Bench press competition.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
tell wife to get a job, then go do stupid stuff....that way your covered.

00WHTSC281

Established Member
what competition are you in that 385 usually wins even at 35 an older??

Its a local meet. World Record for Raw bench at 181 is 556. 3.06 times body weight. I know alot of juiced guys who cant do 2x their body weight. At 2.2x weight, test clean, very few people I have met can do this.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Both of my rotator cuffs are done from all the competitions I did. There should be no question, don't do it. To be perfectly frank, the weight isn't even big enough to where your ego should come into play for this comp. I'm guessing this is sanctioned by something like SLP, too. If that's the case, the spotters are usually worthless and you're at an even greater risk.

In the future, if you have to continue competing, consider getting a single ply poly bench shirt. If you train right, the shirt will help stabilize your shoulders and reduce the risk of ending up seriously injured.

Came here to mention this, but Hal beat me to it.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Well, I understand the predicament you're in. If we knew for a fact that everything would play out smoothly then I would say, why not? But since we don't know that for sure I would have to say play it safe and don't do it, not so much because of age. As big as the risks are you have to ask what good will come out of it? Even if you were 25, what good would come of it? There are plenty of other activities that would be better worth the challenge.

00WHTSC281

Established Member
Both of my rotator cuffs are done from all the competitions I did. There should be no question, don't do it. To be perfectly frank, the weight isn't even big enough to where your ego should come into play for this comp. I'm guessing this is sanctioned by something like SLP, too. If that's the case, the spotters are usually worthless and you're at an even greater risk.

In the future, if you have to continue competing, consider getting a single ply poly bench shirt. If you train right, the shirt will help stabilize your shoulders and reduce the risk of ending up seriously injured.

Ive never used a bench shirt. It seems like cheating to me, lol! Im old school too, if it doesnt touch your chest it doesnt count. My doc told me not to take my elbows past 90 degrees, ( about 3/4inches off chest). Said it would lower stress on my shoulders but still work my chest. It just feels Like 1/2 of a rep to me. I generally dont go over 315 on a weekly basis. Your right Im not competing on a big time level, just local.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
I don't know if its just guys who are into cars....but it seems like people do a lot of stupid shit putting cars, mods and ego infront of family....what is wrong with people

00WHTSC281

Established Member
I don't know if its just guys who are into cars....but it seems like people do a lot of stupid shit putting cars, mods and ego infront of family....what is wrong with people

Wow. You can get hurt doing anything. Riding 4 Wheelers, Motorcycles, Playing a pick up game of basketball. Because your married with kids does not mean you stop living. Its people like you that end up divorced because your miserable. I could support my family on 60% of my pay, but I would rather not. You overstepped your bounds and knowledge of the situation.

zPipes

Established Member
In your shoes, it would be hard to say. From my standpoint, I'd say dont risk it when a wife and kids depend on you. That proves your more of a man, being dependable for your family.

I know how hard it is to give something up that you love though.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
The smart guy says no, moves on and trains other, etc.

The not so smart guy says if I don't do it, I will always wonder "what if?" and ends up doing it so he has no regrets.

If you do end up doing it just for that "one time" to beat the record and get first, when will you stop?

hb712

Established Member
Ive never used a bench shirt. It seems like cheating to me, lol! Im old school too, if it doesnt touch your chest it doesnt count. My doc told me not to take my elbows past 90 degrees, ( about 3/4inches off chest). Said it would lower stress on my shoulders but still work my chest. It just feels Like 1/2 of a rep to me. I generally dont go over 315 on a weekly basis. Your right Im not competing on a big time level, just local.

I understand how you feel, but it' not cheating. The original design of the bench shirt was for this type of protection. That's not to say you can never lift raw, but it may be something worth looking into.

If you have any questions, I've been doing this stuff for a long time. Feel free to PM me any time.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
"man i knew i shouldn't of done that, i should've listened to you honey"-reports to poor house
'see i told you i would be fine, i'm ****ing awesome, have a 15 inch trouser snake and I'm on svtp"-Like a Boss

choose wisely.......

00WHTSC281

Established Member
"man i knew i shouldn't of done that, i should've listened to you honey"-reports to poor house
'see i told you i would be fine, i'm ****ing awesome, have a 15 inch trouser snake and I'm on svtp"-Like a Boss

choose wisely.......

Thats funny!.........and true.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
move on with your life. unless its something you do to put food on the table, its not worth the risk. i've limited my bench to nothing more than 315lbs, stopped wood-working, and cut out some of the more hands-on car work i was doing. at this point in my life, my hands are my livelihood, and i cannot take 3 months off work to recover from an injury.

you'd need at least 3 months to recover from a torn labrum or rotator cuff surgery. put the pride behind you and move on.

Users who are viewing this thread