Bang for the buck wagon

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Volvo XC70 AWD?
Audi Allroad Wagon AWD?

My Dad had an Allroad 2.7T Quattro, and it was loaded to the tits, and really moved out with the bi-turbo.

earl lee

Established Member
What is everyone's thoughts on salvaged/repaired titles?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/5632740705.html

Just stay away. First its a used WRX meaning it has had the shit beat out of it, second its salvage. Not worth the headache or drama. Them things are about as reliable as a 5 year old BMW. Stay away from the BMW's as well unless you want a complete understanding of its real name Broke Man Wheels.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
If you want a newer wagon that you are able to get dirt cheap look at the Jetta wagon TDI. They are available in manual or automatic, decently sporty with a 16 second quarter stock, 35-40mpg+, did I mention dirt cheap? newer models for 12k because of the dieselgate scam and a tune can really wake them up.

View attachment 69048
Awesome! I knew they were great on has but I didn't know they come in manual AND wagons. Looking into this asap.

Nothing wrong with them in my opinion, as long as it was properly fixed and there is documentation of the damage before being fixed (so you can truly see how bad it was).

With it being a newer car and still booking mid 20s when the damage happened, it likely had $15-20k worth of damage (depending on states threshold where the total loss occurred).

If it was a simple theft recovery, I'd jump on it all day!
In order for it to be salvaged/rebuilt, the total cost of repairs is supposed to be near the cars value, yes? After speaking to all these people trying to sell their salvaged car, everyone seems to be blaming the previous owner and saying they don't have the information since the previous owner is the one that did the repairs. It's kinda sketchy, so I'm staying away from rebuilt titles.

As of now, I'm looking at a 50k mile 2007 3 series wagon with an inline 6. And as stated above, TDI seems to be another logical route to go

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
That's exactly it....it's always I heard from a friend of a cousin's sisters boyfriend that he had problems with his bmw....I have owned my M3 for about 8yrs now ,bought it with 30k on the clock and it now has 70k or so on it and that is all hard driving with 80% of it being on a track. NO PROBLEMS what so ever. Now my wife's 2015 Denali that was just bought in December has been in the shop 3 times already for warranty work. Bought a 07 Tahoe brand new and it was in the shop all the time.

For me personally my German cars are WAY more reliable than my American cars....and this is from personal experience, not the BS pass it along advice most ppl who have never owned bmw give.

You identified the issue with with using single examples then offered your own. This random asshole on the internet says he set his M3 on fire, drove it 2,000 miles without oil, then dropped it off a cliff and it still runs great! See how that works?

Try JD power, they say stay the hell away. http://www.jdpower.com/cars/bmw/5-series/2008

I was also looking at 3.6 cts wagons but they are rarer then hens teeth. Lincoln has the MKT. Chunky but with the 3.5 it would surprise some people. 23482.jpg

kaz109

Established Member
You identified the issue with with using single examples then offered your own. This random asshole on the internet says he set his M3 on fire, drove it 2,000 miles without oil, then dropped it off a cliff and it still runs great! See how that works?

Try JD power, they say stay the hell away. http://www.jdpower.com/cars/bmw/5-series/2008

I was also looking at 3.6 cts wagons but they are rarer then hens teeth. Lincoln has the MKT. Chunky but with the 3.5 it would surprise some people. View attachment 69072

No I offer my own personal example and not a he said she said example like most in this thread. Try reading my post again

Gary Macomber

Established Member
Awesome! I knew they were great on has but I didn't know they come in manual AND wagons. Looking into this asap.

I love my Passat TDI except for the maintenance and if I hadn't bought it new I would do it all myself, my wife is against it. I also have the automatic since my wife has to drive it and is afraid to learn. I wish the Passat had come in wagon for the new models but unfortunately they didn't. Before I bought mine I looked at older ones but their resale value held really well, unfortunately that won't be the case with the new ones being surrounded in scam. Right now tree huggers that bought them to get great mileage in a clean car are trying to dump theirs so it is prime time to grab one if you can.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
He asked for a wagon....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, but he also said sedan: :read:

sedan3_zpsukfrh7pv.gif

Currently looking for a used wagon (preferred) or sedan that will serve as a daily driver and occasional family trip car if my girlfriend doesn't want to use her Ford Escape.

