bassani mid lengths or hooker LTs

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
Which should i get?? Theyre both expensive The bassanis will be easier to deal w/ and i have the mid pipe to match already but if the Hp gains arent there i want the long tubes....

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
ok scratch that it says they only fit bassanis 5 piece mid pipe but i have a one piece stainless o/r pipe. I can cut and weld it to fit though which is what i would probabally do w the hookers as well.

I hate welding stainless though...

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
The consensus is that the most gains will be had from the long tubes. The bassani mids are close to long tubes but make a little less power. I have seen the two discussed but never a direct dyno sheet comparison of the same or two very similar cars with each set up.

The cost of install, whether you have it installed ($) or do it yourself (PITA) is high, so a lot of people favor getting the most bang for your buck by getting long tubes. However, most longtubes will require you to take off one of the headers to remove the t45 transmission (with the exception of hooker and flowtech I think).

The bassanis will allow you to remove the t45 without taking a header off and allow a little bit better ground clearance if your car is lowered.

I've got a set of bassani mids sitting in the closet, and they have been there for over a year because I just haven't had a way to get them installed. My x pipe is the three piece BX version, and I'm pretty sure it will fit the mids - I sure hope so!!!

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
well im about to pull the engine to do some work and i refuse to put it back in the car w the stock manifolds. AND im putting in a clutch at the same time so thats that. If you want to sell your bassani mids let me know.

oh yea i see your in ky where? I am in evansville IN right now but am transferring to UK in January.

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
I'm in Morehead. Its about an hour east on 64 from Lexington.

I've thought about selling them, but I would really rather have them on the car. I'm not sure if the egr hook ups would work with your 98. There are some slight exhaust diffferences on the 98 models.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Dude I had to remove the passenger side header to remove the t-45. It was a bitch! And I have the bassani midlenghths. Unless you have a tubular k you will have to remove header to take out the t-45. The bassani headers are nice, good low tone, not too much vibration that is usually associated with long tubes plus the torque gains were noticable. And bassani is top notch in quality. I vote bassani.

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
i think im leaning twards bassani. Thanks for the input guys.

I think im going to get the egr stuff turned off and then deleted anyhow. same w/ the smog pump as i wont have cats anymore.

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
97desertCobra said:
Dude I had to remove the passenger side header to remove the t-45. It was a bitch! And I have the bassani midlenghths. Unless you have a tubular k you will have to remove header to take out the t-45. The bassani headers are nice, good low tone, not too much vibration that is usually associated with long tubes plus the torque gains were noticable. And bassani is top notch in quality. I vote bassani.

Anyone else have this problem?

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Yea the bell housing would not come off with the headers on. Myself and a few of my friends all tried but couldn't get it out without loosening the pass header.:cuss: With a tubular K putting the header back on would have been a breeze.........But it was all worth it because I now have a t-56!:banana:

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
well then i think im just goin to go w/ bbk Lts because if you have to move the bassani mid lengths to do tranny work then i dont really see any reason to get them over long tubes because they are more expensive and make less power.

Rev Happy

Established Member
I've had both, and the Bassanis were the better header in my opinion. I could never get the Hookers to stay 100% leak free. The tubes rubbed on certain parts of the stock K member and they also ran real close to the steering shaft. The passenger side collector hangs pretty low too which sucks on a lowered car.

The Bassanis fit great and have nice ground clearance. I had no problem dropping the T-45 or my current T-56 out with the headers, but I'm also running a MM K-member. My car also put out 300rwhp+ running these headers on the stock motor with just bolt-ons. I never dynoed my car with the Hookers, but I doubt it would have made more. It's funny when I see people worried about making less power with the Bassanis compared to long tubes, when most of these guys aren't even making over 300rwhp... A local shop owner out here also runs these headers on his T-trim 03 Mach 1 that's putting out over 660rwhp+...so take that for what it's worth. Only thing I don't like about the Bassani headers is how much they drone the exhaust. When I was running long tubes, I had no drone.

