Badly Dented/Bent Door

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Hey guys, so I took my BMW 335xi into my local dealership to get the fuel pump recall done, and I get it back and the bottom of the driver's side door is completely bent from the bottom up about 4-5 inches. It appears that a tech tried to lift the car with the door open, and one of the lift arms made contact with the driver's side and lifted it up. My service advisor says that they'll either try and straight the door out and repaint it, or get a new skin for the door. I suggested I needed a new door, and I'll refuse anything that doesn't have the door looking perfect. I went in there with a perfect door, so anything less is unacceptable in my opinion. This post would make a lot more sense with a pic of the damage, but I don't wanna set up a picture hosting account for just this one time. If I could email the pic to someone and have them post the pic that'd be great. I just want some opinions on what needs to be done so I know moving on from here. They won't attempt any fix until Monday, so I have a little time. Thanks guys and gals.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I would request a new door, there could be other damage that could manifest itself down the road such as a window mechanisim

xfrosty63x

Established Member
aefbc437.gif

98slowbra

Established Member
holy shit bud, were you able to get your foot out of there ass after this happened? I am sorry this happened to you, I would be mad as hell.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Thanks xfrosty63x, so now that everyone can see the pic, any thoughts? To me, the door looks like it's creased in some places so I think pulling it out is out of the question, so it comes down to "just the skin" or replace the entire door. Again, it takes more pressure to close the door than it used to, so it seems like at least 1 hinge is bent. This is my 1st dealer service visit ever too. I've never had a car in warranty, and this happens. This is the reason I never give my keys to anyone... My Cobra was flawless when I sold it because no one ever touched it/drove it but me.

Last edited:

03snakenvtn

Established Member
holy shit bud, were you able to get your foot out of there ass after this happened? I am sorry this happened to you, I would be mad as hell.

It is what it is. They accepted the blame and are willing to fix it. I just don't want a shoddy job affecting my resale value in the future or creating weird electrical gremlins in that door. If this had happened to my Cobra, I definitely would've stabbed someone though.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
It is what it is. They accepted the blame and are willing to fix it. I just don't want a shoddy job affecting my resale value in the future or creating weird electrical gremlins in that door. If this had happened to my Cobra, I definitely would've stabbed someone though.

Its the dealership.......think youll be fine when it comes to workmanship and "resale" value.

98slowbra

Established Member
I am no body expert by any means but to get the bottom of the door lined up straight would be a pain if they try to bend it back into shape.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Definitely would hold out for a complete new door. Heck with just a skin but I figure their insurance company may only pay for a new skin. Hate to see this and hope you get a speedy, quality repair.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Thanks guys. Does anyone know if, when they replace the skin, if it still doesn't look right can I refuse the car and request a new door? I know it'll be tough, but the dealership I took it to is owned by the same guy that owns my dealer, so I could possibly get the upper management involved if I have to.

My94GT

Established Member
I am no body expert by any means but to get the bottom of the door lined up straight would be a pain if they try to bend it back into shape.

it really depends, the body shop im at skins plenty of doors. it will come down to how extensive the damnage is to the door shell its self. i mean really anything can be fixed you have to weigh out cost of repair to cost of replace and what you feel will give the best quality sending the customer down the road.

it was nice of them to own up to their mistake just make sure they repair it properly and your should have nothing to stress about. another thing to keep in mind ive personally seen plenty of good and bad work come out of a dealership, having that title does not mean that they are the best. inspect the car befor excepting it back, and get documents of the work done incase anything happens down the road to cover yourself. :beer:

My94GT

Established Member
Thanks guys. Does anyone know if, when they replace the skin, if it still doesn't look right can I refuse the car and request a new door? I know it'll be tough, but the dealership I took it to is owned by the same guy that owns my dealer, so I could possibly get the upper management involved if I have to.

yes if you are not happy with the quality of the work done you can refuse it, at that point if they are not willing to help you, contact your ins. company. it may be a good idea to get ahold of your ins comp at this point just as another measure in which to protect yourself with documentation of repairs done.

jliddle

Established Member
Refuse any repair options they give you on your existing door.

Demand a new ( FACTORY BMW! ) door shell/skin. Not aftermarket.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Refuse any repair options they give you on your existing door.

Demand a new ( FACTORY BMW! ) door shell/skin. Not aftermarket.

I think I might be able to get away with that because I know all the upper management since I work in the headquarters for the company, but we'll see what happens on Monday. If they refuse to give me a new door I'll probably just call the GM and see what happens. I'm the type that it takes a lot to anger, but when I feel like I'm being taken advantage of, I can make your life hell. So that's my strategy.. I'm being nice until it gets to that point though, even though many other people would've flown off the handle already.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Here is what I strong advise. First, tell them that you do NOT want their body shop to fix it, and that you will get a quote from the BEST body shop in the area. Unless you know for certain that their body shop is very reputable. Then look for that BEST body shop. Maybe talk to two or three. Express your concerns to the body shops and get THEIR professional opinion. They have no vested interested in doing this as cheaply as possible to lower their loss like the dealer might. Once YOU are completed satisfied with one of the body shops, get a written estimate and take it to the dealer. Have the dealer approve the work and have it done. If possible, have the body shop bill the dealer. If you do end up having the dealer do the work, YOU dictate what you want them to do or not do, depending on what other reputable shops have told you (and show them the estimate from another shop). Absolutely the work ultimately done should be done to YOUR satisfaction since it was THEIR fault.

I say this because I have a friend one town over who owns a large body shop. He is the best I have ever seen, bar none. He is a bit more expensive but this buy does premium repair work. He refuses to cut corners. One of the things he tells his customers is that they should never settle for what the insurance company wants to do (ie. using OEM vs. aftermarket parts), but that the work should be done absolutely to the approval of the owner.

In the end you'll get this repaired fine I predict. Just be sure you do this to YOUR satisfaction and not to what the dealer wants to do. After all, THEY damaged your car. I don't think they want any negative publicity over this.

"olsson"

Established Member
That door can be fixed but it would take a couple of hours !

What ever you do dont let them put a new skin on that door ! You will not have the same fit and rustprotection as it was before.

Users who are viewing this thread