Be Careful!

jasonc32amg

Established Member
I know there are alot of riders like myself on this site...this really sickens me :mj:

Illegal driver arrested after fatal cycle crash
By Dwayne Robinson

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

LANTANA — A 42-year-old mother of two was killed Sunday evening after an illegal immigrant arrested four previous times for driving without a license stopped his truck in the middle of traffic on South Military Trail to find his cellphone, according to police.

Motorcyclists riding behind the truck crashed into it, claiming the life of Lantana resident Kimberly Jo Dahmer and seriously injuring her husband.

Daniel Rodriguez Mendoza, 21, of 3919 Nowata Road, was denied bail Monday on charges of driving without a license and leaving the scene of a crash resulting in death.

The family of Dahmer, who was on one of two motorcycles that slammed into the rear of Mendoza's 1988 Chevy Blazer, say those charges are not enough.

"He's got to be charged with murder; he's the reason she's dead," said Valerie Audain, Dahmer's niece. "Why should he get a chance to enjoy his own family? Jail is too easy."

Dahmer was riding northbound on South Military Trail near Blue Pine Circle on the back of a 1996 Harley-Davidson before 6:30 p.m. Sunday. The driver was her husband of 17 years, Steve Dahmer. He and two others aboard another Harley were taken to Delray Medical Center. On Monday, his 43rd birthday, he was in surgery still unaware of his wife's fate.

"They were soulmates," Audain said. "You never met two who belong together like them."

His family said doctors were trying to save his leg and will operate again today.

The driver of the other motorcycle, Pierre Nadeau, 49, of West Palm Beach, was in serious condition Monday afternoon. His passenger, 43-year-old Lynne Gardner, also of West Palm Beach, was released from the hospital.

None on the motorcyclists was wearing helmets when Mendoza abruptly came to a stop, said Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Terri Barbera. Following the crash and Kimberly Jo Dahmer's ejection from the bike, an unscathed Mendoza made a U-turn, fleeing about 500 feet before motorcyclists riding with the crash victims forced him off the road and removed his car keys, police reported.

Mendoza later told sheriff's deputies he stopped his truck because he thought he saw his cellphone in the road, Barbera said.

Dahmer left behind a 16-year-old daughter, a 9-year-old son and a 2-month-old grandson, relatives said. Friends and family gathered at the Dahmers' Ocean Avenue home Monday afternoon were infuriated that Mendoza had previous arrests for driving without a license.

In the span of one year, between July 2003 and March 2004, Mendoza was arrested four times on that charge, according to Florida Department of Law Enforcement and other state records. Out of the five total charges he faced, one of which was filed after an accident, he was found guilty once, for speeding, records show. He also was charged Sunday with failure to appear in court after one of the previous arrests.

The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office said Mendoza could face additional charges. Dahmer's family demanded just that on Monday.

"I am furious," said Dahmer's sister, who relatives identified as Kelly McArthur. "I am totally furious. My sister is my best friend, and now she's gone."

unclesams_svt

B.O.H.I.C.A
Established Member
Both are at fault in my opinion. Yeah I agree why did the truck stop in the middle of the road just to look for his phone, but why in the hell were they not wearing helmets? That is really stupid I bet that guy would still be alive today if he was wearing one. Don't get me wrong that driver should not be behind the wheel but that is are legal system.

jasonc32amg

Established Member
unclesams_svt said:
Both are at fault in my opinion. Yeah I agree why did the truck stop in the middle of the road just to look for his phone, but why in the hell were they not wearing helmets? That is really stupid I bet that guy would still be alive today if he was wearing one. Don't get me wrong that driver should not be behind the wheel but that is are legal system.

Unfortunately they lifted the helmet requirement in FL a couple years ago. I know it's stupid, but it's legal. I never ride without helmet, jacket, and gloves...but it seems like the harley crowd doesn't get it. It just pisses me off that this guy should not have been on the street, or in the country for that matter... :cuss:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
unclesams_svt said:
I cringe evey time I see someone riding without gear. Flesh and bone don't hold up well against metal and asphalt. :(

ESVEETEE

Established Member
Is it just me or is that more of a case of following too closely?? One must assume that the person in front of you could in fact lock up his brakes, and you should allow enough space to be able to react in that situation. i dont see why people blame the illegal immigrant.

Thats not to say the dude was innocent, he was drivin without a license, and an illegal immigrant in the country, but the fact is they were following too closely.

unclesams_svt

B.O.H.I.C.A
Established Member
racerat said:
I cringe evey time I see someone riding without gear. Flesh and bone don't hold up well against metal and asphalt. :(

I agree 100%, what really gets me is when someone is ridding in flip-flops shorts and a tank top. I just say to my self "organ donor" to put it nicely.

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
The guy needs more serious charges. But murder isn't one of them. Perhaps negligent homicide aka Involuntary Manslaughter.

Of course, when you get on a motorcycle, especially without a helment, you are assuming alot of risk. We all know there are idiots out there on the road.

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
esqeddy said:
Of course, when you get on a motorcycle, especially without a helment, you are assuming alot of risk. We all know there are idiots out there on the road.
I know I cant believe some people. You could bust your skull open going 10 mph, let alone going 40-50 :uh oh:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I see more crotch rockets not wearing helmets than harley riders around here.

Best part is that most of them the helmet is on the back peg.

Users who are viewing this thread