Last edited:

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
Rev Happy said:
Only thing I don't like about the Bassani headers is how much they drone the exhaust. When I was running long tubes, I had no drone.

Was your set up catted or O/R?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I have hookers and have had no ground celarance problems or leak issues at all. Also, the trans can be removed without having to remove a header. Additionally, the primary tube length ofthe hookers is much better suited for the small cubes of the 4.6 as opposed to the shorter primarys of the Bassanis. One last thing, a b-headed motor will benefit from the increased scavenging capability of the longer primarys as it will get the intake charge flowing a little stronger and a littler earlier. Heads with smaller, high velocity intake ports are not affected as much by primary length , but with B heads it is very important. I haven't seen any big numbers put down by any n/a B headed motor with Bassani's or shortys. If you want the most power and ease of maintenance from your headers, go with long tubes made by either Hooker, Kooks or Stainless Works.

coolguy10786

Established Member
97desertCobra said:
Yea the bell housing would not come off with the headers on. Myself and a few of my friends all tried but couldn't get it out without loosening the pass header.:cuss: With a tubular K putting the header back on would have been a breeze.........But it was all worth it because I now have a t-56!:banana:

Awww you gave up to soon!

Bassani's make trans removal a real BITCH! The problem is the collectors. The brackets that are welded onto the collectors that the mid pipe bolts onto are what rub the bell housing.

I used a big ass pry bar and muscle and it came out. Simply rotating the collector should cure the problem. I will know in a few days when i put the motor and trans back in.

I would not get bbk's. If you are wanting long tubes get hookers, kooks, or stainless works. Flowtech is made by hooker, but have heard about them leaking before. Of course a lot of that is what is done installing them to ensure there are no leaks.

Rev Happy

Established Member
CobraJazz said:
Was your set up catted or O/R?

I'm running a prochamber, but probably going to switch over to one with cats soon if I can find one. I ran the same mid pipe/muffler setup with long tubes, and the exhaust had no drone. Hopefully adding cats will make it tolerable, otherwise I'm switching over to a custom set of long tubes.

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
Why do u guys say dont get bbks??? the only complaint about them i have read is that you have to move one to do tranny work but apparently you have to move the bassanis as well. The hookers have the slip fit connection that leaks.

I just want to know what you guys have against them?

Also i know to use the factory gaskets but what hardware should i use. I believe that there are studs from teh factory but some of the headers come w/ bolts. Which will be easier to deal w/ I am pulling the engine so installing them will be easy but if i have to move one to do tranny work later thats another story.

ogc

Established Member
I bought the hookers and I dont have any complaints with them other than the install. I was very glad I bought them, they sound great I got an awesome power gain with the exhaust system (22rwhp) and I had to replace my clutch about 3 months after I had them installed. so it worked out nicely.

I'd say go with the hookers as well. Use stock hardware when installing them

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
shipwreck17 said:
Why do u guys say dont get bbks??? the only complaint about them i have read is that you have to move one to do tranny work but apparently you have to move the bassanis as well. The hookers have the slip fit connection that leaks.

I just want to know what you guys have against them?

Also i know to use the factory gaskets but what hardware should i use. I believe that there are studs from teh factory but some of the headers come w/ bolts. Which will be easier to deal w/ I am pulling the engine so installing them will be easy but if i have to move one to do tranny work later thats another story.
Hey man. You say you are in Evansville? I'm in Evansville. I have Hooker LT's. If you want you can come have a listen. Once you hear them, I won't want anything else.

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
I definatley want to do that.. Does your hood have a secton painted black? i have seen another car on the west side and the center section of the hood is black.

What finish should i get the chrome/ coated ones are 700+ arent they???

Will the painted black ones be ok or do you think they will wear out after not very long. I dont want them to wear out after a couple years but man those others are expensive...

Users who are viewing this thread