Barton bracket installed

GT915

Established Member
I just got a Barton 2 post bracket and knob for Christmas. I installed it yesterday and am more than pleased with the way it feels. I am one of the seemingly few people that likes the mt82 and has had no problems at all. This bracket makes me like it even more. The rubbery feel of the stock unit is gone and there is no additional nvh at all. I didn't pay for it, but if I had, I'd say it was money well spent.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
When you get a whiteline bushing, it makes the shifter that much better. I have the 2 post bracket and bushing and shifting has become almost like butter. Not warm melting butter, but more of the still in the fridge cold butter.

I'll eventually get an MGW down the road just to shorten the shifts, but this works great for now.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
When you get a whiteline bushing, it makes the shifter that much better. I have the 2 post bracket and bushing and shifting has become almost like butter. Not warm melting butter, but more of the still in the fridge cold butter.

I'll eventually get an MGW down the road just to shorten the shifts, but this works great for now.

How much of a difference did the bushing make? I'm gonna grab one I think.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
How much of a difference did the bushing make? I'm gonna grab one I think.
Pretty big difference even just under normal everyday shifting. I've only taken then car up to about 5k 2nd through 4th gear, but it definitely firmed up the torsion deflection. Haven't had the chance to do any redline shifts yet.

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
Pretty big difference even just under normal everyday shifting. I've only taken then car up to about 5k 2nd through 4th gear, but it definitely firmed up the torsion deflection. Haven't had the chance to do any redline shifts yet.
Awesome. Thanks.

GT915

Established Member

Yeah, I'd have preferred to have an mgw as well but it was a gift. I had an mgw on a t45 in my old 99 and absolutely loved it. Super short throw and the feeling that it was as solid as a block of steel. My new bracket with the stock stifter is not as solid feeling but it is way smoother and very direct. I will likely install a whiteline bushing for good measure and enjoy it like it is while I save for other mods.

Justin81

Established Member
No extra NVH huh? Mine feels like i'm driving a cement mixer. I can't wait to take it off and go a different route.

Rdrcr

Established Member
^^^^
I too experienced some increased NVH but, it isn't bad. I find the additional NVH entirely acceptable.

Did you try drilling or removing the lower tab?

Mike

RangerDLA

Established Member
I have the whiteline bushing and the NVH went through the roof. I took it out and totally cut off the center piece, reinstalled it, and it took away the NVH 100% and kept my redline shifts where they were before I cut the piece out. Do this and you'll love it. Make sure to cut the center piece off but only enough so that the two side pieces are still stuck together. Sorry, but I don't have a picture of it. My transmission is totally stock and so is the shifter and this alone cured my missed 4th-5th shifts/lockouts. I've had the "modified" whiteline bushing in for about four months now and have not missed a redline shift yet.

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Before you install the Whiteline bushing, you need to trim off the center section so that it will be the same lengths as the "wings".

This will keep the center from making contact with the trans cross member casting which causes the NVH

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
Before you install the Whiteline bushing, you need to trim off the center section so that it will be the same lengths as the "wings".

This will keep the center from making contact with the trans cross member casting which causes the NVH

Good to know. Thanks. Ordered mine just now. :beer:

In the thread below, you posted at the end that a local guy to you found out that the center section of the bushing was actually making contact with the crossmember after passing through the mount. He cut about 3/8" off the end which took care of the NVH...Is that what you are referring to when you say "trim", or do you mean to remove the entire center section? Did this work for you?

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ushing-insert-tested-reviews-tips-tricks.html

Thanks

Last edited:

IGO 202

Established Member
After installing my Barton shifter & 2-pc post I later installed Dynamat which really helped the NVH.
But....when resting my hand on the shifter or while holding it to shift the vibration is present.

I'm kinda confused about this trimming you guys are talking about, could someone please shed a little more light on the subject, especially if pictures are available?

Thanks,
Dan

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
After installing my Barton shifter & 2-pc post I later installed Dynamat which really helped the NVH.
But....when resting my hand on the shifter or while holding it to shift the vibration is present.

I'm kinda confused about this trimming you guys are talking about, could someone please shed a little more light on the subject, especially if pictures are available?

Thanks,
Dan

Here you go:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ushing-insert-tested-reviews-tips-tricks.html

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Good to know. Thanks. Ordered mine just now. :beer:

In the thread below, you posted at the end that a local guy to you found out that the center section of the bushing was actually making contact with the crossmember after passing through the mount. He cut about 3/8" off the end which took care of the NVH...Is that what you are referring to when you say "trim", or do you mean to remove the entire center section? Did this work for you?

Thanks
Yup, that's exactly what I'm referring to. Don't cut off the entire center portion, just trim it.

Thanks,
Dan
I have a slight vibration when I hold the shifter while the car is running, in neutral, and the clutch isn't pressed in. Once I put it in gear, it's gone.

thegraystang

Established Member
Very nice info. Might as well tell whiteline to skip that center part and maybe save a couple bucks lol. Im gonna order mine since i have parts stacking up that need installing anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread