Belt a chirping possible belt length issue?

cobra-k

Established Member
Been noticing my belt chirping away after I replaced my stock alt with a rebuild. While they were rebuilding I had them swap the 2.8 alt pully with a 3.0. As that was the only size I could get my hands on quickly. Now the belt only chirps on startup and goes away when it's warmed up. I have a brand new belt fitted while I still I had the 2.8 pully on. My question now is am I really going to have to swap to another new belt just for a 0.2inch pully swap?

03' White Snake

Established Member
1 question, is it a Gates belt?

If answer is yes, throw it in the trash or keep it in the trunk for a spare.

Go to this chart..... http://www.goodyearep.com/productsdetail.aspx?id=3128 and find your belt length and number of ribs. Take the p/n from the left column, go to www.rockauto.com and insert that number. Then buy the belt. RA is the cheapest I've found for gatorback belts.

This will fix your chirp. Gates belts are junk.

Your welcome.

cobra-k

Established Member
I'm using a dayco belt, Is it possible that the belt is too tight now after changing the alt pully so when I cold start it, it's chirping until it warms up and stretches?
I thought Kenne bell dont recommend using good year gater backs, it says right on there website.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
Also have had alot of chirping belt issues with the gates that were corrected with same size Goodyear belt. But since this is same belt that was on it, it's possible that a tighter belt might be putting more strain on an already weak idler bearing. Also possible that the chirp is coming from the new alt pulley. May not be installed all the way in, alignment off. As for Goodyear belts on a kb setup. I ran them for years with my 2.2, not sure why kb advises against them.

Last edited:

03' White Snake

Established Member
I asked the KB techline and they said there is no reason you cannot run Gatorback belts. Good enough for me. I've been running mine for 3 years with zero issues.

Users who are viewing this thread