Bama Performance Issues

KonaCoyote12

Established Member
I have read nothing but good posts about BAMA's customer service so I am shocked at the lack of service I have received. I am not posting to bash BAMA, I have had some great tunes from them and they are always friendly when I call, but this case is just too ridiculous.

I swapped my motor out for an FRPP Coyote Aluminator NA and added long tubes while the engine was out. With such a drastic change I ordered a whole new set of tunes (free tunes for life member.) I ordered the 87 street, 91 performance and 93 race combo. When I ordered, I filled out the forms as usual and completed the additional comments section with every detail of my car. I received the tunes within a week and loaded up the 87 tune. It idled fine, ran fine with only minor "dead spots" in the power band but every time I came to a stop the car shut down. I switched to the 91 which ran horrible and shut down every time I wasn't giving it gas. I did not mind this because 90% of the 91 tunes I've had haven't been all that great. My last option was the 93. It ran the best, but is not for daily commuting with how aggressive it is. At low speeds it can experience a power burst more than called for by the pedal and people call the cops when you are randomly chirping tires in neighborhoods.

This is a mail order tune so please don't think I am complaining about imperfections. I understand its mail order and not a dyno tune. I called BAMA and they advised me to data log the car and send it in to them for revisions. They were extremely friendly and I had almost no on hold time. I loaded up the 87 tune and logged the parameters they requested and did all the pulls as instructed. They told me they get busy in the summer so a 2 to 3 week turn around is common.

After 4 weeks with no tune revision I called again and asked what was up. They told me the file went to their spam filter because the file was too large. I was told to put it in a zipped folder so it would be compressed. I did this and sent the data log to them in the new folder. After 3 weeks of no tune revision I called again. I was told that they did not see anything in my record or in their emails. I emailed in the existing chain again to confirm my email went through and they replied that they had no log.

They were still very friendly but they replied to my email stating they didn't get my email. I was a little confused by that. After I got the reply I called in again asking them to stay on the phone with me while I sent the data log again. I sent it and they did not get it. The rep asked me to send it to his personal BAMA email instead of the generic [email protected] email. I did this and he confirmed he received it. He told me that the turnaround is usually 3 to 5 days (turnaround time was no longer 2 to 3 weeks because I had been waiting 7 weeks now and peak season had passed.

After two weeks and many many more miles fighting my 93 tune (the most functional one) to and from work I received no tune revision. At this point I had been trying for 9 weeks. I called back and spoke to the same rep who had originally told me 3 to 5 days and had confirmed my logs. He was polite and apologized, there was a delay because "they were getting ready for the big American Muscle Mustang Show." I wish he had told me that instead of 3 to 5 days. I explained my whole story to him and he again confirmed he had my data log but said I should send another and he would get it right back to me.

It is now 2 weeks later and I have no tune revision. That is a grand total of 11 weeks of calling, emailing, logging and more calling with no tune revision. I have spent my entire summer with a completely undriveable tune, a moderately undriveable tune and a slightly off tune that is for race only. I hope no damage has come to my engine from any of them, my knock readings did concern me.

MY POINT IS THIS: Being friendly is not cutting it if your just going to blow off your customers when you hang up. With all of my calls I did not even receive extra consideration for being screwed so many times. I was polite and calm on every call and maybe that was why I was so easily blown off. BAMA tunes have always been great and I was hoping to receive a simple adjustment to make my car driveable. I am now looking at either dyno tuning or switching to Lund or AED. At this point I just want to have a car that I can drive with out it being more finnicky than a 60's jaguar, and I don't want another 11 week wait.

American Muscle has amazing customer service with fast customer response, please do not confuse the two. They are separate entities. And I have been a BAMA user for two years before having a single issue. Unfortunately that single issue has wasted my entire summer of driving.

PC03GT

Established Member
That's a lot of money you spent on that motor to skimp out on a tune like that. If you bought an aluminator I would pay the extra money for a dyno tune.

Nuar

Established Member
Why the FU*K did you choose BAMA for such an expensive and involved combo?!
You are lucky the motor is still alive.
Waiting WEEKS for revisions before you call? NOT acceptable...
Awesome motor and all the mods need a GREAT tuner, not a ... meh... kind of a tuner... Go to a professional before you need to buy another motor man. Seriously...

KonaCoyote12

Established Member
I agree the dyno tune is the way to go when mods get crazy. But I figured since the aluminator is a forged coyote is not as dramatic of a change as going FI (which usually requires a dyno.) Several 700+ HP Whipple guys love their VMP mail order tunes but that seems to be the exception. I went BAMA since I already had been using their tunes and have heard so many stories of guys emailing loga back and forth with AED or Lund (occasionally BAMA) to get a dialed in tune, my dumb @$$ thought I could go that route. Misplaced confidence I suppose. I live near Evolution Performance but have heard more satisfaction at DGR in Dillsburg. Im not down for a second blown motor so hitting the dyno with one of those guys is my next move.

bmyles

Established Member
Yeah that's not going to cut it. I would have never waited any where near as long. Hope you get it sorted out. Someone should let the am rep know about this thread they should get it fixed like right now.

KonaCoyote12

Established Member
AM has always been great to me so I'm still a huge advocate for them. I think you guys are right, time to graduate to a big boy tune, and as far as I know Bama only dyno tunes their own cars. AM will unlikely be able to help there.

twistedneck

Established Member
They fumbled the email that bad I would not allow them to work on my vehicle. its 2014, and you can't figure out how to accept an emailed tune? thats your business man, and you can't even do that? zip files always get caught in spam filters. they should have a dedicated ftp service, since again EMAIL TUNES IS WHAT THEY DO!!! good god. THere is no excuse, demand a refund and utilize one of the tuners on this site or Shaun AED. Or even better, go to a local proven tuner. Good luck...

KonaCoyote12

Established Member
I was hoping to install a novi a before getting a dyno tune as they are $400-550. Really can't argue with the masses here, I guess that's what credit cards are for haha. In live within a few hours of several great tuners, no more emails for me.

scott_0

Established Member
nothing against Bama, theyve always treated me well, but with your location, you have Evolution right up the street, and a drive down 95 south to Revolution Auto and youll have a great tune. or Shaun from AED if you want a mail order tune

KonaCoyote12

Established Member
I have been running 93 since the 87 doesn't work. I wanted to run the 87 to and from work everyday during the summer. Its more docile and easy to manage. 93 was weekends and track. But now that I'm going dyno its 93 all the time.

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
The last time I mentioned BAMA not posting in a forum, they popped up with a big bad ass paragraph about working hand in hand with Ford Racing and what not. Let's see if it works again!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread