Battery Tender winter storage....

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
N00b question here, but I'm getting ready to store my car for the first time ever over winter due to relocation and don't have my own garage since I'm in an apartment. Can you just the pull the battery out and bring it with me every two weeks when I go to start the car? I'm worried that the storage unit won't have wall outlets (is that dumb, or is that standard?).

Sounds like a good plan. Get yourself one of these.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Battery+Carrier+Strap+-+Universal/N2353/C0005.oap

BME

KING
Established Member

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
No, it won't affect the tune. It will clear the operational data stored in memory which is no big deal. Once the car is out of storage and on the road again, the memory will start building another data base, to bring the monitors up to readiness.

Last edited:

03SVTscott

Established Member
How I have always stored my car....which I know is not the right way....is Ive pulled the battery.

The problem I'm running into....is I don't drive my car much....when I go to get it inspected it doesn't pass readiness...so I figure put it on a battery tender (and the wife's) and bam no more readiness issues in the spring when I go to get it inspected.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
How I have always stored my car....which I know is not the right way....is Ive pulled the battery.

The problem I'm running into....is I don't drive my car much....when I go to get it inspected it doesn't pass readiness...so I figure put it on a battery tender (and the wife's) and bam no more readiness issues in the spring when I go to get it inspected.

The repair manual might give you specifics on what drive cycles will bring the monitors up to readiness.

03SVTscott

Established Member
The repair manual might give you specifics on what drive cycles will bring the monitors up to readiness.

With job new baby etc.....plus upstate NY weather I just couldn't get it inspected until after May. And by that time the inspection had expired. I actually had my dad drive it through the drive cycles because I had no time. Im hoping to alleviate all that this year, and leave it on a tender all year and be good to go come spring.

Black2010

Established Member
No concerns about a tender failing and potentially causing a fire? I keep my car in an enclosed RV storage facility a mile from my house. I store 3 cars at a time and I've always wanted a tender for the cobra as well as our vette since both generally only get driven on nice weekends and sit up a lot. I go to start them and drive them around the storage parking lot a few times at least once every two weeks but the vette battery seems to never hold well. I've wanted to put a tender on it but it always makes me nervous that the part that turns the charger off will fail and it will cause major issue.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I had a battery tender brand one fail, but it just wouldn't charge anymore and it was old and beat up. Even if the charger didn't switch to float correctly, I don't think it would catch or cause a fire as it's only outputting two amps. Worse it's going to do is kill your battery.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
No concerns about a tender failing and potentially causing a fire? I keep my car in an enclosed RV storage facility a mile from my house. I store 3 cars at a time and I've always wanted a tender for the cobra as well as our vette since both generally only get driven on nice weekends and sit up a lot. I go to start them and drive them around the storage parking lot a few times at least once every two weeks but the vette battery seems to never hold well. I've wanted to put a tender on it but it always makes me nervous that the part that turns the charger off will fail and it will cause major issue.

We leave ours on the sleds and 4 wheelers year round at the cabin with no worries at all. Worst that happened to us was that the circuit breaker tripped because of something else so our stuff didn't get charged for who knows how long.

Edit: I also keep my Cobra on it all the time because I don't drive it much. I don't like the idea of starting it just to charge the battery. Think it's worse for the car than just sitting on the charger.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread