Battery light on under hard acceleration

RedfireRed03

Established Member
When I accelerate hard, my battery light comes on. I just did a 2.76 pulley, tune, and boost a pump. My stock alternator was taking a dump the 2nd time I drove it after the pulley, so I replaced it with a start n charge and wire upgrade. Battery is only about a year old and the connections are clean. Any ideas what's causing this? Doesn't matter what accessories are on/off and it doesn't seem to affect their function. Is the BAP pulling that much juice? It never did this before the pulley/tune/BAP.

RedfireRed03

Established Member
And at various different RPMs under load, the actual voltage readings are????

Good question. Haven't gotten that far in. Just figured since my setup is very common, others might have experienced the same issue. What's the easiest way to check voltage on these cars since they don't have a battery gauge?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Good question. Haven't gotten that far in. Just figured since my setup is very common, others might have experienced the same issue. What's the easiest way to check voltage on these cars since they don't have a battery gauge?

Data logging with a hand held tuner, because you can check it while driving and putting load and rpm into the equation.

classicguy

Established Member
A battery test is easy to perform and can be done at home. First, open the hood then start the car. While the engine is running remove the negative cable from the battery. If the vehicle stalls or dies more than likely the alternator is bad. This happens because the alternator is not generating enough electricity to keep the engine running on its own. If the car continues to the run the problem may lie with the battery.

Two of the easiest methods to determine if your alternator is dying are the headlight test and the battery test. The headlight test is easy to perform and should be performed outdoors to ensure that you don't have a carbon monoxide buildup inside your garage. To perform the headlight test, start your car and turn on your headlights. With the vehicle in park press on the accelerator while a second person observes the headlights. If the headlights dim or get brighter when the accelerator is pressed down your alternator may be bad. No change in the headlights indicates that more than likely your alternator is fine

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
its your alt. i have been through 3 to 4 of them since owning my car...and the battery light coming on here and there, while doing a hard pull has always been the FIRST sign of the alt going. better replace it soon. eventually the light will get to where it comes on more and more, then stays on. by that point the alt is going to die at any moment, and leave you stranded.

Users who are viewing this thread