Battery Light Solid On

digital911

Established Member
Does anyone know why my battery light would be solid on (dim, but solid).

I have a Ford OEM battery and a Nations Alternator.

I use an ODB MX data link to log data and I can see my alternator is pushing 13.9-14.1 volts continuous.

What would cause this light? I Know for sure when it flashes that means the voltage is dropping but I've never seen it stay dim light.

Does this mean I have a bad ground or something?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Since you're measuring 14 volts I'd guess its a wiring issue. Either that little wire near the alternator / power distribution box that supplies the power to the dash for the light. I forget the color, green? or grey. Either that or a ground or something else.

digital911

Established Member
Since you're measuring 14 volts I'd guess its a wiring issue. Either that little wire near the alternator / power distribution box that supplies the power to the dash for the light. I forget the color, green? or grey. Either that or a ground or something else.

I had the same issue. Come to find out it was a blown fuse.

Sent from my Pixel using the svtperformance.com mobile app
OK so I found the issue. First I thought it was a bad ground Because I had a failing battery terminal on the negative post. I fixed that. But same issue persisted and got worse today to the point my car stalled. So then I went and bought a brand new battery from AutoZone because it was an emergency. BTW, can you believe that they have become so cheap that they removed the battery handle? I even paid for their premium battery and it still doesn't come with the handle. That's not going to be fun pulling this battery out in the future!
Anyway I installed the new battery, car cranked right up and I was monitoring voltage and voltage was reading a hair over 12v. I immediately knew my alternator was not working properly. So then I drove the car back to my work, as I broke down nor far from work. It was night by now and I have HID headlights which pull something crazy like 20K volts! So needless to say, driving less than a mile back to work with the HID's on and return fuel system screaming away, the voltage had already dropped to 11.8V or so. Shut the car down in my work parking lot. Started thinking, I bought this Nation's alternator to avoid this exact problem and I was starting to feel REALLY bummed considering the cost and hype around this alternator that it was to be THE CURE for cobra alternator woes. And I've only had it for 8 months or so! Then it hit me, this alternator is externally regulated. I just so happened to have a spare on hand in my office as the original one sent had a small cosmetic defect. I said what the hell, let me swap the regulator and see what happens. Fired up the car and immediately voltage went to 14.4V. VOILA, success! Tuned the little screw till I got it around 14.2.

So tomorrow I will call Adam Nation's to RMA my broken regulator so I can have one on hand. If that's all that fails on this alternator it will be worth it because changing the regulator as apposed to the entire alternator is so incredibly easy!

I'm very happy I am not having to line up an alternator swap this weekend!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Glad you got it fixed. Odd you were data logging 14 volts from your alternator initially when the battery light was on.

Users who are viewing this thread