Best Exhaust for the 99 Cobras?

CobraF/I

Established Member
Hey guys! I'm new on this forum and own a 1999 Cobra. I have ordered the Vortech aftercooled system and am waiting for it to come in. My question is: What is the best exhaust set up for this Cobra? Long tube headers (what brand?), X-pipe (brand and does it hang too low?), cat-back (Borla, Mac?)??? What do you guys have? I want a nice loud, deep sound to match the HP that I'll have. Any suggestions? Thank you for your help guys!!

:chicken:

(Haha, I love that chicken!)

svtduck

Established Member
I have a new Borla cat back. I love the deep sound. Also, it was a piece of cake to install, and fit perfectly. The big tips really fit the bumper well, and the double angle cut on them matches the bumper covers.

YELL-OSNAKE

Established Member
I have a 01 and bassani x, w/cats, and flows, I don't have the supercharger problem though. from what I understand the x pipe is better for top end, and h favors more mid range. I've heard, from the shm people that they get idle problems on some cars with long tubes. me personally, I'd get the x pipe cats or no cats is your call. and I like my flows with the x pipe. check out www.mustangexhaust.com for some sound clips, and maybe some better advice. They will be releasing soon...hopefully the results of an x/h test comparison.
:rolling:

CobraF/I

Established Member
I had Borlas on my 94 Gt, I loved them, but I wanted something louder. I heard Flowmasters were louder, but they aren't stainless steal. Hmmm. The X-pipe doesn't scrape when you go over bumps? Bassani.. hmm, that's good stuff, but expensive, correct? If I get an X-pipe, the Borlas should wake up a lot, I think. I was also looking at Steeda Stainless side exhaust. You hear anything about that? Thank you for the link, but I'm at work and can't listen to stuff, or else the boss will know what I'm really doing!:bash: I'll take a look at their suggestions. Haha, thank you for your responses. What about Headers? Anyone have a brand for those?

FriedRice

Established Member
The side style cat backs look cool but I think you may actually loose some power or stay the same. Rarly do Hp #'s go up with the side style.

I am running Bassani X-pipe sansthe cats. Magnaflow cat-back.Really low tone at idle just a nice blub blub blub. When the loud pedle is pressed it gets pretty loud.:beer:

CobraF/I

Established Member
Ok, so far, from what I have read, the Bassani X-pipe seems to be most recommended. I went to Meinike (sp?) and had asked them about the X-pipe. They had told me that it would hang very low on my car and that it would scrape on bumps (i.e. speedbumps). Do any of you have this problem? If not, I'm sold! If so, haha, I'm probably sold anyway!:p I have never heard of Spintech, so I'll go see if I can find their website and check out what they are about. Thanks! I'll go ahead and price Magnaflow, Mac, Borla, and Flowmaster. I have a hunch, though, that the Flowmasters will be the cheapest. Again, thanks guys!

PS: Hey, is it possible to install the X-pipe first (then later get the cat-back and headers)? If so, would it still produce a deeper sound?

FriedRice

Established Member
Yes it could scrape. Mine is lowered about 1 3/4" and I rearly scrape.
Yes flows are cheapest , in sound and price IMHO
Yes you can add the x-pipe now and then come back latter to do the rest. That will mean you nead shorties though for headers.
I would most likely do the cat back first. It produced a more noticable gain in power and sound then the X pipe.
It will sound more raspy with the X and the factory cat-back. Some like it, I did'nt.

01svtcobra

Established Member
I run the Bassani X o/r with the stock cat back. Houston Performance recomends the Magna Flow cat back with that pipe. Since they have a dyno that must be a good combo for hp. The X does have alot of resonace, but i like the industrial sound. Dont get me wrong, it is plenty throaty also!

SVT4POP

Established Member
I have the FRPP Shorty ceramic coated headers hooked to a Magnaflow X-pipe w/ cats, hooked to a Magnaflow catback system with Magnaflow Magnapacks welded in instead of the regular 2/3 chambered mufflers. Everything is mandrel bent and wasn't that hard of an install (if you have a lift!).

