battery drain and rear speaker noise

kingcobra9450

Established Member
Ok well I posted this a couple weeks ago and i still cant find the problem. My battery and alternator are brand new without underdrive pullies. When my car sits for over a week the battery is dead. With the car off i hooked up my amp meter and there is almost a 12 volt drain from the fuses for my alt, audio and int lamps. I checked and there arent any lights that stay on and i unplugged the 2 amps under the speakers but the drain was still there. Also there is like a whining noise coming from the rears speakers almost every time i drive. however only once or twice did the noise correspond with revving my engine. Any ideas??? thanks

Hockeyman48

Established Member
I assume you mean a 12 amp drain. Do you have a capacitor on your alternator. For sound attenuation? They can leak and drain battery.If they go bad, you get whining that increases with rpm's through your speakers

kingcobra9450

Established Member
I meant 12 volts (its a 12 volt battery) I should have said volt meter but they are all the same. Anyway this sound came both before and after the alt change so I dont think its the capacitor. I guess ill try some of the diagnostic stuff. This is really beginning to piss me off....

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
When I bought my car four years ago the rear amps went bad shortly thereafter. My battery kept going dead if I didn't drive the car about every other day. Bought used amps from Wilson's Ford Salvage, swapped them out and no probs since.

llDemonll

Established Member
my rear right speaker sometimes (1 out of 15 times or 20 times) will do the same thing, i just turn the car off, let it sit for ~30 seconds, turn it back on and im fine.

as for battery drain, check cables, check cables again, and check them again. easiest thing (if you have access) is to get a 10/300 amp-meter and hook it up to ur battery between the battery and a terminal (disconnect one and connect battery to cable w/ the meter) and start pulling fuses until you have less than ~250ma on the battery w/ the car off (assuming the draw is >250ma in the first place)

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
i have the same battery drain problem i have a draw at the audio fuse in the engine compartment location i took the fuse out and no more drain could this be a bad amp problem which amp could it be also my stereo seams to work fine with no speaker noise? does a bad amp cause a drain to the audio circuit fuse?

Users who are viewing this thread