Belt squeal with Paxton

Coyote13

Established Member
Just installed my Paxton(used) with a new 3.6" pulley. Would a new pulley cause belt noise? My assumption is the paint on the the pulley is causing the noise and will go away after time. The noise quiets down by a lot after driving for a while. Has anyone dealt with a belt squeal anf how did you fix it? Belt is new btw

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Make sure all the spacers are installed properly and the pulley bearings have the caps on them. You should have zero noise.

To do this remove the belt from the alternator so there is no tension on any of the pulleys. Then spin each pulley. They should spin very easily. If not then the spacer is probably installed wrong or one of the bearings is missing a cap.

On my old car I got everything put on and 1 pulley wouldn't spin and I realized it was the missing cap on the bearing.

Last edited:

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
Kevin,

Next weekend we should install it on my car so we can rule out that the Paxton kit just doesn't like your car.

All BS aside, from what I have read, a squeal is usually either the belt routing is slightly off from a misplaced/missing spacer in the bracket assembly or something foreign is on the belt.

-Nick

Coyote13

Established Member
Im positive the spacers are good. I was extremely careful installing the 8rib setup. The only possible issue is the tensioner as it was stripped but after bolting on the pulley it was checked rechecked and checked again. Its torqued and still spins freely. It sounds like its coming from the actual blower pulley.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Stupid question but did you ensure there was oil in the head unit?

If you want to rule out the belt you can get some belt anti squeak stuff from a local parts store.

Got plenty of tension on the belt?

Mine never made a noise. Hope your head unit is good.

Coyote13

Established Member
Im sure there is oil in the head unit. The drain line was leaky so I drained it and plugged it then filled it back up.

Here's my stupid question: Does the idler pulley need one of those larger, formed washers like the tensioner pulley does? That may be my culprit. I dont see one on there and am not sure if its behind it. I had another set of hands helping me during the install.

There is plenty of tension. Its a 3.6 pulley with a 101 3/4" belt with tensioner moved to furthest right hole.

Last edited:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Never had my idler pulley off. But I would assume so. Im sure you know how it works. Inner race is held down with the washer and the outer race is pressed into the pulley. I guess it's possible the bolt head is touching both races?

Coyote13

Established Member
Not too sure what you mean. Im sure nothing is touching what it shouldn't. My best bet is to give it some time. Im not even getting into boost yet so ill uave to see if it is the new pulley. If not, im taking off the idler pulley to inspect. Thanks for the help.

Coyote13

Established Member
A little behind on the learning curve. Its the tedious shit that got me. That and following the instructions seemed to go out the window when I turned my back lol. Its my luck, though.

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member
Ya it took me a lot of read read read read read read and reread but I feel I could do the install in way less time now.

Coyote13

Established Member
Same hear. I had tons of help as to being installed in a friends garage. I might even go as far as saying I can install it myself. Organizing everything and having them labeled in zip lock bags was the greatest decision out of the entire process.

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member
Ya I was really overwelmed when I first opened the box I was like **** this lol. But not bad really it was pretty easy actually.

Coyote13

Established Member
Im glad I did it. Saved a ton of money on install lol.

I cant attach the video on my phone but if you look up "Coyote13" on YouTube the video of the belt chirp/squeal is in my uploads.

Coyote13

Established Member
If you got that from the video then ill move the tensioner down one hole and see what happens. I know the belt is too short for the pulley. Hopefully that fixes it

Users who are viewing this thread