Best 8 Rib Setup

CamCobra10

Established Member
:fm: it finally happened, my s trim internals are going out ...getting a ysi with a front mount air to air intercooler for my 96 cobra, what is the best 8 rib setup to go with? i called vortech and they recommend BGG with a billet tensioner...right one to go with? is there anything else i will need to for the conversion?

jpicc

Established Member
Source the parts yourself. Big savings money wise if you do. Very easy to get the correct parts. There is a post on MF where I supplied all the part numbers needed.

CamCobra10

Established Member
BGG with a 15% O/D crank and a thump tensioner.
this is what i'm going with thumpr tensioner w/pulley, but what pulley to go with 76mm or 90mm and why?

iw 15% o/d 8 rib...it has options for dual keyway and super duty hub option, need this for anything?

does anyone have the part #s of the other pulleys that i will need to finish the conversion...having a hard time finding it

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
You need the 76mm if you go with a 15% O/D crank pulley. Unless you have a double keyed crank you need the standard one, and no super duty hub option either..

CamCobra10

Established Member
You need the 76mm if you go with a 15% O/D crank pulley. Unless you have a double keyed crank you need the standard one, and no super duty hub option either..
98 saleen, just saw your car on vortech's website...you have pretty close to the same setup i'm looking to go, besides the ysi and auto, i'm looking at the 5.3 stroker..how do you like the 5.0 with the c heads?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I ****ing love it man.. The tq increase is amazing, just make sure you get some custom cams to fully take advantage of it.. I'm leaving close to 50rwhp on the table with my 98 cobra cams, but that's all about to change.

SVTPete83

Established Member
This might help if you're going
To source it yourself

1807a6c6-209a-c575.jpg

I had to buy a alt pulley today as mine got messed up this weekend so this was all fresh in my head!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^ Might as well buy the BGG kit for a little more and have all the proper spacers and shit

CamCobra10

Established Member
thanks for the part #s, i could save more since i'm buying the iw 15 o/d and thumpr 76mm, have the spacers and everything else

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^ Yea the pulley combo's for the vortech cars to make it perfect is not cheap.. I think I'm sitting close to 1k on pulleys and a tensioner hahaha

CamCobra10

Established Member
^^ Yea the pulley combo's for the vortech cars to make it perfect is not cheap.. I think I'm sitting close to 1k on pulleys and a tensioner hahaha
i can't believe i'm paying this much just on pulleys to make the charger work right, i need to custom fab something for cars to get in on the money making sucks! oh wait i'm one of those idiots haha

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
hahahaha. Yea I got lucky.. My BGG kit was like 400 bucks when I bought it.. Bought the Thump tensioner on here used for cheap and my 15% O/D crank for cheap..

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
hahaha everything is forsale for the right price.. But it won't be a price you like lol!!

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I have a less than 1,000 mile bgg 8 rib set up that I'm selling. I'm parting my car out and returning my car to stock. I need almost all the stock pulleys and can work out a swap plus a little cash if your interested. PM me if your interested.

Users who are viewing this thread