best engine stand?? for modular/coyote

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i pulled my terminator's engine for the first time the other day. i had bought a cheap (but 4 wheeled) engine stand off of craigslist a while back for it, but when i tried to bolt up the mounting plate, the arms could not reach all the way around the bellhousing (could only get three). besides, i am thinking this is going to be a little too shaky and hard to rotate for a fully dressed engine. so, i am looking to purchase an engine stand and am willing to pay for a good one.

preferences/tips/advice?

- worm gear for rotating the engine?
- 1/2 ton or 1 ton? or more?
- folding? caster type?
- american made?
- etc

thx

hotcobra03

Established Member
I did harbor freight 4 wheel heavy duty
but had to modify for width

700lb area is what I seen ours weigh complete
only pic I found hard to see

done.jpg

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
yeah i could tell this one was drooping quite a bit with the entire long block with blower on it!

i am definitely leaning towards a one-ton capacity unit

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Interested to see some more recs. I was looking at the harbor freight 1 ton myself.

Does anyone know if Napa rents engine stands and hoists?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Harbor stand I got looks like this

the slots had to be cut a little to reach wider

JEGS 80041K: Engine Stand, Lift Plate & Bag Kit [1250 lb. Capacity] | JEGS

yeah and those mounting arms are pretty long to begin with. i measured and it looks like we need a minumum of about a 16" span for our bellhousings.

the other thing is our bolts are M10-1.5 and most stands have mounting arms that accept thicker bolts, so there is alot of slop in there, and they are pretty long bolts. ls guys use the same size (i think), and i read where someone added a bushing inside the mounting arm to snug it up some more.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I got mine from Summit Racing- four wheel model. I even asked them if it would fit the mod motor pattern before hand and it did. The worm gear type is overkill for a modular engine. It's easy enough to turn without it, though I strongly recommend greasing the hub where the mount goes in. It makes like a lot easier.

I would go with a bigger, heavier stand, possibly with a worm gear, if you're going to use it with bigger, heavier engines though. Mine worked with an all iron big block, but it was definitely pushing it. And it would be a must if doing medium duty diesels.

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
Recently picked up the four caster, geared head stand from Jeg's. Only used it for the 4.0 SOHC from my Explorer, but it seems more than sturdy enough and would recommend the geared version if you can swing it.

boost88

Established Member
I used a larin 1250lb capacity stand when I did my 4v. Worked great

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread