Bassani Mid Length Headers installed!

fakesnake.com

Established Member
First off, you cannot buy these yet nor should you call Bassani. They do not have a time frame yet so don't ask. My best guestimate is 1-2 months as they will need to produce the legs (see comment below).

Just picked my car up from Bassani today. My car was the guinea pig to test fit the 03 mid length headers. Unfortunately, I cannot post pictures as the set that went on my car were not the perfecly finished set you guys will be getting and they asked me not to. Comments-

Plan on having some time to install these. You do not have to remove the K member. Each tube goes in individually and mounts to the collector. I am guessing it will take about 8 hours to install.

They are going to make legs to hook up from header to your Bassani X pipe.

I gave them some 4.6/5.4 Stage 8 header bolts to bolt them in and the bolts did not work. The bolts started stripping the head so the techs stopped immediately and gave them back to me.

I have been running my Bassani Cat back with Baffles in. I pulled them out prior to firing up car. Lets just say if you want a quiet factory type exhaust this isn't for you. Definitely has the muscle car tones to it.

With the mods below minus the headers I had decent power but no spinning the tires at WOT. Now, I am easilly spinning (not chirping) the tires in 1st and 2nd.

I plan on taking car to the dyno within the next week. I wasn't able to dyno it just prior. With Bassani X pipe, Bassani Cat back and K&N filter minus silencer car was at 398 SAE RWHP. I have since added Densecharger and Headers. I am hoping/guessing for 440 SAE RWHP.

My goal is to get to 500 RWHP with this set up plus pulley,chip, and throttle body.

If I can find a camcorder to borrow I will post the exhaust sound files.

fakesnake.com

Established Member
I knew you guys would be chomping at the bit.

My car was the guinea pig for the Cat back and X pipe too a few months ago. Those parts are fairly straight forward and easy to duplicate based on the 99-up set ups already in production.

The problem here is they haven't made these type of headers for mustangs so it is a lot of R&D. They got it to work on my car but it took 3 days of fitting/re-working.

I think the biggest challenge was the 1 foot of space between the X pipe and the header. Since I wanted cats in (as I'm sure a lot of you guys do), they had to custom make those pieces with some bends to them to fit. I think now they have to go back and figure out what all this is going to cost them and figure out a price. That is just my opinion.

f4sfed

Established Member
How did you get your car volunteered? Do you work there, or have a friend there?

Can you let them know that some of us are anxiously awating their announcement, puh-LEAZ???!! :)

fakesnake.com

Established Member
No, I don't work there. It helps when you live in the area- Southern California. Plus, I have gotten to know some manufacturers over the years from attending mustang car shows. My last car was a show car. I vowed no more chrome for my future cars.

THey do know you guys are waiting. They have a fairly large waiting list already from dealers for these without a price or time fram even.

Last edited:

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by f4sfed
Not anymore. I have a round the clock staff now calling FOR me. ...I DO have a job ya know. ;)

:lol: :lol:

I'll be in STL (Florissant) at Christmas. Maybe bring the 03Cobra and show you STL guys what HP is all about.
:thumbsup:

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
Originally posted by fakesnake.com
...They are going to make legs to hook up from header to your Bassani X pipe...

Does this mean they will ONLY work with a Bassani X? I wouldn't think so; but I must ask as I am, as you say, "chomping at the bit".

Happy Thanksgiving. :beer:

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by T3 Cobra
:lol: :lol:

I'll be in STL (Florissant) at Christmas. Maybe bring the 03Cobra and show you STL guys what HP is all about.
:thumbsup:

Hell yea! Bring it! LOVE to see another '03 around these parts!

We've got about the same mods, how do YOU get traction?

fakesnake.com

Established Member
Does this mean they will ONLY work with a Bassani X? I wouldn't think so; but I must ask as I am, as you say, "chomping at the bit".

Good question. I haven't matched up side by side other competitor's H or X pipes. The difference on the Bassani is it has legs in the front that come off. My guess is if you had another brand you would have to cut off the legs in front of your cats and weld or add on the Bassani Legs that came with the headers.

What happened to the '03 specific X that would only work with the new mid-length headers?

It bolts right up if you use the offroad version of Bassani's X pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread