Bent another connecting rod

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
My 13's engine is out and apart for a forged bottom end. 10,500 miles on it, 8500 with a Whipple 2.9. It has been a great motor for that brief time. It used zero oil unlike my 12 which drank oil for the first 6K. I ran it pretty hard, last time out it trapped 135 at full weight, 7000DA- about 690 uncorrected. It didn't smoke, rattle or vibrate at all.

I was surprised to find one conrod tilted just a hair at the small end. Ironically it was the one that had the best condition piston. Pistons all looked great and this one did not have piston oil squirters.

I wonder how much longer it would have ran? Ford needs to put a little better rod in these motors. At least it was taken apart before nuking the block and a head or two.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Should i start building a short block soon. I don't run my car nearly as hard as slagburn, in fact never ran it at the track...... Maybe i should jump on mmr shortblock special now...

mhyjek

Established Member
What kind of tq where you putting down to the wheels? What kind of tq curve I bet you had over 500 at like 2000 rpm?? I believe that is more of the reason than the hp #...

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
690 rwhp!! and are you still wondering why you bent a rod?!!

Pretty sure I never said I was wondering why. That's obvious. What surprised me was finding this one in the very early stages of failure with no warning signs.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
What kind of tq where you putting down to the wheels? What kind of tq curve I bet you had over 500 at like 2000 rpm?? I believe that is more of the reason than the hp #...

That is a distinct possibility, both motors that did this had Whipples on them. Insta-torque= more parts stress.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Should i start building a short block soon. I don't run my car nearly as hard as slagburn, in fact never ran it at the track...... Maybe i should jump on mmr shortblock special now...

it would be a good idea to just have money ready

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Unfortunately the rods in the 2011-2014 are marginally better than the 96-04 Mustang Gt rods, they feature a nicer cap screw with increased material at the big end but the average person would not be able to tell the difference between the two rods if they were side by side.

Most of the engines that are sent to us for Forged rebuilds have bent or broken rods, in some cases the customer was not even aware of it until we took a picture and sent it to them. The bottom line is if you want to be safe a forged set of rods are suggested for anything above 600HP and while we recognize there are cars out there that are making this or more power the fatigue life of a powdered metal rod is short when pushed beyond its intended limit (the factory HP).

For those interested we have the 1000HP shortblocks on sale for $3699 or you can send in your existing shortblock for a 1000 upgrade for $2399.

Best of luck to the OP with the rebuild and if I remember correctly he has already purchased most of the rebuild parts from us so we appreciate the business!

Modular Motorsports Racing

MMR%20coyote%202.jpg

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Yes MMR was the parts source- 11.5:1 pistons showed up today so it's time to get busy, thanks MMR for the goodies!

sean04

Established Member
Unfortunately the rods in the 2011-2014 are marginally better than the 96-04 Mustang Gt rods, they feature a nicer cap screw with increased material at the big end but the average person would not be able to tell the difference between the two rods if they were side by side.

Most of the engines that are sent to us for Forged rebuilds have bent or broken rods, in some cases the customer was not even aware of it until we took a picture and sent it to them. The bottom line is if you want to be safe a forged set of rods are suggested for anything above 600HP and while we recognize there are cars out there that are making this or more power the fatigue life of a powdered metal rod is short when pushed beyond its intended limit (the factory HP).

For those interested we have the 1000HP shortblocks on sale for $3699 or you can send in your existing shortblock for a 1000 upgrade for $2399.

Best of luck to the OP with the rebuild and if I remember correctly he has already purchased most of the rebuild parts from us so we appreciate the business!

Modular Motorsports Racing

MMR%20coyote%202.jpg

How much better are the boss rods, if any?

Users who are viewing this thread