best bikes?

4camV8

Established Member
as a new motorcycle rider i am obsessed with bikes now. i have an '03 honda magna:
magna_1.jpg

but am also diggin the BMW R1150R Rockster (see avatar)

what bikes do you all like? w/ pics please if you have them :beer:

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
I have been looking at bikes recently as well. I have a hectic commute and with the gas prices these days, i am contemplating getting a bike for economical reasons. What would be a good starting commuter bike?

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
It depends on what you want. There are bikes as small as 250cc's that have no equal in gas mileage..but they are sorta pokey-like on the highway. I would recommend getting an older used EX500 or something for a first bike. They're quick for what they are and realy good to learn on. And if you drop it or dump it you won't givva chit because it's just an old bike anyway.

FliteQH

FOXY5OH
Established Member
I am absolutely in love with this bike. It is a Harley V-Rod...

g_vrVRSCA_s_dom_c09_s1.jpg

And this one... But I am too small :shrug: The gray/silver also my favorite....
hayabusa.jpg

UCBeau

if i wasn't afraid of getting killed on one, either by a semi truck or soccer mom in her SUV, i'd have a bike. i too love the V-Rod but some of those crotch rockets are incredible.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
I love my F4i. Its just about the best balanced bike i have ever ridden. It would make an awsome trackbike for the average rider.

All of the above bikes are great in their own way. The GSXR 750 is a nice all around rider. The Busa is a hella 1/4mi machine, although too long to handle well. The new litre bikes are all extrodinary. My brother has a zx10r. The 1000rr's are comfy for sure. The R1 is the 2nd best looking bike ever built (with 03 Duc 996 being first).

If you want gas mileage, the Kawwy ZR-7 is a nice bike. Not fast though, but it will at least get you ticket for triple digits still. Or a Ninja 500.

The Bandit 1200's are extremely nice, torquey, wheely monsters, and a TON of fun to ride also.

You have to decide what you want to do. Like playing in the twisties, but dont have much riding skill? Any of the 600cc sport bikes. Like straight line power and twisties? Any of the 4 new litre bikes. Want a 1/4 mile burner only? Busa. Want something more comfy for long trips? Bimmer, Bandit. Want gas mileage? Ninja 500, ZR-7, or any 600cc bike. Wanna look like Jesse James? Cruiser. Just be careful on those. Looking cool isnt cool when you have "Escalade" in your skull because your tailight is on the ground (i am not a fan of cruisers at all. Handling is teh suck, visibility sucks because of tailight placement, the list goes on, sorry cruiser folks)

If your a new rider, get a comfy, small bike and learn to ride. Then move up in a year or so. If you have experience, try to find and ride as many bikes that you are considering as possible. Put at least 15 miles on it when testing to see how it fits YOU.

GL, and be safe. People are aiming for you out there.

Ling_650vette

Quagmires Apprentice
Established Member
I think the R1 is the sexxxiest looking piece of machienery on the market right now. Too bad i dont have the experience to hop on :(. Maybe a few more runs on MotoGP and I will....jk lol.

The 1000RR is a very comfy bike to sit on, i'll agree. Although I havent ridden it, that, the Gixxer 1000 and the R1 all fit me extremly well. The 750 is still the best balanced bike IMO on the market. Im glad to see they didnt bastardize the looks "too" much from the 00-03s. Ive always been a gixxer fan, and glad to see the 750 doesnt disappoint!

Last edited:

Livemike

Established Member
I really like my CBR 954 '02 it knows the roads better than I do. The only thing about litre bikes is they get real HOT.
Take the Motor Cycle Safety Course at your MVA.

~Lucky 13~

midget kicker
Established Member
Originally posted by FliteQH
I am too small :shrug: The gray/silver also my favorite....
hayabusa.jpg

Too small? How small? I am around 5'11" and 150lbs and can deal with an R1 but my first bike after this winter is gonna be a GSXR 600 because it fits me like a glove when I am on it. Then its time for a 1000 and a tree head on haha j/k hopefully not. My friend has a 1000 and is 5'9" maybe if that and he does fine. I dont think he has lowering links either

Last edited:

Venix

Venomous Productions
Established Member
Originally posted by FliteQH
I am absolutely in love with this bike. It is a Harley V-Rod...

g_vrVRSCA_s_dom_c09_s1.jpg

And this one... But I am too small :shrug: The gray/silver also my favorite....
hayabusa.jpg

4camV8

Established Member
they say the Honda Interceptor is the best well rounded bike. I was talking to a older guy that's been riding/racing for 30 years at dunkin donuts the other day. he was on a red '03 interceptor. said it was the best bike he's ever ridden.. too much for me at this point, but sweet:
0205mc_interceptor_opening_photo.jpg

next week, i am getting on one of it's predecessors, an '86 VFR, it'll be my first ride on a "sport" bike, which is probably good since it's only a sport by '86 standards, very similar motor to my magna... and my magna was a wider back tire... wierd... i am psyched though.
vfr750-g.jpg

BlownCobraGirl

~SVT Sweet Thang~
Busa's aren't good for handling, they're mainly made for going stright (really fast). I'd say the best bike for power and handling is an R1. I'd stay away from V-twin bikes, but it all really depends on your style. I've got some experience with yamaha, suzuki, honda etc (crotch rockets only) and I'd buy another R1 if I wasn't so afraid of getting creamed by some assclown that's not paying attention.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread