Battery Tray Bolt Size?

mnetwork

Established Member
I finally got around to getting the battery tray out of my Cobra. It bought the car a few years ago and just realized the other day it didn't have a tie down. The tie down bolt was rusted and broken and no one ever bothered to change it. Just ordered a new OEM tray and tie down wedge, but I will also need to replace the bolt that bolts the tray to the frame rail. Does anyone know the size of this?

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
I took mine to the hardware store and matched it up in the aisle on their pegboard.

mnetwork

Established Member
I believe they are M5's if I remember correctly.

M5 is only fine thread. As for length, just measure.

--Joe

I took mine to the hardware store and matched it up in the aisle on their pegboard.

So, I wound up not even needing a bolt. I purchased an OEM tray, but a Dorman hold down kit (http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemdetail.aspx?ProductID=942&SEName=00588). The kit comes with two bolts, an extended one and a shorter one (which these use stock). I liked the longer one (black) for easier access and the shorter (gold) one wound up being the perfect bolt for bolting the tray to the frame rail. Good info for anyone going through this. Slathered the bolts in red bearing grease, so hopefully that protects it from future corrosion. All good now.

00588-007.JPG

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
So, I wound up not even needing a bolt. I purchased an OEM tray, but a Dorman hold down kit (http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemdetail.aspx?ProductID=942&SEName=00588). The kit comes with two bolts, an extended one and a shorter one (which these use stock). I liked the longer one (black) for easier access and the shorter (gold) one wound up being the perfect bolt for bolting the tray to the frame rail. Good info for anyone going through this. Slathered the bolts in red bearing grease, so hopefully that protects it from future corrosion. All good now.

00588-007.JPG
Thanks for the link, just grabbed a new one. Mine was a little worn.

Users who are viewing this thread