Basic Mod Do's and Dont's for 96-98's

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
I've got a bone stock, 75k, Laser Red 96 Cobra, and I'm wanting to do some basic mods. I'm looking for some advice on a CAI. I would like to get the best one for the money, that would still let me use my strut tower brace. Any suggestions?? I know the BBK would allow me to do this, but I've read that the power gains are slight. Also, I know 96's were known for cooling system troubles. I don't think the radiator/fan has ever been upgraded, and it still has the grill in place. Should I wait to install underdrive pulleys until I replace the radiator, fan, etc? Besides that, I was planning on a cat back sys, FMS B springs, and some 03 cobra wheels for now.

Any other suggestions for basic, inexpensive mods? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
+1 on dropping in a k&n filter, don't forget to remove the silencer from the air intake assembly. The BBK will look "good" but won't do much for you as far as power gains. Get yourself an off road X or H pipe too, it will wake up the car.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I agree. Get a K&N drop in filter. Then exhaust. Then gears. Then a power adder.

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
Thanks everyone for the info on CAI's. So, should I wait on the underdrive pulleys? As far as gears, 3.73 or 4.10's?

cummins96cobra

Established Member
Thanks everyone for the info on CAI's. So, should I wait on the underdrive pulleys? As far as gears, 3.73 or 4.10's?

Asking people what gears to get isnt a good idea lol everyone has there own opinion but my 96 is stock with no cats, mufflers and it has a 373 gear and im going to get 430s soon because the 373 isnt enough for these cars NA IMO, if you plan on getting boosted soon then i would go with 373s

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
You will get different responses on what gears to go with but I would say 4.10s. As for pulleys, go with a march fluid damner. You can do either one but the gears will make a much bigger difference in seat of the pants feel.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Do:
4.10s or 4.30s
drop in filter
long tubes
march fluid damper, small diameter alt and wp pulleys
short runner intake
97 and up a/c condensor
180 deg thermostat

Don't do:
CAI/RAI
Throttle Body
3.73s

The radiator is fine, the condensor is the major problem as it restricts airflow.

Troyz R Us

Outlaw Division
Established Member
What gears depends on what your plans are for the car in my opinion. As stated above, if you plan on a power adder in the near future then I wouldn't waste my time or money with something like 4.30's.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Do:
4.10s or 4.30s
drop in filter
long tubes
march fluid damper, small diameter alt and wp pulleys
short runner intake
97 and up a/c condensor
180 deg thermostat

Don't do:
CAI/RAI
Throttle Body
3.73s

The radiator is fine, the condensor is the major problem as it restricts airflow.

I mostly agree with NA SVT on the things he said. I'd get mufflers or a catback to make it sound good though, and don't forget an O/R midpipe.

Also, getting subframe connectors and a shifter would greatly improve the car as well.

svtrickey

Established Member
What gears depends on what your plans are for the car in my opinion. As stated above, if you plan on a power adder in the near future then I wouldn't waste my time or money with something like 4.30's.

Why not 4.30's and power adder? Just buy some really sticky tires

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Why not 4.30's and power adder? Just buy some really sticky tires

I have 4.30s and a 100 shot, and wouldn't have it any other way, myself. If you plan on trapping over 120 in the 1/4 then go with 4.10s, but for most people 4.30s will be fine.

luke87gt

Established Member
Do:
damper, small diameter alt and wp pulleys

The smaller diameter crank will slow down all the accessories. A smaller diameter accessory pulley will speed it back up. For underdriving, you want a smaller crank, and a bigger accessories.

Unless you are having charging/cooling issues...

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
It'll stay na. I'll probably get gears, a CAI or at least a drop in filter, and a catback for now. I got a good deal on some FMS B springs, so I'll do that soon too. I already installed a hurst billet plus shifter. I want long tubes, but it probably won't be for a while. I will try and find a used H-pipe for now too until I can get the headers and a new midpipe. From what you guys said, i'll either get 4.10's or 4.30's. What speedo gear(s) should I use? What should I get for a handheld tuner?

luke87gt

Established Member
It'll stay na. I'll probably get gears, a CAI or at least a drop in filter, and a catback for now. I got a good deal on some FMS B springs, so I'll do that soon too. I already installed a hurst billet plus shifter. I want long tubes, but it probably won't be for a while. I will try and find a used H-pipe for now too until I can get the headers and a new midpipe. From what you guys said, i'll either get 4.10's or 4.30's. What speedo gear(s) should I use? What should I get for a handheld tuner?

I am using a Speed Cal to correct the speedo. It works great!

And I am thrilled with my 4.30s and would not want any less.

NXGHOST

Established Member
Do's

4.30 Gears
Exhaust
Shifter
Rear Control Arms
B Springs

The above makes a 12 Second Capable street car with sticky tires.

I ran 4.30's N/A and with a small shot for many years. Went with a Paxton Novi and thought I should do 4.10's. Went to the strip and didnt like the 4.10's. Car went 12.40, Went back the next week with 4.30's back in there, 11.89@120MPH first pass on 26" Slicks. If I ever needed to go quicker I would simply go to a 27" tall tire. 4.30's are sick on the street!

mrxr250rider

Established Member
Do's

4.30 Gears
Exhaust
Shifter
Rear Control Arms
B Springs

The above makes a 12 Second Capable street car with sticky tires.

I ran 4.30's N/A and with a small shot for many years. Went with a Paxton Novi and thought I should do 4.10's. Went to the strip and didnt like the 4.10's. Car went 12.40, Went back the next week with 4.30's back in there, 11.89@120MPH first pass on 26" Slicks. If I ever needed to go quicker I would simply go to a 27" tall tire. 4.30's are sick on the street!

you really make me want 4:30s. such a hard decision

mrxr250rider

Established Member
wondering the same thing, do alot of highway driving,drive it almost everyday in the summer may supercharge eventually. not sure if 4:30s are for me.

iam planning on buying a wrx or evo in the near future though so i could always use that as a daily or on the highway

Users who are viewing this thread