bassani exhaust question

supercharged91m

Local 46
Established Member
Hey i just bought a bassani stainless steel exhaust and was curious to hear that if a magnet sticks to it it supposedly isnt good stainless steel. Should i be worried about this or is it a urban legend?? I know that i was sent the right ones from late model restoration and advice is apprectiated:p

supercharged91m

Local 46
Established Member
Yea went all in and purchased the stainless system from the mid pipe to the catbak. The magnaflow one thats been on it looks to be rusting and i can only imagine how old it is

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
There is always a possibility that you did get a BX kit even though you paid for the stainless. The workers at Bassani could have put it in the wrong box by mistake. Look on the exhaust for some numbers and give Bassani a call. I have the BX and have no complaints but if you paid for the stainless you should have got the stainless.

mizlplix

Established Member
There are many grades of stainless steel. They just took regular steel and slowly started removing carbon while adding chromium. The low end of stainless does rust as well as a magnet sticking to it. The upper end does not rust at all and no magnet will stick. I have seen stainless steel that has been lying in the desert for 60+ years from a bomber crash. It was as shiny as the day it was made.

Some manufacturers will splash in a bit of chromium and advertise it as being "made of stainless steel". Even ford is guilty of this.

miz

supercharged91m

Local 46
Established Member
Thanks yea i know that certain type of kitchen stainless are top shelf and some others with higher carbon turn colors.Ill look into the box when i can to c if i might have gotten the wrong stuff hope not i just gave late model restoration a nice check

Users who are viewing this thread