Bad Track Night

BocaCobra

Established Member
Hey guys...Well I took my 03 to the track lastnight and drove me nuts for the most part! Its BONE stock except for my CAI and I still have temp tags. I raced a Z-28 that runs 13.0s last week and had no problems with him and after I did the CAI I have no problem running with my boys 02 Z06 through the end of 3rd and he pulls low 12's - So I am thinking I have a 12.6-12.8 car no problem. Well problem arises as I hit the drag strip. No idea why but I had wheel hop so bad I thought the bottom of the car was gonna fall out!!! 1st run I launch and wheel hopped CRAZY through 1st and gave me a 2.3 60ft and 13.7 1/4....2nd run WHEEL HOPPED like MAD and so bad I missed 2nd gear from hopping around netted a 14.4 - lol...3rd run, I dont launch as hard and wheel hop is bad but not as bad nets me a crappy 2.24 60ft and a 13.4 1/4...4th run...I forget and leave traction control on, wheel hop bad, traction control activates, I nail it again..had a 2.26 60ft that time but improve my 1/4 to 13.2...Now I know I need to be at 2.0 at least on those 60s and I am easily in the 12's but I cant get rid of that NASTY wheel hop...I tested after each run at the end of the strip and NO wheel hop what so ever - Only came in at the lights!! Any ideas why this is?? Car is running strong pulling 109-110 MPHs through the traps but 60ft is killing me with the HOP - I am a very good driver but this has me stunned and upset none the less. Any ideas would be of help :)

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Boca,
There is so much that goes on at the Strips near the starting line... that traction there is going to be unlike anyplace else on the strip.
Even from lane to lane. I ran at Tucson Arizona... and in the left lane a 3500 launch would bog .... in the right lane it would spin thru first gear... same night.. same car... same driver.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Boca,

Were there a bunch of DA's (usually ricers) running through the water box and then doing half-a$$ed burnouts? Sometimes they drag crap all over the starting grid, and it's a royal b^&%$ to get hooked up. :bash:

BocaCobra

Established Member
Yes there were a fair share of ricers but what do you guys think accounts for the NASTY wheel hop at the line and nowhere else? Maybe because so much rubber down and the tires are trying to grip they hop? I have no clue :-(

bender460

Established Member
I could be wrong but I think it comes down to traction. And you didn't have enough of it. However the way you describe it seems excessive. Maybe an alignment issue??:shrug:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Mr. BocaCobra,

Have you forgotten so easily the things you teach others? You are the one who turned me on to the Nitto DR's recommending them because of their superb traction. I guess it is easy to forget so I will give you back what you have so freely given to me. "Go out and purchase a pair of those Nitto's". They will make a huge difference. You saw I had very little trouble hooking up at the track after warming those bad boys up. Wheel hop sucks!! Go for the tires!!!! Black03

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Are you dumping the clutch? The only time I got my car to wheel hop was when I dumped the clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread