best cat-back exhaust

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
best cat-back exhaust?

I once read that there was no benefit in putting a cat-back on a 97 cobra. This was in an old MM&FF. Recently I read a post that someone dynoed 10rwhp with a mac system. Who has had similar or better results and with what kind? I want one that won't drone at highway speeds. I've got a supercharged cobra and want a few more rwhp!

Last edited:

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
I think you'd definitely see more rwhp with an aftercat system, however, almost any aftermarket setup is going to drone. I've got the Flowmaster American Thunder catback which are the 2-chamber design...and they drone big time around 2200rpm. So if you don't want major drone then don't go with Flowmaster. I love the sound though, to each his own...

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Being supercharged you'll get more benefit from a flow through design like Bassani, Dynomax, etc than with a chambered like Mac or Flowmaster. However, it's not going to be that big of a difference, maybe 5 hp at the most. I like the sound of a chambered muffler myself and if you want less drone the Delta series flowmaster in any trim are designed to cut back on the drone.

hantzis

Established Member
Mac catback gave my 97 Cobra 10+rwhp across the entire powerband. The only exhaust mod I had was the resonators(not cats) gutted on the h-pipe. For only $265, it is a great bank for your buck. Only down side is that it is made out of aluminum as opposed to stainless steel. The tips are chromed though, so it has a nice look.

Best place to buy it: http://www.speedconcepts.net -> Ken is the owner and is a great person to work with. Plus he offers great prices, only $265 for the Mac catback w/2.5" tips.

Here is an article and dyno result proof:
http://www.dynoperformance.com/article_details.php?ID=22

Cheers,
Dean

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
I really like spintech.. I gained 18 HP from the cat back with no other mods. Don't have any Torque #'s diue to no lead for tach. Great sound too. Not the usual cookie cutter sound.

CANiHaveGasCash

Established Member
I have the MAC catback system. I couldn't be happier. it does drone at about 2100 but I don't mind it. Actaully I kind of like it. And another plus to the MAC system is that its easy to install. I did it by myself in 2 hours. And I am by no means a master mechanic. And if you want to get rid of the drone I have heard a set of Long tubes will stop that.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread