Battery Question???

DREAMCOMETRUE

Established Member
This is probably a stupid question but here goes. The last few rides i had with the Cobra I was finding the car not performing like before, but i just tought it was my imagination. Anyway last week,I decided to change my Battery cause I notice it was slowly dying on me. Did not want to damage my alternator so like i said I changed it for bxt59 Motorcraft. On my 1st ride after the change I could feel a diffrence in power, the Cobra felt like before running STRONGGER!!! So my question is could a week battery affect the performance?? or I am imagining things??

Thanks and sorry if it sounds stupid but I really dont know?? Sorry also for my English:shrug:

GodStang

Established Member
Yes as Brutal said when you can not supply enough voltage to your fuel pumps the amount they flow goes down killing the performance.

Jefe

Established Member
You dont know how dead it is until the new one is in. Amazing how much faster the car cranks over too.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
HELL YES! When you datalog and see low voltage it'll effect your fuel pump flow among many other things!

I agree. I think I just got rid of my voltage problems and the car runs so much better now. To me the fuel pump voltage is a biggie. My car was running lean because it did not have enough voltage at the pump. Scary stuff:(

pavich91

Established Member
glad Istumbled on this post!
My batt just died and I'm hoping this bad battery had something to do ith my car running slower times at the track and on the street. It just doesnt feel as fast as it was when I bought it. Getting new battery today, can't wait to see if there is any differences!

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
glad Istumbled on this post!
My batt just died and I'm hoping this bad battery had something to do ith my car running slower times at the track and on the street. It just doesnt feel as fast as it was when I bought it. Getting new battery today, can't wait to see if there is any differences!

Well the more you get used to it the slower the car seems. And your Supercharger isn't a Kenny Bell, its a Kenne Bell (In your sig)

pavich91

Established Member
ya, thought abouty that too but my track times tell me different.
being a rookie racer my best was 11.6 @123mph last year, this year all I could do is 11.95 and couldn't beat 113mph...so this is why I asked.;-)
and thanks for letting me know about my typo!

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
ya, thought abouty that too but my track times tell me different.
being a rookie racer my best was 11.6 @123mph last year, this year all I could do is 11.95 and couldn't beat 113mph...so this is why I asked.;-)
and thanks for letting me know about my typo!

Awe ok that makes sense! And no problem man :beer:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Interesting thread! I may grab a motorcraft one this spring when the car comes out of storage. Right now I have a optima and it's on a battery tender. I would have to upgrade to a tray made for this battery, might as well use the cash towards a motorcraft!

Whats the avg volts you guys are seeing? My aeroforce shows around 13.5

arc00ta

Established Member
This is interesting, I might have to swap out my battery because my car cranks over really slowly. Wheres the best place to get the motorcraft one, or is it dealer only?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
This is interesting, I might have to swap out my battery because my car cranks over really slowly. Wheres the best place to get the motorcraft one, or is it dealer only?

Just checked a bit, O'reillys has them for 124.99, checked tousley and there around 97.00 bucks, not sure on shipping though. I may check my local dealer too.

pavich91

Established Member
lol, now everyones going to buy new batteries based on this thread.lol

it would make sense to me if you loose power tho, cause I don't think my new aluminator motor is lagging on HP...well I would hope not anyway but I don't know anything.lol

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Yeah, I'm still on the factory battery after 35K miles and almost 8 years. Last year my aftermarket car alarm started getting flakey on me and I noticed it cranking slow / longer starts, so I checked my battery and found the cells were low (just below the top of the plates). Topped them off and picked up a BatteryMinder. I usually keep it on the charge over the weekends and it is much better than it was.

However, after reading this I think I might be in the market for a new battery.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Motorcraft batteries are tough. My buddy would store his 5.0 and leave the battery in and still hooked up for 5-6 winters in minnesota. Always cranked right up in the spring time.

Users who are viewing this thread