Best battery for terminator

y2kpony

Established Member
Im looking into replacing my battery soon and I am curious what would be the best one to get? I was gonna go with an optima red top but I would like to know what some of you guys are running and or if you think the optima red top is a good option. Thanks.

fast ford brian

Established Member
I have had nothing but issues with optimas over the years . Got a plain old Advanved auto replacement and it's going on 3 years without any problems.

cobracide

Established Member
Red top is good, a tad weight savings over the stocker. Been running one for a couple years now. Optima Red Top Group 25.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
My stocker recently took a dump and I just went down to NAPA and bought one of their batteries. If I were to recommend a battery to someone I would say Interstate or NAPA. Currently use both with 0 issues.

Anabolic

Banned
optima red top. FTW.. can be 20* outside. and she cranks uP OR 20* not started in a month. Might need a jump but starts right up holds a charge. I have them in all my cars.. best batteries.!

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I like optima's. I had a yellow top that did die on me after 5 years of duty without any water/fluid or whatever servicing a battery takes. Honestly it probably would have lasted longer but around 3.5 years the car went from being a dd to an engine/fuel/suspension build long term project that would get a few mods, sit for 6 months, drive 300 miles, rebuild or replace parts, sit for 6 months etc.

I think they have a 7year life span or longer depending on driving habits/demand (sound/aux etc) and maintenance.

That said, if you buy one, install it and let the car sit for 6 months fully connected without a trickle cell, you could possibly kill it without ever putting a mile on the car.

HIonPSI

Established Member
NAPAs always been good to me. A buddy of mine just bought a battery from Costco (Kirkland) for something like $60...good cca's, had a mfg date of that month etc...that being said I think I may pick up one from Costco since mine is getting a little weak. One for the cobra is $66 and their guarantee makes it worth it alone.

As for group size..someone help me out please. All the books say 59 but some places say (and people run) 58?

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
I never had much luck with red tops and storage. Killed 2 of them. My Mach 1 came with an everstart from wallyworld and I haven't had an issue with it for 3 years of storage. I have a screw type disconnect on it. If I had to buy a new one it would probably be a motorcraft , diehard, or everstart.

y2kpony

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. The other question I have is about the bag that the battery is in. Does it need to be there for a reason. Is it for insulation? It looks bad and I'm trying to keep my engine bay looking good. I took it off my old gt and had no issues, but this is a different car and I'm in pa. So It gets cold and it sits a lot. Thanks for the help again guys.

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
You don't need an Optima unless your putting it in the trunk or laying it on its side.

You will never know the difference between a cheap battery and an Optima.

Buy a battery that is cheap with a long warranty, thats all you need.

I buy Farm and Fleet batteries, I think Johnson Controls makes them.

Anabolic

Banned
get the optima, do the big 3 wire upgrade. Run 15 volts charging & call it a day, but an optima now before wasting money on others then buying one later

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
get the optima, do the big 3 wire upgrade. Run 15 volts charging & call it a day, but an optima now before wasting money on others then buying one later

You will pay 2 or three times as much for an optima as a cheaper battery with the same warranty and they have less CCA. They look cool and you can mount them on their side, and they won't spill in the trunk but besides that there's no real advantage to them unfortunately. I've drank the koolaid too in the past. The first one I had did not like cold storage and when I went to trickle charge it it was actually leaking fluid out of the vents on the top. Had it replaced under warranty and the second one also threw a fit. Might just not like storage I dunno. I had them unhooked with a screw disconnect just like my cheap everstart battery is now. They would crank really slow after a few weeks of sitting. Everstart will sit for a month and crank just fine. Just my personal experience and opinion of course.

Last edited:

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
+1

It is just a battery, it is not going to add any HP to your car buying an Optima.

I know some need the cool Factor of the Optima. :burn:

FYI I had 2 in the past and they were not any better than the cheap ones I buy and my cheap ones have a longer warranty.

I would never waste money buying an Optima again!

You will pay 2 or three times as much for an optima as a cheaper battery with the same warranty and they have less CCA. They look cool and you can mount them on their side, and they won't spill in the trunk but besides that there's no real advantage to them unfortunately. I've drank the koolaid too in the past. The first one I had did not like cold storage and when I went to trickle charge it it was actually leaking fluid out of the vents on the top. Had it replaced under warranty and the second one also threw a fit. Might just not like storage I dunno. I had them unhooked with a screw disconnect just like my cheap everstart battery is now. They would crank really slow after a few weeks of sitting. Everstart will sit for a month and crank just fine. Just my personal experience and opinion of course.

Users who are viewing this thread