Right now, I've got my eyes set on three cars but I am open to anything else that fits the category/budget. My only requirements really are only for it to be rear wheel or all wheel drive, decent performance, creature comfort options and all while being under 18k. Which is why BMW seems to be the route to go. These are the three I've had my eyes on locally.

1. 2008 535i sedan manual trans, 100k miles, 14k, fully loaded
2. 2010 535ix wagon automatic, 96k miles, 16k, full loaded
3. 2007 328i wagon automatic, 56k miles, 12k

In short,

- is it worth buying a 6-8 year old BMW with 80-90k miles (with aftermarket warranty of course)

- what are good family cars with decent performance under 18k

I'm new to BMW's and any newer cars really so any input is appreciated.

Last edited:

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Last gen Caprice wagon with a crate motor 502. I know it wouldn't be the perfect daily but I remember seeing a hot rod or motor trend article back in the day where they did this. Imagine rolling over mustangs and vettes in a Caprice wagon that looks stock on thr outside.

Best post in here. It wouldn't get good gas mileage but it would be more reliable than just about anything posted here if it has a modern roller camshaft and good valve springs. Plus the aftermarket suspension available for it would be leaps and bounds better than any of the junk posted here.

Of course that would cost a lot of money.

Blackoyote

Established Member
I just saw this thread again and another vehicle crossed my mind...considering it's seeming like you want something kind of quick and capable of roadtrips with capacity, have you considered a Trailblazer SS? I know it's not a car, but it is sporty/quick/fun and technically a wagon :)

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
I just saw this thread again and another vehicle crossed my mind...considering it's seeming like you want something kind of quick and capable of roadtrips with capacity, have you considered a Trailblazer SS? I know it's not a car, but it is sporty/quick/fun and technically a wagon :)

Yeah, I actually started to look at those this morning. As I am slowly realizing that finding a manual/rwd/loaded/powerful wagon is a lot rarer than I thought, I am slowly looking into the realms of sedans and SUV's more. The TDI seemed like the perfect option as mentioned above but I absolutely hate fwd and that torque steer

Last edited:

04SloSnake

Its just an Eaton
Established Member
Yeah, I actually started to look at those this morning. As I am slowly realizing that finding a manual/rwd/loaded/powerful wagon is a lot rarer than I thought, I am slowly looking into the realms of sedans and SUV's more. The TDI seemed like the perfect option as mentioned above but I absolutely hate fwd and that torque steer

I had a Jetta TDI with DSG and I never felt any torque steer, even with the amount of torque it has. It was probably one of the best cars I have owned when balancing something practical and fun to drive. I routinely got 50-52mpg on my 40 mile morning commute and enjoyed the drive.

Gary Macomber

Established Member
I had a Jetta TDI with DSG and I never felt any torque steer, even with the amount of torque it has. It was probably one of the best cars I have owned when balancing something practical and fun to drive. I routinely got 50-52mpg on my 40 mile morning commute and enjoyed the drive.

I do have 1 complaint about the TDI besides maintenance, the AC sucks in them. I can never keep my car cold, on the HWY it will blow cold but as soon as you have to slow down it goes back to cool and the car warms up quick.

MG0h3

Established Member
Haven't found any 3.6 wagons but j did run across a 2010 3.0 with 60k miles at only 15k. Seems like a good deal but I'd have to research more on CTS cars

Do you know what year and model she has? Many people have told me to steer away from BMW and that they have nothing but problems, but the same people can never get into detail about what the problems were and what caused them.

Her 08 with 60k was like a 20yr old car. Three window regulators, misc functions inside like ac/heat controls didn't work correctly.

She has 13 now and had a couple problems that I can't recall what were but some part of her PCV system just cracked and was leaking oil on the exhaust. Had in intermittent AC/blower fan problem. Might be vents. BMW hasn't figured it out.

Users who are viewing this thread