balancer leak

fr03cobra

Established Member
811-963.jpg

any inputs on why my balancer is leaking oil? next step will be taking it off to put a better seal around the threads. Thanks

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Not sure what crank you are running but Im guessing the oil can come out around the threads from what you are saying. Ive never had an issue using Ultra Black.

Sure its not around the seal?

fr03cobra

Established Member
not sure yet my mechanic should be taking it soon to look at it. he wants to take the balancer off. maybe jumping the gun on asking for now

MG0h3

Established Member
in my experience aftermarket parts tend to have a higher leak rate so Id guess its probably at the seal. Could have gotten nicked during install or the spring fell out too. Let us know what you find out.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Only two places to leak. The front main seal or the press fit around the bolt. Not the threads but the circumference of the crank. Just pull the damper and put a new seal in. Clean up the damper and the end of the crank free of old silicone as well as the bolt and washer. Press the balancer back on using touch of anti-seize (usually required with IW dampers) and then seal the circumference of the crank where it meats the damper with silicone. I also put some on the back of the washer to cover the same area as it tightens down.

Last edited:

fr03cobra

Established Member
IW emailed me this:

Thanks for contacting us. Sorry you are having issues with your damper.
For a leak on the damper we will need to have the damper sent in to us and
we can pull the damper apart and reseal the unit. While we have it apart we
will also inspect the clutch pack system and refresh it so when it comes
back it will be refreshed and ready for several more years of use. The
turnaround time for a reseal is normally 2-3 days. We will do everything
we can to expedite the turnaround so you are not without your damper for
long. To send the damper in we just need to have the damper packed up in a
box. Inside that box, please include a piece of paper with your name,
address and phone number and a note to "Fix leaking damper". Once we
receive the damper we will contact you to verify that it is received and to
set up billing. The charge for a reseal/service on the dampers is $95 plus
return shipping.

Thanks,

Sales/Marketing Manager

Innovators West

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Oh you mean the actual damper itself is leaking fluid. I thought you mean engine oil is leaking around the damper area. In that case yes they will do a service on it.

fr03cobra

Established Member
I did not know fluid was in the damper. Yea its engine oil I believe. I would have engine problems if I was losing fluid out the damper right being unbalanced?Thanks

Quick Strike

Established Member
I got mine used. It was for sale cheap because it had a broken keyway. IW said they would replace the inner hub and do a service for $165 if I sent it to them. I bought it and that is exactly what they did with a very fast turn around. I have been very happy with the service and quality.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I did not know fluid was in the damper. Yea its engine oil I believe. I would have engine problems if I was losing fluid out the damper right being unbalanced?Thanks

It's actually not a balancer, just a damper but yeah I don't know if a little fluid loss would cause it to go off balance or not. Depends on inner construction which I have not seen.

I've always had very good service and turn around from them if you have to send it in for service. If its engine oil, refer to my first post from when you PM'd me. Front main seal and silicone around bolt/washer to seal crank to damper and you're good.

Quick Strike

Established Member
More info from their website:

"Inside the light weight billet aluminum cover is a free floating wet friction clutch pack assembly that utilizes spring loaded inertia rings to dampen crankshaft harmonics over a wide RPM range. The rings work in conjunction with clutches to provide outstanding dampening action. That action does generate some heat, and we use a small amount of fluid inside that acts as a lubricant as well as dissipates heat to the outer body."

It seems the wet clutch assembly and heat dissipation would be less effective without the fluid.

Users who are viewing this thread