Belt shredder!

kerls03

Established Member
I just got my car back from the shop and we replaced the belt because the last one jumped the lip on the lower pulley and started to shred a little bit.
I left the shop and drove about 10 miles and decided to give it so gas from a stop to see how my new tires track. I went from 1st to 2nd and heard this loud knock that sounded like I threw a lifter so I pulled over right away and popped the hood. The belt was completely sheddered!!!!!!!!!!!!! The pieces were beating on all the parts of the car and causing the knock sound.

I must not be using the right belt size can someone help me out please.
2.93 billet flow 5 pc pulley set with a 4 lb lower from metco which size belt do I need?

Last edited:

wizdawg

aka... Brian
Established Member
what position is the lower idler in? Have a Alt. pulley? By 5pc pulley set, you mean the 2.93 blower pulley, 3 - 100mm idlers, and 1 - 90 mm idler?

TommyH03

TommyH03
Established Member
kerls03 said:
I just got my car back from the shop and we replaced the belt because the last one jumped the lip on the lower pulley and started to shred a little bit.
I left the shop and drove about 10 miles and decided to give it so gas from a stop to see how my new tires track. I went from 1st to 2nd and heard this loud knock that sounded like I threw a lifter so I pulled over right away and popped the hood. The belt was completely sheddered!!!!!!!!!!!!! The pieces were beating on all the parts of the car and causing the knock sound.

I must not be using the right belt size can someone help me out please.
2.93 billet flow 5 pc pulley set with a 4 lb lower from metco which size belt do I need?

my buddy ha the same problem with a 3lb lower try putting a washer
behind the pulley it worked for him!!!!!!

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Check your pulley alignment carefully. If the lower is off, check with Ron and Aaron at Metco. You should not have to space the lower with a washer!!

wizdawg

aka... Brian
Established Member
Last edited:

kerls03

Established Member
Fixed the problem thanks to your guys advice.
used the 1/16 washer and ground down the stock tensioner stop so that the belt would have a little play because it was a real tight fit.
thanks again!!!!

TenthScale

Established Member
kerls03 said:
used the 1/16 washer and ground down the stock tensioner stop so that the belt would have a little play because it was a real tight fit.
thanks again!!!!

that stock tentioner stop is easy to fix.. get a big flat head screw driver and a hammer.. 1 good wack and the stop will shear off.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
kerls03 said:
thanks again!!!!
I was just going to jump in with a ditto on this being an alignment issue. Glad you got it fixed. Kudos to the guys above for pitching in to help. :beer:

kerls03

Established Member
Went to sears because I have a sears card and bought a set of sumotoma hrtt or something like that. They look great and the rubber softness is pretty close to a street slick without the ugly tire about a 220 wear with double a grip on dry street. the best thing about it was they were on clearence for 81.00 each. At that price I can afford to smoke'em. I bought 6 tires so I would have spares. Night and day compared to the run flat goodyears.

BelvedereGTX

Banned
kerls03 said:
Went to sears because I have a sears card and bought a set of sumotoma hrtt or something like that. They look great and the rubber softness is pretty close to a street slick without the ugly tire about a 220 wear with double a grip on dry street. the best thing about it was they were on clearence for 81.00 each. At that price I can afford to smoke'em. I bought 6 tires so I would have spares. Night and day compared to the run flat goodyears.
thats cool bro. I got a good price on the evo z's ill post pics of them sometime, but they are soft and grab. The stock tires would spin all the way through second. These make it hard to spin in first without popping clutch

Users who are viewing this thread