Battery question

cobra-k

Established Member
Just started to notice my battery light... It comes on whenever I get on the car with any load and then turns off when I let off. Anyone have this problem before is it battery or alternator related? It Only comes on under load...

big dad

Established Member
More than likely the alt. is getting ready to punch out. Lots of threads about this concern.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Yup many many threads on this. Your alternator is dying. Low voltage when you punch it because the alternator is not performing like it should causes the low battery light to display on the dash. Best to repair before it strands you.

cobra-k

Established Member
Thanks for the responses it's the alt was only reading 12v at idle wasn't charging will have to figure which alt I want now. I did notice other threads and thanks for recommendations. I guess now it doesn't matter which alt to choose as they all seem to be on borrowed time.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Thanks for the responses it's the alt was only reading 12v at idle wasn't charging will have to figure which alt I want now. I did notice other threads and thanks for recommendations. I guess now it doesn't matter which alt to choose as they all seem to be on borrowed time.

Pretty much. Lots of debate on the forums about what the best alternator is. Some are definitely better than others but eventually they all seem to succumb to the extreme heat. My theory is been just a couple inches in front of the exhaust manifold is killing them. After a quick drive I posted some stats in a thread somewhere of the temps I recorded on the back side of the alternator radiating from the exhaust manifold. I've been meaning to build a little heat shield but hadn't gotten that far yet.

You'll get a lot of answers on what alternator to get. Myself I eventually just grabbed an auto parts store life time replacement unit so I'd not have to keep buying replacements. Knock on wood it's been in there over 2 years and still going strong but if it ever dies I'll get a free replacement :)

Users who are viewing this thread