ball park price to switch to auto

GHIG RTR

Banned
I've been toying with the idea once I save up enough to go with an auto. How much am I looking at for total price to convert to an auto so I can get the most out of my turbos? BTW, I would sell the T56 which only has 15K miles on it. How much you think I could get for that? Ya'lls input would be greatly appreciated!

blowngt

Established Member
I've been toying with the idea once I save up enough to go with an auto. How much am I looking at for total price to convert to an auto so I can get the most out of my turbos? BTW, I would sell the T56 which only has 15K miles on it. How much you think I could get for that? Ya'lls input would be greatly appreciated!

Roughly:

Lentech - $3500
Converter - $1000
Misc Crap (Flexplate, bolts, dipstick, shifter, etc) - $1000

Not sure on the T56, but I've seen them go for $1500 or so.....

61mmstang94

Established Member
Depends on what transmission you are planning on switching over to.

The Lentech would probably be the best if you plan on keeping it really drivable on the highway for longer trips considering it has overdrive.

If you are looking to go with a 'glide or something like a th400, etc. then your swap price will be much cheaper than going with a Lentech and perform just as well. Only difference is that you obviously won't have the overdrive with a 'glide or th400. The 'glide might also be geared the best for the 1/4 mile with the turbo, but I wouldn't consider it unless you plan on a track only car.

The two best choices would honestly be between a Lentech or the th400, in my opinion.

With the Lentech, the above post is a fairly accurate guess on price, but could possibly be done for a little less, but it really depends. With the 'glide or th400 I would say you could really cut cost with one of those compared to the Lentech.

So I guess it comes down to how you will use the car (meaning if you want OD) and that makes a huge difference in price between the transmissions.

If you feel having an AOD (the Lentech) is a much then you have yourself a pretty good guess in the above post, if you want to consider the th400 (which isn't too too bad on the highway, but wouldn't recomend for real long highway trips) then you could cut a lot of money out of the equation.

61mmstang94

Established Member
So, realitically you will probably end up spending something around $4k-5k after selling your T56 but you would end up with the baddest AOD you can get for the car and it would be perfect for your turbo setup.

If it was my car, I'd go for it as it would complete the setup and really make it move nicely not to mention with the Lentech you'll get a nice convertor with a manual valvebody and a t-brake for some really sick launches.

Blown02

Established Member
if u have someone else do it, a fully built turbo 400 with labor and everything included is gonna be over 6k.

61mmstang94

Established Member
if u have someone else do it, a fully built turbo 400 with labor and everything included is gonna be over 6k.

Might be $6k BEFORE the guy sells his T-56.

If you look at it that way the Lentech cost BEFORE selling the T-56 would be a ton higher. Bottom line is the Lentech AOD costs a lot more than a TH400 to handle the same power.

blowngt

Established Member
I forgot to mention 1 item:

Permanent smile on your face -------FREE

The single best mod I've ever done on the car. Anyone who knocks auto's either hasn't driven in 1, or is in denial because they can't afford it.
(No one needs to get all buthurt about that last comment, I'm just exaggerating a bit but you get the idea)

Blown02

Established Member
Ive never been in a real auto car, and my car is a 5spd, but I have no doubt in my mind Ill eventually get a turbo400

Last edited:

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
My setup costs around 8,000. I didn't cut any corner either.

Lentech street/strip Plus, every upgrade they offer, converter was 1200, circle d converter upgrade was about 300. I have a powertrain control solutions controller for the transmission with their wiring harness option so i didn't have to chop up a harness and I retain all my IAT sensors. It's about 800 for everything with the controller. I have a factory Auto shifter in the car. I did however break all the PRND21 plate off of it and put the factory 6 speed shift boot on it. Keeps the appearance of an auto to a minimum. I also have a Custom driveshaft from DSS. I have the largest B&M cooler with a fan on it also. I love it, and i think it's honestly more fun than the 6 speed. Luckily I bought the setup from a local guy and only paid 5k for everything, but the receipts tally 8,200.

The only thing i wish I would have done different is opt for the downgraded transmission. It shifts firm in every gear and there's nothing you can do about it.

61mmstang94

Established Member
My setup costs around 8,000. I didn't cut any corner either.

Lentech street/strip Plus, every upgrade they offer, converter was 1200, circle d converter upgrade was about 300. I have a powertrain control solutions controller for the transmission with their wiring harness option so i didn't have to chop up a harness and I retain all my IAT sensors. It's about 800 for everything with the controller. I have a factory Auto shifter in the car. I did however break all the PRND21 plate off of it and put the factory 6 speed shift boot on it. Keeps the appearance of an auto to a minimum. I also have a Custom driveshaft from DSS. I have the largest B&M cooler with a fan on it also. I love it, and i think it's honestly more fun than the 6 speed. Luckily I bought the setup from a local guy and only paid 5k for everything, but the receipts tally 8,200.

The only thing i wish I would have done different is opt for the downgraded transmission. It shifts firm in every gear and there's nothing you can do about it.

At $8k you paid a lot but I guess it adds up if you just feel like dropping your car off at a shop and picking it up done.

Last edited:

Janstang

Established Member
Mine was around $3000 for everything with me doing all the install stuff.. Keep in mind this isn't a long distance cruiser, but for anything in between I love it.

shhak

Established Member
I just sold my complete Lentech 4R70W setup. PI converter, trans brake, wiring harness, coolers, basically everything you needed. Total receipts for parts was over $5500 but I got a little better deal. I sold it for about $3300. FWIW, an auto in a turbo cobra is the only way to go. I'm going with a much bigger motor/turbo combo so I'm swapping to the TH400 instead.

Graves

Established Member
Hey JR, keep me in mind when the time comes to part ways with that T56. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread