Bad situation with Wamu, what to do?

50 Proof

Established Member
My wamu checking account is linked to my paypal account (big mistake #1). Someone recently hacked into my paypal account and used my checking account to buy $1700 worth of crap from newegg.com

The f'rs hacked into my email and blocked emails from paypal and newegg so that I wouldn't find out what they did. I received a large withdrawal notification email from Wamu which was the only thing that tipped me off in a timely manner.

I called paypal immediately and had the put a stop payment to newegg. They told me not to worry that the payment to newegg will be stopped but the transfer from wamu to paypal will still go through unless I call wamu to stop the transfer.

So, I called Wamu and asked them to stop the transfer. They opened up a claim and reimbursed me $1700. The transfer went through to paypal and now I'm sitting here with an extra $1700.

I transferred the money back to wamu on 4/8/09 and called them up to tell them that I need the claim withdrawn so that they can take their money back. I've called 3 or 4 times already asking them to withdraw the claim. They always transfer me around to different departments and tell me that it'll take 10 days to withdraw the claim. Well the money is still sitting in my checking account. WTF am I supposed to do?

txyaloo

Established Member
Leave it in your account until they remove it. Under no circumstance should you spend it.

50 Proof

Established Member
Yea I have no intention of spending the money but getting them to take the money back doesn't seem so easy. What do I do if a year goes by and the money is still sitting in my account?

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Yea I have no intention of spending the money but getting them to take the money back doesn't seem so easy. What do I do if a year goes by and the money is still sitting in my account?

If it is that big of a problem go into a local branch and discuss the issue with a banker or manager, not a teller.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
i can't help but lol a little bit

how someone has to fight a bank that went under [which btw is lame, considering my dad is working for wamu, and is currently on borrowed time] to GIVE them money

best of luck, and don't spend the money

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Call newegg and get the address and shipping information from that order, then give it to the proper authorities.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
My wamu checking account is linked to my paypal account (big mistake #1). Someone recently hacked into my paypal account and used my checking account to buy $1700 worth of crap from newegg.com

The f'rs hacked into my email and blocked emails from paypal and newegg so that I wouldn't find out what they did. I received a large withdrawal notification email from Wamu which was the only thing that tipped me off in a timely manner.

I called paypal immediately and had the put a stop payment to newegg. They told me not to worry that the payment to newegg will be stopped but the transfer from wamu to paypal will still go through unless I call wamu to stop the transfer.

So, I called Wamu and asked them to stop the transfer. They opened up a claim and reimbursed me $1700. The transfer went through to paypal and now I'm sitting here with an extra $1700.

I transferred the money back to wamu on 4/8/09 and called them up to tell them that I need the claim withdrawn so that they can take their money back. I've called 3 or 4 times already asking them to withdraw the claim. They always transfer me around to different departments and tell me that it'll take 10 days to withdraw the claim. Well the money is still sitting in my checking account. WTF am I supposed to do?

LOL Nobody "hacked" anything. You were a fool and probably fell for one of the most obvious phishing schemes ever. Stop saying "hacked."

Now that that's taken care of, did you already change all your password and secret questions to everything? That's about all you can do now, besides close all your accounts and make new ones. Oh yea, don't use your mother's maiden name for any security stuff. It's real easy to find that out if someone really wants to get into your stuff.

Last edited:

50 Proof

Established Member
LOL Nobody "hacked" anything. You were a fool and probably fell for one of the most obvious phishing schemes ever. Stop saying "hacked."

Now that that's taken care of, did you already change all your password and secret questions to everything? That's about all you can do now, besides close all your accounts and make new ones. Oh yea, don't use your mother's maiden name for any security stuff. It's real easy to find that out if someone really wants to get into your stuff.

LOL
Okay Mr Know-It-All, since you don't know anything about me...

- I'm fully competent with the internet
- I run my own message board and my own website
- I know how to make websites, etc
- I know how to identify phishing scam websites
- I have a BS in Computer Information Systems
- I'm a Business Systems Analyst that designs a web based intranet application for one of the largest west coast commercial banks
- I know what phishing scams are and know not to click on the links in the fake emails that I receive.

I purchased a Markins tripod ballhead in March and opted to use the option to pay with paypal. The very next day my paypal account had been access fraudulently. I rarely use my paypal account and that had been the only time I had logged into paypal for over a month. The Markins company denied any possibility that their website could be compromised. As far as I'm concerned, the transaction I completed with Markins caused my paypal login information to get stolen.

The only other way my paypal information could have gotten stolen is if I accessed my account from a friend's computer that had a virus on it.

Last edited:

todd4566

Man Of Steel
Established Member
FYI - they still operate under Wamu. Until they start completely operating under chase, I will still refer to them as Wamu.

Do they?? I worked in a WaMu corporate office only a month ago, and assure you that all decision making is being doing by Chase execs now. :read:

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
LOL
Okay Mr Know-It-All, since you don't know anything about me...

- I'm fully competent with the internet
+ Obviously not

- I run my own message board and my own website
+ So?

- I know how to make websites, etc
+ And?

- I know how to identify phishing scam websites
Obviously not

- I have a BS in Computer Information Systems
+ LOLOLOL So do some of the biggest idiots I've ever met.

- I'm a Business Systems Analyst that designs a web based intranet application for one of the largest west coast commercial banks
+ So?

- I know what phishing scams are and know not to click on the links in the fake emails that I receive.
+ Obviously not

I purchased a Markins tripod ballhead in March and opted to use the option to pay with paypal. The very next day my paypal account had been access fraudulently. I rarely use my paypal account and that had been the only time I had logged into paypal for over a month. The Markins company denied any possibility that their website could be compromised. As far as I'm concerned, the transaction I completed with Markins caused my paypal login information to get stolen.
+ Sometimes even when you click to pay with paypal, it rigs it up through a 3rd party checkout system, which then inputs the info into paypal. Are you saying you purchased this directly from their website? Post up the link and we'll check it out for you.

The only other way my paypal information could have gotten stolen is if I accessed my account from a friend's computer that had a virus on it.
+ That right there just proves that you don't know JACK. Only people who don't know what they're talking about refer to everything as a "Virus." This fits in perfectly with your noob use of the word "Hack."

It's nice that you have a job you're proud of, but obviously you slipped up somewhere. After a 2 second look at some of your past threads I see that this isn't the first time you've had an "Identity theft" issue.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/smack-down-cafe-18/421272-hsbc.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/road-side-pub-17/412201-stolen-pay-stub.html

That was just on page 1 of the search results. I didn't even bother to look any further.

It happens to everyone at one point or another. Don't be too proud to admit it. If you're that worried, call up Paypal and have them send you a Security (Entrust) key token generator. If that isn't wonderful advice IDK what is. Good luck.

Last edited:

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
+1 to the above. you weren't hacked. you probably were sent to a spoof site, or the other site was compromised allowing it to capture the information. you could have a key logger on your computer and not know it. "Norton AV/McAfee" don't catch all malicious code. although they make a nice safety net. I'd be willing to bet your computer has been compromised with either a key logger or you keep your passwords/account info in a word document on your computer and your data has been sent to a remote user for them to do as they wish with it. you might also have gotten hit by someone who knows how to use a packet sniffer to see what information is going back and forth across the network, whether it's wireless or hardline. there is a large number of ways if someone with the means and the knowledge wanted your info....he's going to get it. most cases I've seen though are either a keylogger on the host computer, spoof website, phishing through email or spoof site.

hate to say it....but your a victim of technology and not knowing what your doing....that piece of paper that should mean you know what your doing....doesn't mean squat in the IT world.

txyaloo

Established Member
41438625_02bcbb8d32.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread