Best car I ever owned?

raustin0017

Established Member
Will be 55 this September and have owned a bunch of clunkers, several hot-rods and a few real nice cars. My 14 GT500 is different. There are very few nice things about it. It is more angry than nice. It is more nasty than kind. It’s unsophisticated and crude and tends to want to hurt me. It is not tame even in stock form. Countless have said it needs more power. More power…Really? I could drive my 09 M3 to the extreme with the highest confidence. It was controllable and very predictable. This beast reminds me of my Cobra replica. That car was a raw, short wheel-base, and weighed 2,450 pounds. The Shelby is its brother. I seldom relax. I rarely turn on the radio. I pay strict attention to everything. People want to race...all the time. I love every damn mile/minute. I smile and sometimes laugh when I enter my garage and turn on the lights. She sits waiting to strike. I find excuses to take a short drive. The shortest is usually around 45 minutes. This one is not for sale and never will be.

Is it the best car I have ever owned? Ya…this is the one.

Ky GT500

Established Member
Will be 55 this September and have owned a bunch of clunkers, several hot-rods and a few real nice cars. My 14 GT500 is different. There are very few nice things about it. It is more angry than nice. It is more nasty than kind. It’s unsophisticated and crude and tends to want to hurt me. It is not tame even in stock form. Countless have said it needs more power. More power…Really? I could drive my 09 M3 to the extreme with the highest confidence. It was controllable and very predictable. This beast reminds me of my Cobra replica. That car was a raw, short wheel-base, and weighed 2,450 pounds. The Shelby is its brother. I seldom relax. I rarely turn on the radio. I pay strict attention to everything. People want to race...all the time. I love every damn mile/minute. I smile and sometimes laugh when I enter my garage and turn on the lights. She sits waiting to strike. I find excuses to take a short drive. The shortest is usually around 45 minutes. This one is not for sale and never will be.

Very well said,,alot of my feelings as well. :beer:

I'll be 52 this year and feel like I'm a kid every time I fire this beast up. Took my daughter and son-in-law out with me and the wife on Saturday,, daughter noticed the LT's and H,,,said it sounded angrier when I got after it. Daughter approved. :rockon:

Last edited:

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
Good for you. I try not to put too many miles on my but every time I go to the garage I can hear the shelby begging me to take out for a spin.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member

Well said, but I have to ask: Are you on stock rubber?

My '12 had me tightening my sphincter all the time on stock rubber, but both the '12 and the '14 are very easy to drive on the Toyos.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member

I need to come to your end of town :rockon: Easily the best car I've owned.

5BANERZ

Established Member
I thought the car was amazing when it was stock. Once I put new rubber on the back (Nitto NT555R 305/35R20) it become a whole new animal. Now its off getting a bunch of mods and I can't wait to meet the monster I am going to pick up in a couple weeks. This thoroughbred is never leaving my stable. :banana:

MCDEV

Established Member

I couldn't agree more, I have owned lots of cool stuff but this car is the best and I hope to own it forever! :rockon:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member

I want your car!! I like what you had to say about it, I just wish mine felt the same way. This is easily the most controllable and docile Mustang I've ever owned. I would happily tease you and chalk it up to you being a BMW driver, but having owned one of the more difficult cars to keep on a track (the Cobra replica) you certainly should know exactly what you're talking about. I'm surprised to hear you comment their rawness is comparable.

On the flip side, I'm hoping this car will steal the crown of "Best Car I've Owned" from the 03 Cobra I replaced with the '13 GT500. So far it's looking good for the challenger. :rockon:

svt 500

Established Member
I'm in my mid 40's and have had many built stroker/blower motors but I always knew how they would react. With the 'nannies' on, I drive it like a caddy and its not often I remove them since the gy's hook up like hockey pucks. But I smile everytime I get to drive it, which hasn't been since Nov due to the crappy weather. Soon....... I hope.

Saltyoldguy

Established Member
Cool post OP. I've had some cool cars, but this is the ONLY stock car that makes me actually laugh outloud when I punch it.:banana:

Turbosixx

Established Member
I haven't had mine a month yet, only driven a few hundred miles or so. I've had several different cars including a modded C6z and even mid 9 second coyote, so I have a lot of experience to gauge the GT500 against. Right now I can't say it's the best I've had (only because I haven't had it long enough), but so far I'm really impressed. I keep looking for reasons to take the car out. Also, I've modded every car I've had. At this point I have no plans to mod it other than hood shocks, tint, and tires.

jay38372

Established Member
Mine is totally stock and on stock Goodyear tires there have been several times I've either thought, this is really going to hurt when i hit or now how do i explain being pulled out of this ditch. But ever since I've switched to Michelin's , i either say holy mother of god this thing just hooks up and goes or a huge huge smile comes across my face. Anyone who is reading this the very first mod on your list should be the tires no if's and's or but's. Now i can throw the car around and no more sphincter clenching and wondering which way I'll face on the compass dial.

svt 500

Established Member
Mine is totally stock and on stock Goodyear tires there have been several times I've either thought, this is really going to hurt when i hit or now how do i explain being pulled out of this ditch. But ever since I've switched to Michelin's , i either say holy mother of god this thing just hooks up and goes or a huge huge smile comes across my face. Anyone who is reading this the very first mod on your list should be the tires no if's and's or but's. Now i can throw the car around and no more sphincter clenching and wondering which way I'll face on the compass dial.

The goodyears work fine if its 90 degrees and the road temp is 110 but I'm still going to try and sell mine and get the Michelins. :rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread