exhaust would? And Flowmaster aren't the best performance power exhaust to compair to. They are more designed to give you controlable noise.

SVT4POP

Established Member
brad65ford, ...

If your interest is power (horsepower and torque) ... and whose isn't, one of the elements to your exhaust system that you haven't mentioned is consideration of a shorty header system and then building your system back from there.

There are significant horsepower and torque gains to be made by going to either an FRPP or JB shorty header (about $200 for the FRPP's). The FRPP system even offers a choice of ceramic coated units ... I'm not sure about JB's. The installation if done at home or by a shop can be a little involved but it's a worthwhile accomplishment.

If you're considering a side exhaust for your '99 are you also going to change out the rear bumper where the exhaust cut outs are sculpted? If you are going to do the side exhausts are you also going to go with the side body kit with the sculpted unit that has the single rectangular port built in? The system you have in the picture shows dual tips for each side. If those are 3'' or at least 2.5" and you're porting them out the side in front of the rear tires you'll need to be sure you're not creating a road clearance problem for yourself, especially if you've already lowered your car or plan to.

Also, I have a close friend who had the side exhaust porting on his '01 GT with the body moulding and he made the mistake of taking his car through the neighborhood car wash. He wasn't very happy when to offset the damage to his drivers side tubing (from the guide rail system that pushes the cars down the track) the car wash said they'd give him $500 in free car wash tickets. It was a royal mess and aggravation.

I would recommend you consider a system that starts with shorty headers (long tubes are another option for slightly larger power gains - but also some clearance considerations) then either a pro-chamber or X-pipe system (either O/R - Off Road or with cats to pass smog) and cat back system from MAC, Magnaflow, Borla or Flowmaster, (although I'm not a fan of Flowmasters,) ... and I've heard all of the above. Where possible you should make sure that all tubing is stainless steel and mandrel bent rather than crush-bent.

Hope this helps in your decision making, I've been there and can understand the quandry... good luck.

Last edited:

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
headers

SVT4POP,
I'm waiting for the new FordMotorSports 4.6 dohc header for the 99 and up cobra. From what I have read they will be better designed.

The cat-back systems, well I really don't want the side exhaust for that reason (rear bumper) and I don't what to buy those cover holes things. Have you guys seen the Chicane (Saleen S381) center exhuast for the gt's. You need to remove the over the axle hump (cut and weld job) Its 500 I think for the exhaust not including the bumper. Any thoughts?????????????

fangstang

Established Member
Yo brad, your car looks hot! How did you get the exhaust to fit around the IRS?

SVT4POP

Established Member
brad65ford, ...

Sounds like a plan, and a plausible way to go. Are those shorty headers or long tubes? If they are shorty headers, I'd be interested in the differences from the current FRPP ones I've installed and specifically whether they're equal length and the piping size ...

When do you hear they'll be available and can you reference any articles you've read on them? I have access to MM/FF and 5.0 S/F magazines.

BTW the picture of the Saleen GT is a pretty ride, but with all due respects to the owner I just don't think I could get used to it. I think "svtduck" expressed it, but hey, but I sustain the right to choose whatever revs ones' engine. Sounds like it takes a fanciful application of imaginative pipe bending.

Good luck, keep posting on what's happenin' ...

Last edited:

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
NOT MY CAR!

fangstang, That is NOT my car. I finally broke down and bought the FR500 cat-back system today.

There is a one page in the Ford Motorsports new book thats just about the 4.6 dohc 99-up, intakes,heads, cams and others stuff. They state that the intake and or heads, with the header will get you 60 horses.:p

fangstang

Established Member
OOOPS!!! Sorry, didnt know. It looks hot anyway! About the heads and cam, what do they cost? Are they the FR500 heads? And how about those headers, expensive,si o no?:thumbsup:

Jody Horner

have an 01 cobra with steeda springs.probably lowered 2 inches.I had my dealer Ceiner Woods Ford to install bassani catback.it is a beauty but it is too low in my opinion. I call it my squirrel killer.no small animal could ever make it out alive.parking is a small problem if I back into a space with a curb-I actually feel the exhaust nudge the curb.bottom line- springs can make a big difference.probably end up putting stock catback back on.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Wow

Wow, my bassini x pipe with cats is also very low the the ground. I wonder about the other exhaust companys??:??: How low and well they fit.

Jody Horner

Brad im unsure which catback will give us both the clearence we need.Please keep me informed on your new catback when you have it on your car.Thanks in advance.;-)

Users who are viewing this thread