Best Electric Razor

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
Looking into getting an electric razor. I'm getting tired of the whole shaving cream / razor routine and need something quicker and easier. Anyone have any recommnedations? What are using and are you happy with it?

Paul

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
methinks youll be back. Your face wont like an electric after growing up with a manual razor/cream, and vice-a-versa (if you grow up with electric your face wont like a razor).

I dont know anyone thats been able to make the switch.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Looking into getting an electric razor. I'm getting tired of the whole shaving cream / razor routine and need something quicker and easier. Anyone have any recommnedations? What are using and are you happy with it?

Paul

I have a norelco 9160xl and i love it. But i guarentee you, you will be back to a manual razor afterwards. The good thing about an electric is it trims hairs in areas where a razor would give you cuts. I just go over my face with a razor afterwards. :beer:

ViciousJay

Established Member
electric is for girls, i have sensitive skin and all i do is i let the shaving cream sit on my face for a couple of minutes before going to town or ill shave with lotion that helps alot

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
electric is for girls, i have sensitive skin and all i do is i let the shaving cream sit on my face for a couple of minutes before going to town or ill shave with lotion that helps alot

You use warm or cold water?

I found switching to Edge Pro-Gel with extra moisturizer and cold water and not going over the same area more than 1-2 passes each direction helps alot. I use the Mach3 turbo (with the vibrating action) and it glides across skin like butter, even against the grain.

I usually do one pass of downstroke (with the grain) to remove 95% of the hair, and one pass upstroke (against the grain) to make it buttery smooth, and then one final left to right pass (against the grain) to kill anything left. My facial hair grows down and to the right, so if I dont do a lateral pass I end up with crazy itchy stubble.

I found with an electric shaver, it took me 2x the amount of time to get half the result, and since its a dry action, my skin absolutely HATED it. My entire face was red half the morning. Did that for about a week and went back to manual razors.

Seraphus

I R ANDROID LEG!
Established Member
i actually use a beard trimmer on "0". its quick and easy.

every now and then when i have a big event to go to ill use a razor but my skin hates it even though its what i used the first 4 years i started shaving.

ViciousJay

Established Member
You use warm or cold water?

I found switching to Edge Pro-Gel with extra moisturizer and cold water and not going over the same area more than 1-2 passes each direction helps alot. I use the Mach3 turbo (with the vibrating action) and it glides across skin like butter, even against the grain.

I usually do one pass of downstroke (with the grain) to remove 95% of the hair, and one pass upstroke (against the grain) to make it buttery smooth, and then one final left to right pass (against the grain) to kill anything left. My facial hair grows down and to the right, so if I dont do a lateral pass I end up with crazy itchy stubble.

I found with an electric shaver, it took me 2x the amount of time to get half the result, and since its a dry action, my skin absolutely HATED it. My entire face was red half the morning. Did that for about a week and went back to manual razors.

i use the hottest water possible, after every pass i rinse, that helps me, i can grow a full beard in about 2 weeks or less

txyaloo

Established Member
i actually use a beard trimmer on "0". its quick and easy.

every now and then when i have a big event to go to ill use a razor but my skin hates it even though its what i used the first 4 years i started shaving.

This. I haven't been "clean" shaven in probably 5 years, and that was only because I was in a wedding party and the groom forced me.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I Agree with the others, your face is not gonna like the switch.

I wasted 150 bucks on an electric just to go back in a week.

Raven519

Established Member
methinks youll be back. Your face wont like an electric after growing up with a manual razor/cream, and vice-a-versa (if you grow up with electric your face wont like a razor).

I dont know anyone thats been able to make the switch.

I made the switch to regular razor just the past year after 11 years of using an electric. I get a lot less irritation now than i did before. Won't be switching back anytime soon to the electric. An added plus is that it takes half as much time now. lol

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm surprised that some say your face won't like a switch from one to the other. I used a razor from around age 16 to 40. Then I switched to an electric. I've used an electric ever since. Never had an issue with a razor. Never had an issue with an electric shaver. Just a convenience preference. I didn't have any issues switching from razor to electric.

JasonSnake

Established Member
I've tried 2 electrics and they never could get everything off. I'd still look like I hadn't shaved for two days.

What I am trying now is to razor just once a week and electric daily to keep facial hair at a min.

CSD

Banned
I made the switch to regular razor just the past year after 11 years of using an electric. I get a lot less irritation now than i did before. Won't be switching back anytime soon to the electric. An added plus is that it takes half as much time now. lol

Interesting. I started out with a razor when I was 16-17 and had irritation. Switched to electric and haven't looked back. And IMO the electric takes half the time then a razor prep/shave/cleanup takes.

I've used Norelco shavers and never had a problem. :thumbsup:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I'm surprised that some say your face won't like a switch from one to the other. I used a razor from around age 16 to 40. Then I switched to an electric. I've used an electric ever since. Never had an issue with a razor. Never had an issue with an electric shaver. Just a convenience preference. I didn't have any issues switching from razor to electric.

Bob, You're not human! :lol1:

Interesting. I started out with a razor when I was 16-17 and had irritation. Switched to electric and haven't looked back. And IMO the electric takes half the time then a razor prep/shave/cleanup takes.

I've used Norelco shavers and never had a problem. :thumbsup:

I tried the switch from razors to electric when I was in the academy. mistake, Commander wanted a bunch of clean shaven Cadets, I did pushups all week for not being clean shaven. :shrug:

CSD

Banned
I tried the switch from razors to electric when I was in the academy. mistake, Commander wanted a bunch of clean shaven Cadets, I did pushups all week for not being clean shaven. :shrug:

I had 4 instructors in my class and one of them was very strict with the shaving. He used a post card every morning to check for neck stubble. There were a few days here and there I didn't pass but I didn't mind, I invited the extra PT. Nothing like a few pushups and laps around the building at 0430 hours. :lol1:

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Honestly I dry shave with a mach 3 90% of the time. People either don't believe me or say I don't have any manly facial hair.. until they watch me do it ha. :shrug:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
In my experience, there's nothing better than a real razor. Used with hot water and shaving cream. Wakes you up in the morning, feels refreshing, and never gives you razor burn. Yup, I still use a boar's bristle brush with a cup full of soap, and a straight razor, stropped on real leather.

Seraphus

I R ANDROID LEG!
Established Member
In my experience, there's nothing better than a real razor. Used with hot water and shaving cream. Wakes you up in the morning, feels refreshing, and never gives you razor burn. Yup, I still use a boar's bristle brush with a cup full of soap, and a straight razor, stropped on real leather.

Lol that's the way my grandpa does it as well. He's had the same razor handle for like 30+ years. He uses the brush and all that stuff too. I've always wanted to try it but never have the time. Shaving is like a ritual for him lol it'll take him over 45 minutes to do everything. Granted he's almost 80 now. I'm surrised he still has steady hands. :lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread