Bank 1 O2 sensor failing

CshiznitzJ

Established Member
Background: Installed JBA longtubes and started running e85 back in July timeframe (15000 miles). No extensions have ever been used. In November car through p0135 and it ended up being a failing O2 sensor.

Thursday, while driving car through p2195 and p2626. Datalogged the car after i got home at idle and bank 1sensor is maxing out (2 lambda). Checked o2 wire connections and for damage, non detected. The o2 sensors were swapped banks, datalogged idle to verify it is the sensor.

Car now has 18,000 miles, so two o2 sensors on bank 1 (pass side) fail in 3000 miles after these changes. Any ideas of root cause?

CshiznitzJ

Established Member
Yes the placement of the o2 sensor is not ideal on longtubes, however many cars have them...

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Yes the placement of the o2 sensor is not ideal on longtubes, however many cars have them...

maybe because there not in right place the tune needs to be adjusted which also may cause it to run rich fouling the O2s

preciousroy

Established Member
I am a tech at a ford dealership and for what its worth we have seen a fair amount of the new style o2 sensors going bad, not so much on mustangs but there pretty much all the same. Could also be a combination of the long tube o2 placent and e85, but i would take it as coincidence unless a third goes bad

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I am a tech at a ford dealership and for what its worth we have seen a fair amount of the new style o2 sensors going bad, not so much on mustangs but there pretty much all the same. Could also be a combination of the long tube o2 placent and e85, but i would take it as coincidence unless a third goes bad

wat is cause these new style O2 to fail? as for 100% stock cars they have to good for 8yr/80k which ever comes 1st by federal law, otherwise they have to be replaced for free

preciousroy

Established Member
Not really sure what exactly causes it, but we have done lots of them in mks's, edges, and f150/e150's. Probably just an early production gremlin they gotta work out, its common when a new technology type thing is entered into production. It will derinately be covered under the 5/60k powertrain warranty, have to check on if its covered by the 8/80 warranty, cant remember off the top of my head but i dont see why not.

CshiznitzJ

Established Member
Not really sure what exactly causes it, but we have done lots of them in mks's, edges, and f150/e150's. Probably just an early production gremlin they gotta work out, its common when a new technology type thing is entered into production. It will derinately be covered under the 5/60k powertrain warranty, have to check on if its covered by the 8/80 warranty, cant remember off the top of my head but i dont see why not.

Doubt mine would be covered due to the mods so I replaced it myself. Are there any more robust sensor than the OEM Motorcraft?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Doubt mine would be covered due to the mods so I replaced it myself. Are there any more robust sensor than the OEM Motorcraft?

Im pretty sure they would not be covered because of the mods but id still talk to your tuner so you dont buy new ones a run into the same issue

CshiznitzJ

Established Member
Im pretty sure they would not be covered because of the mods but id still talk to your tuner so you dont buy new ones a run into the same issue

I have emailed Shaun about the bank 1 O2 sensor failing. I posted to get other opnions of root cause (exhaust leaks.. etc but i ha e checked common problems). If another O2 fails quickly, its definately not a coincidence...

Fun4me

Established Member
Is there any vendor that warranties 02 sensors. i thought Autozone has a 90 day warranty?

Fun4me

Established Member
Quick google search turns up that they(motorcraft) carry a 1 yr warranty form a lot of retailers.

preciousroy

Established Member
Most ford/motorcraft parts carry a 12month12,000mile warranty as long as it cannot be proven the customer had any effect on the part failing.

Fun4me

Established Member
So if you buy it yourself and change it, who cares how it went bad when you return the part for warranty? I'm sure they're not cheap and it seems like they like to fail. So if the dealer wont warranty it, just buy the part and do it yourself. Or am I missing something?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I have emailed Shaun about the bank 1 O2 sensor failing. I posted to get other opnions of root cause (exhaust leaks.. etc but i ha e checked common problems). If another O2 fails quickly, its definately not a coincidence...

Off hand have you pulled both 02s out to see what they look like. Wipe them off with a clean rag. Clear the code an see what happens also do a before an after data log to see of there os a difference

Users who are viewing this thread