Best coolant mix for intercooler?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Hi guys. So today at the shop I installed and wired in my 13-14 intercooler pump.

I managed to get it filled but noticed the fluid was heavily aerated with the pump on.. no bueno. Before I could shut the car off I realized I didnt have a clamp on the HE... and the line literally blew off. By the time I got the car shut off, all my intercooler fluid was on the shop floor... lol!

So, Im tempted to fill with straight water, but was wondering what mix you guys run. I was 50/50 on Ford Orange coolant and water, but I live in Phoenix. Not worried about freezing, but is straight water too low of a boiling point for an IC system?

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Think I would want some corrosion protection properties of the anitfreeze for the intercooler.. maybe a 75/25 mix ? I think that's still good to around 10-15 degrees before freezing.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I run a more diluted mix like 75/25 and a couple bottles of water wetter. I'm running a 10 gal rear tank though.
I have no real reason I choose this, just I know more water has better efficiency and water wetter/equivalent does help.
-J

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I run a diluted mixture in my intercooler. I usually test it to make sure I'm protected to 15*. If it should ever get colder than that, I will just add more antifreeze. It's only gotten that cold once in my lifetime.

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
On the one hand, I don’t think that straight distilled has too low of a boiling point as the circulation of the fluid should keep the temp from getting anywhere close to 212F. On the other hand, when I did extensive logging of IAT2s with 50/50 vs distilled in the quarter mile, I didn’t find any quantifiable improvement in terms of lower temps running straight distilled. I’d either simplify life and run a 50/50, or dilute it down a bit for a more “optimal” mix for your climate. As others have said, there’s the benefit of corrosion protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread