Bench press competition.

00WHTSC281

Established Member
I turned 35 this year. This bumps,me up in the age brackets. I have competed a couple of times, my best finish being third. My best lift is 405lbs. I did this at 188lbs. This lift was,not in a competition though.The max weight I want to compete in is 181.5. Whats holding me back is I partially tore my rotator cuff 18 months ago. My wife does not want me to compete anymore. I am the only income in the family, so if I get hurt my sick pay is only 60% of my base pay. My heart and pride say go for it, while my head and wisdom say stay healthy. I would win nothing but the pride of saying I won. The winner in this age and weight group the last three years has been 385 or less. What to do?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Um no question, you have been hurt already and willing to put some stupid event in front of your family? Be a man and choose your family, taking stupid risks ended when you decided to involve other people who rely on you. Pick up a new hobby.

Some places if you get hurt outside of work you wouldn't get a dime, you would be out on your butt, make sure that cannot happen to you.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Nope, food on the table is better than hallow glory.

Good advice right here^

Never thought it would happen to me. Measly 305lbs put me away and was outta work for 3 weeks. Tore my pectoral muscle straight down the center. It sucked big time. Just be careful out there. The pain was brutal. Yes I had good form and no I'm not a novice. 15yrs weight training prior to this happening. Sucks to learn from other peoples mistakes but you get the idea.
17fe0bc6.gif

15e0e9ff.gif

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I wouldn't risk it. You're 35, your family needs you and your body has to last another 55 years.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Its not worth it dude...

You've all ready hurt yourself once, there is no reason to do it twice...

00WHTSC281

Established Member
Good advice right here^

Never thought it would happen to me. Measly 305lbs put me away and was outta work for 3 weeks. Tore my pectoral muscle straight down the center. It sucked big time. Just be careful out there. The pain was brutal. Yes I had good form and no I'm not a novice. 15yrs weight training prior to this happening. Sucks to learn from other peoples mistakes but you get the idea.
17fe0bc6.gif

15e0e9ff.gif

Wow! Looks painful. Good advice all. My head says the same thing. My pride wants to prove im not getting old! Lol!

ff500

Established Member
I've torn both my rotator cuffs, my left was a slight tear that did not require surgery, my right required surgery. I would not risk it.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Wow! Looks painful. Good advice all. My head says the same thing. My pride wants to prove im not getting old! Lol!
you wouldn't be the first guy who let his pride show him how stupid he could be.

don't. be around to enjoy the family

noco5.0

Established Member
I wouldn't do it. I'm in a career where a serious injury could potentially prevent me from making a living if it was bad enough. Not worth it in my opinion. Pretty impressive that you can throw up that much weight, but not sure what there is to prove to anyone.

00WHTSC281

Established Member
I wouldn't do it. I'm in a career where a serious injury could potentially prevent me from making a living if it was bad enough. Not worth it in my opinion. Pretty impressive that you can throw up that much weight, but not sure what there is to prove to anyone.

Your right. It would be more to prove to myself that I could do it. And it is pointless at my age, but ive been a lifetime lifter. I enjoy it. Would be nice to have something that says your the best at it. I didnt have to have surgery for the partial tear, but a complete tear would put me down for awhile. The RIGHT thing to do is help train the younger guys and watch from the side. But thats hard to do. For those that lift they will understand. Im always like,let me,in there I can do more,than that! Lol! Family first.

Juiced 66

Established Member
I wouldn't risk it. And props to you, 405 at 188 lbs is awesome. I was never blessed with a big bench.. I'm 5'7" and 200 lbs and lean and can bench 325 on a seriously good day. 405 is impressive.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
How you gonna fap? [ wifes gonna cut you off for being stupid]
Don't do it man at 35 those teenage thoughts should be long gone.
Family first

00WHTSC281

Established Member
I wouldn't risk it. And props to you, 405 at 188 lbs is awesome. I was never blessed with a big bench.. I'm 5'7" and 200 lbs and lean and can bench 325 on a seriously good day. 405 is impressive.

Thanks. 8 plates look good on there. Ive never had my bf% below 10. I usually stay around 15.

hb712

Established Member
Both of my rotator cuffs are done from all the competitions I did. There should be no question, don't do it. To be perfectly frank, the weight isn't even big enough to where your ego should come into play for this comp. I'm guessing this is sanctioned by something like SLP, too. If that's the case, the spotters are usually worthless and you're at an even greater risk.

In the future, if you have to continue competing, consider getting a single ply poly bench shirt. If you train right, the shirt will help stabilize your shoulders and reduce the risk of ending up seriously injured.

Users who are viewing this thread