It makes for one nasty sounding snake when you hit the pedal. However, at idle it's almost unnoticeable. But for me I guess I feel you gotta let your horsepower speak, not that you want to brag, but if you got hp, in these Cobra's, they do seem to like the sound of the muscle car they are.

Lest any misunderstand, the exhaust system should partly say what you think about your car and the other part of what the car is capable of saying about itself ... just one owner's philosophy.

tms217

Established Member
I can find out what brand it is. I got it from a local worker at True Blue performance. He had bought it and had it cut to fit a 99 Cobra. He blew his motor and decided to sell me his because he would not be driving his for awhile. he said total it was arround 400 but he sold it to me for 300. If you want to know the brand let me know.

Terry

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Bassini x w/ cats

Well, I got a Bassini x w/ cats and stock cats back pipes w/ Glass pack straight thru mufflers in place of the stock ones. I HATE THE SOUND. It doesn't sound like a mustang, let alone a cobra. Sound like a boat under water at idle, a raspy when ya give it the pedal. Loud, I cann't believe how loud it is, it echoes off houses and car more than any 5.0 I've owned. All the above doesn't bother me, except when I'm getting in the car as hard it allows, its sound like a Harley................ Tell me about it..... This is why I am think stock everthing, f* the performance I what my sound back! I dieing to see and hear a 99 cobra with a bassini x w/ cats and the Ford FR500 cat back cobra x pipe. Hope this help.

TIAMAT

Established Member
The Dr. gas cat x-pipe is the best converter x-pipe out there. I think it's alot better than any of them including bassani. I know too many people who had converter failure and bassani didn't back their customers with replacements. I would get the Dr.gas converter x-pipe and the fr500 cat back.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Two x pipes?

I just relized, what the hell am I thinking, two x pipes on my car why have the exhaust slam into each other again. Anyone want to buy a low mileage Bassini w/ cats x-pipe. Just passed NJ emissions 103 on the NOc (no bad). I am looking for a stock h-pipe. Any help?:bored:

fangstang

Established Member
Re: Two x pipes?

Originally posted by brad65ford
I just relized, what the hell am I thinking, two x pipes on my car why have the exhaust slam into each other again. Anyone want to buy a low mileage Bassini w/ cats x-pipe. Just passed NJ emissions 103 on the NOc (no bad). I am looking for a stock h-pipe. Any help?:bored:

What are you asking?

SVT4POP

Established Member
brad65ford, ...

Judging from your last post, you may misunderstand what an "X" Pipe is/does. The "X" denotes the configuration of the cross-over (junction) of the two exhaust pipes coming from the engine. The dynamic intent of the configuration is essentially that from the junction air (like water flowing) will take the path of least resistance.

When the two exhaust flows merge at the "X" pipe junction they exit and will follow the path of least resistance or least amount of built up air-flow thus helping the exhaust gasses to flow essentially at a faster, more efficient rate. If you have high flow cats and a decent cat-back system you should have a better running, slightly more powerful car, albeit with a louder more robust sound because the exhaust gasses are not being "bottled up" or restricted as much with as with conventional stock systems. (This may not be the most accurate technical or scientific description, so my apologies to those out there who can articulate this process better)

While there may be some debate between advantages/disadvantages between "X" and "H" pipe configurations my guess most of those who tried both would opt for the "X" pipe. I am one of them. On my '99 Cobra I have a Magnaflow X-pipe with cat/convert. system (hooked to FRPP Shorty headers) which exits the rear through a Magnaflow cat-back system using welded Magnapacks instead of the 2/3 chambered muffler.

The sound is distinctly different from those with Flowmaster-type systems, but not in a way that I dislike or am in a hurry to change.

Last edited:

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Clarification

What I'm trying to asking is... is there anyone out there with the x-pipe w/ cats and the fr500 cat back w/ the x down pipe? What are the results driveablity and power performance wise. Does it sound good at idle and full to the floor? Thats what I was tring to ask sorry for the confusion. How about these guys (Steeda side cat back) any luck with an x cats pipe? As you can see I cann't make up my mind.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread