Benefit to IRS diff mounts if using diff brace?

cbehr

Established Member
I already have a IRS brace, from what I’m reading the MM urethane diff mounts just do a better job of deflecting wheel hop so the diff doesn’t flop as much and break the cover. Is this redundant with an IRS diff brace or aftermarket stronger cover or is it still helpful in some other manor?

Maximum Motorsports IRS Urethane Differential Bushings

Canuck03SVT

Established Member
Solid mount differential bushings will greatly reduce the chances of breaking a halfshaft. Watch the video on fulltiltboogieracing.com

Btw, get the Full Tilt bushings.

TP03

Established Member
There most definitely is a benefit to running a urethane/solid differential bushings. Less wheel hop! I have the same MM kit installed on my car and I could feel a big difference after install with almost no wheel hop. One point though. I had the BF brace with the MM bushings and still had issues with the differential cover weeping/leaking from slight deflection. Last spring I replaced the cover and brace with the Ford racing diff cover and no more leaking. Rear feels good and solid under throttle. So my suggestion since your going into it anyway (unless budget is tight) is to replace your cover with the Ford racing one and be done.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I would suggest buying a lpw or Ford Racing cover, then adding different bushings. I'm using the ftbr diff bushings.

My 90 coupe has a irs with just a brace. I think it's perfectly fine, but the car maybe makes 300-325hp. If I up the hp by quite a bit, I'll add a aftermarket diff cover.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you check through older threads covering this question, you'll find a general consensus that a beefier differential cover and solid differential bushings. That said, Full Tilt Boogie Racing is probably the top pick if you were to poll. MM, of course, is a solid choice. Billet Flow used to be the go-to for cover braces, but after a few years people discovered it wasn't a perfect/best solution for racing. That's when the Ford Racing cover became the go-to mod, and still is IMO the #1 choice today. Like @TP03 suggested, if your budget can be stretched just a bit, do it right and replace your diff cover with the Ford Racing cover and I'd recommend the FTBR bushings. If you're up in the air with the bushings, at least go to the FTBR website and check out their bushings. They're solid! Pun intended. LOL. You can also buy the Ford Racing cover from FTBR. Their cover price there is $269.
1999-2004 Cobra Suspension Parts and Tools

cbehr

Established Member
Thank everyone, I’ll check out the ftbr bushings and probably get the diff cover if it’s that much better to go that route. Good excuse to change out the diff fluid too then which is probably 17 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread