Belt won't go on

mth180

Established Member
So I bought the billetflow idler pack and got 1 92mm idler and 3 100mm idlers. I put them all on along with my 3" upper. Cobrabob's website says that for this set-up a 75" belt should work. I'm using a 76" Belt and I still can't get the damn thing on. I push the tensioner as far as it can go and I still don't have neough clearance to get the belt on. Am I doing something wrong or did I read the chart wrong? I didn't think changing the idlers would cause this much aggrivation. :nonono:

RussZTT

Established Member
What are you using to get the tensioner down? You can stick a ratchet in the hole to get it down far as it goes. Not sure if the size is correct but you can always notch it to get it lower. To do this, you will have to take it off, its held on by 3 bolts.

mth180

Established Member
Yeah i was using a ratchet to push the tensioenr down as far as it would go. I Guess I'll have to notch it. Any suggestions on how to notch it? Thank you for the quick response.

Venimus03

Established Member
Yeah i was using a ratchet to push the tensioenr down as far as it would go. I Guess I'll have to notch it. Any suggestions on how to notch it? Thank you for the quick response.

You can notch it by just getting a flat head screwdriver and a hammer and chizzle away at it. Have you tried putting the belt on the upper pulley first then, for the last place to put belt on just slide it under the upper idler?

RussZTT

Established Member
I took it off and used a dremel cut-off wheel. Made it look clean so it really wouldn't be noticed.

Spade

Established Member
I'm running the stock belt size, 75.1", with the four idlers, stock lower, and a 2.76 upper. Try a 76.5" or 77". I'm sure you can take them back if they dont fit and there not damages.

Spade

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
You don't need to notch the tensioner. Try installing the belt before you install the BF idler pulley. Use a 1/2" drive to release the tensioner and then install the idler pulley with the belt already in place. It worked for me. :thumbsup:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If anyone ever finds that a particular configuration on my Belt Selection Guide is incorrect, PLEASE let me know. These all came from many sources, and if any are not correct I'd like to make the correction ASAP. Thanks in advance.

mth180

Established Member
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I've already tried putting the belt on and then putting the aux idler on and all other combinations of putting the belt on first and then a pulley. With a 76" belt and the tensioner pushed down as far as it can go; it seems that the belt is .5 inches short of getting on.

I'm ordered the next two sizes up from napa (080760 and 080765). I'll let you know which one fits, CobraBob.

Last edited:

mth180

Established Member
I followed those instructions the first time I tried. I believe the porblem has to be that the belt is to small.

Users who are viewing this thread