Best driving mode

sftdyna

Established Member
Ok so ive logged a few hundred miles, broke the clutch in nice, never pushed 4800 rpm, and now im thinking of pushing the go peddle a little more! what are the best modes to really feel all the power? also which are the best modes for a decently safe compromise? I will never hole shot the car so LC is out for me, also i doubt i will need to push this car to 7000 RPM. ive set the shifting light and chime to 6300 and probably never see the other side. So far the crap goodyears havent been to bad but ive haven't used the car in temps under 60. My Michelin SS are in for the front but as some of you know the 295 105Y are on national back order so im not sure how these goodyears will react when i push the limit.

Fordfourlife

Established Member
Leave all the TC on and have fun, it came from the factory with LC and a 7000 peak rpm redline for a reason.

huggytree

Established Member
id leave all the 'helpers' on

w/o them you may get into serious trouble....ive spun my tires at 90mph at the end of 2nd gear

i have my RPM alarm set at 6700

i think you'll feel all the power you need and can ever use by just leaving the car the way you have it

sftdyna

Established Member
id leave all the 'helpers' on

w/o them you may get into serious trouble....ive spun my tires at 90mph at the end of 2nd gear

i have my RPM alarm set at 6700

i think you'll feel all the power you need and can ever use by just leaving the car the way you have it

Well im not sure about that! My last mustang was a 620hp saleen extreme which at one point had 4.11's and it felt way more radical then this. Down the line i switched to 3.73's and it would still spin threw third so im not worried about controlling the power im just wondering which mode will let me feel what it really has. I do like the current gearing as its nice to pull those long gears without shifting, thing is these cars seem to dyno at almost 80hp more then my extreme did (505) so i guess i expected it to be a little more radical when and if in the right performance mode.

7ONE7

B737 DRVR
Established Member
Ok so ive logged a few hundred miles, broke the clutch in nice, never pushed 4800 rpm, and now im thinking of pushing the go peddle a little more! what are the best modes to really feel all the power? also which are the best modes for a decently safe compromise? I will never hole shot the car so LC is out for me, also i doubt i will need to push this car to 7000 RPM. ive set the shifting light and chime to 6300 and probably never see the other side. So far the crap goodyears havent been to bad but ive haven't used the car in temps under 60. My Michelin SS are in for the front but as some of you know the 295 105Y are on national back order so im not sure how these goodyears will react when i push the limit.

What Michelins are you looking at? The 295/35/20's? The Tire Rack has them in stock in the (101Y) version which is what I have. I would not think you really need the 105 load index. Stockers are 92 load rated.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I do like the current gearing as its nice to pull those long gears without shifting, thing is these cars seem to dyno at almost 80hp more then my extreme did (505) so i guess i expected it to be a little more radical when and if in the right performance mode.

Nope, this car just doesn't feel stout. It's not violent or raw at all. I had the same impression as you when I started pushing the car too. Obviously I'm not saying the car isn't fast, it's just got such a refined flair to it you don't get your breath taken away by it. I think it would probably feel more like what I was hoping for if I had 3.73's on it and found some way to make it hook when punched. It hits softly because either the traction control interferes or you just go up in smoke with everything turned off. Either way you're not getting slammed back in the seat.

In answer to your question, only way to feel what it's truly got without modding it is to hold down TC for 5 sec to shut everything off and then you'll just have to use your skill to ride the fine line of traction.

Last edited:

sftdyna

Established Member
Nope, this car just doesn't feel stout. It's not violent or raw at all. I had the same impression as you when I started pushing the car too. Obviously I'm not saying the car isn't fast, it's just got such a refined flair to it you don't get your breath taken away by it. I think it would probably feel more like what I was hoping for if I had 3.73's on it and found some way to make it hook when punched. It hits softly because either the traction control interferes or you just go up in smoke with everything turned off. Either way you're not getting slammed back in the seat.

In answer to your question, only way to feel what it's truly got without modding it is to hold down TC for 5 sec to shut everything off and then you'll just have to use your skill to ride the fine line of traction.

Thanks, thats just the answer i was looking for! I will try that next time.

sftdyna

Established Member
What Michelins are you looking at? The 295/35/20's? The Tire Rack has them in stock in the (101Y) version which is what I have. I would not think you really need the 105 load index. Stockers are 92 load rated.

Im looking at 275/40/19 front and 295/35/20 rear, super sports. There has been rumor the 105 is slightly wider and thats the way to go.

Husky44

Established Member
Thanks, thats just the answer i was looking for! I will try that next time.
Lethal's correct, but for the first time, do it in a wide open place with plenty of room for error.

Not doubting your driving ability in the least, but part of what makes this car seem so tame is that the nannies are effective, and subtle. The first time you get into it with everything off, you might discover it's a little more raw then you expect, and that the refinement came from the nannies.

ford13

Established Member
I drove mine around with the T/C off mostly and will continue to. Just when you figure it is fast enough that the tires won't break free, they break free lol.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
In my '11 I ran around in sport mode all the time, this one I'm slowly moving in that direction. The '14 requires more respect.

GT500662

Established Member
Im looking at 275/40/19 front and 295/35/20 rear, super sports. There has been rumor the 105 is slightly wider and thats the way to go.

yteqe7y7.jpg

I had to go out to the garage and Che k to see what I had. I guess I got lucky when I ordered mine. Didn't realize they made 2 different versions.

Cam

n/a
Established Member
Haha, you just wanted to show off your wheels!

Just kidding, MPSS are my next upgrade too.

sftdyna

Established Member
Lethal's correct, but for the first time, do it in a wide open place with plenty of room for error.

Not doubting your driving ability in the least, but part of what makes this car seem so tame is that the nannies are effective, and subtle. The first time you get into it with everything off, you might discover it's a little more raw then you expect, and that the refinement came from the nannies.
Well I went for a nice ride to warm the tires and decided to give it a run to the predetermined 6300 RPM discussed earlier and found the experience to be uneventful. As a matter of fact it doesn't seem like it gets any more radical shifting at 6300 then it does at 5000 so Im guessing either the gearing like lethal said is the problem, or my Saleen was just freeky fast!

Myfast70

Established Member
Sometimes you're going the fastest when it feels like you're going slow. I had a 9.7x pass at the track and it felt like a 10.5 at best. It was perfectly smooth and not violent at all.

Fordfourlife

Established Member
The Shelby really is a low frills car because of how smooth and refined it is. My 350hp 54 ford Rod is more "exciting" to drive do to the fact its loud,body twists,abrupt shifts,low geared,instant throttle response, and spins like crazy keeping you on your toes and giving you the full "fast" effect even though it is slower.

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Well I went for a nice ride to warm the tires and decided to give it a run to the predetermined 6300 RPM discussed earlier and found the experience to be uneventful. As a matter of fact it doesn't seem like it gets any more radical shifting at 6300 then it does at 5000 so Im guessing either the gearing like lethal said is the problem, or my Saleen was just freeky fast!

That's the sneaky part of this car. It's deceiving in how it swallows up ground in huge gulps with almost no effort at all. The way to better understand is to line it up next to a car you think is fast, then watch how the Shelby just dusts it off. You can also watch how the speedo climbs compared to that of another car if you have any video of it. One of our members here posted a great video of his speedo at the Texas mile. I PROMISE you your "amazing" Saleen was not doing that. :beer:

EDIT: Here's Derek's vid

2013 GT500 193.6 MPH - Texas Mile March 2013 - YouTube

Users who are viewing this thread