Best clutch/flywheel for a daily driver?

rudyrivera1189

Established Member
I know this topic has been brought up numerous times but I'm not sure if they are daily driving the cobras so I figured I'd start a thread. I purchased the cobra February of '11 and the clutch chatters so bad. I'm getting a nice tax refund back and I'm looking to redo my clutch and flywheel.

What do you guys recommend I get? The car is pretty much stock other than a custom exhaust, JLT short ram intake, and a tune from BAMA. I'd eventually like to pulley and port the eaton so I'm looking for something that will withstand at least 530hp. I was looking at the SPEC Stage 2 Clutch with the SPEC steel flywheel. I've heard about the stock clutch adjuster cable burning out the clutch so I'll purchase one just in case.

blksvtCOBRA714

Established Member
rxt seems to be getting a lot of positive reviews on the boards lately; however, it is quite pricey. I would say go with the spec 3+ that way you have room to grow. Many are never satisfied w/ their power levels so room for growth is always an added bonus.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd contact Promotion, very reasonable prices on clutch kits, and happy customers. I had a new rxt, but decided to sell it and try a promotion kit.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I had a 3+ for a few years and hated it the day it went in. I don't replace something unless it's worn out so I used it until it finally started slipping. Pedal effort was stockish, it chattered, and it acted differently depending on the heat outside and inside the engine compartment at the track.

Switched to a RXT and absolutley loved it. Pedal effort is "Honda like" or close to it and there's no chatter at all. If and when I go back to the 6spd a RXT with an aluminum flywheel is going back in my car.

RXT with an aluminum flywheel will be a great daily driver clutch. Then if you do end up going to the drag strip that clutch will handle just about anything you can throw at it. We currently have these in stock and offer free shipping.

Last edited:

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Spec makes a great clutch, with different stages to support different power #'s, but if you want a superb daily driving clutch with the ability to support more power than you're probably going to make, the buck stops at the McLeod RXT

Here are the clutches:
Mcleod : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
6932-07_MED.jpg

Here are their flywheels:
Mcleod : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

463408_MED.jpg

Now keep in mind, they do make the clutch for both the 10 and 26 spline input shafts. If you're still using the stock 10 spline, I'd seriously consider upgrading to 26 as the input shaft is a known weak point in the T-56. Especially if you start to make more power, the RXT w/ a 26 spline shaft will hold up very well. While rated at supporting 1000HP, it still makes a perfect clutch at lower power levels giving you the ability to make more power, without worrying about your clutch supporting it.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with. Give us a call when you're ready to pull the trigger or have any other questions. Don't forget to take advantage of your forum discount as well.

John

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i think i am going to have to try one of those rxt's next ...

mine's a daily driver, and so far i have had two of the ram powergrip clutches, and like them alot

rudyrivera1189

Established Member
I took a look at the RXT clutches and wow are they pricey! It's a little over my budget since I'm going to be getting the clutch installed by a shop so I have to compensate for that as well. I'm leaning towards the SPEC for the time being. I'm going to do some more research on this.

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I took a look at the RXT clutches and wow are they pricey! It's a little over my budget since I'm going to be getting the clutch installed by a shop so I have to compensate for that as well. I'm leaning towards the SPEC for the time being. I'm going to do some more research on this.

Spec still offers a great clutch, but not as forgiving on the foot when it comes to pedal effort.

If you're not going to spend as much on the clutch, I would advise putting the difference towards the input shaft.

Let me know if there's anything else you need

John

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member

Wow your really thinking of going spec over promotion. You should use the search function for both brands, then make a decision. I bought my kit for 309.00 dollars and it's rated to 550hp.

04oxfordvert

Established Member
so with the mcleod cluth do u need a billit quadrant and adjuster? or would stock work fine seein as how pedal effort is less then stock? would the quadrant upgrade and adjuster just be more for wear?

Torch04RedSnake

Established Member
I just put in an RXT with a new 26 spline and used my stock flywheel. Well worth the money IMO. Im never going back to anything else. Do recommend getting the adjustable pivot ball, i didnt want to test my luck as to whether ill need it or not. I shortened mine 4mm and its perfect

va boy

Established Member
so with the mcleod cluth do u need a billit quadrant and adjuster? or would stock work fine seein as how pedal effort is less then stock? would the quadrant upgrade and adjuster just be more for wear?

Yes, I would install the firewall adjuster and quadrant. More adjustability and a much more robust design, versus the plastic factory pieces.
It would only serve to make the entire set up smoother.

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
If anyone is considering making an upgrade for anything, today would be the day for our 24 HOUR 10% Valentines day online sale.

Users who are viewing this thread