BBS Plasma Rims + Aftermarket brakes?

Friendchicken

I understand that there are clearance issues? Anyone with these rims have a problem with brake upgrades to the caliper/rotors?

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Pretty much nothing will fit. The stock Cobra caliper is about 3\8 in away from the back of the wheel. Cobra R Brembos will not even come close to fitting. Stoptechs are larger than Brembos, so they are out.

You can use spacers, but that defeats the purpose of running these wheels as they are the perfect offset. The would need at least a 1\2 inch spacer (probably more) to get Brembos to fit. That would look pretty stupid on the car.

To give you an idea, I have Cobra R brembos on my 04, with stock 04 wheels. I can fit my pinky between the caliper and the spoke. With stock calipers, that gap was easily 2 inches. Personally I will be putting fake FR500s on my car.

The gap is slightly larger than my pinky between the stock caliper and the back of a BBS RK.

Ashley

Last edited:

Friendchicken

Thanks for the bump Bob :thumbsup:

LOF, thanks for all that info. You saved me 1500.00 for rims and tires :)

LTHL PSI

All bow to Sid
Yes he did, I was the first to bite the dust when I bought my BBS RK back in early 03, you should have seen my face trying to put these wheels on with my Brembo R brakes, I just about shit and yelled every curse word known to man.

LTHL PSI

All bow to Sid
ShelbyGuy said:
you would need at least a 9" wide rim to clear the brembos and last i checked the bbs rk plasma wheel of which you speak is an 8" wheel.

all ford 9" wheels clear the brembos. i dont know about aftermarket.

Not necessarily, just the right offset. My HRE front wheels are 8.5" just like the BBK RK, however the offset is totally different.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
LTHL PSI said:
Not necessarily, just the right offset. My HRE front wheels are 8.5" just like the BBK RK, however the offset is totally different.

Yup it is all offset and spoke\wheel design.

The deep dish on the RKs that make them look so good is the very thing that prevents their use with larger brakes. The offset on the RKs is not much different than stock.

InArmyWPride

Venomous Productions
Established Member
So i have Baer Cross and slotted. AND THOSE WONT FIT WITH THE BBS RIMS THAT I HAVE? I NEED TO KNOW SOON CAUSE MY WHEELS ARE STILL ON BACKORDER AND COME IN ABOUT A WEEK SO I CAN STILL CAN THE ORDER!
-CORY

LTHL PSI

All bow to Sid
InArmyWPride said:
So i have Baer Cross and slotted. AND THOSE WONT FIT WITH THE BBS RIMS THAT I HAVE? I NEED TO KNOW SOON CAUSE MY WHEELS ARE STILL ON BACKORDER AND COME IN ABOUT A WEEK SO I CAN STILL CAN THE ORDER!
-CORY

Cory,

If i am reading your question right you ordered Baer Rotors? The rotors arent the problem it is the Calipers on the Big Brake kits that are fatter than the stock ones thus having them rub on the inside spoke of the wheel. Hope you understand what im trying to say :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread