Bad rear differential

Brickell gt500

Established Member
Hello all,

I have a 2013 GT500, 33.5k on it with the basic bolt ons. I heard a strange noise coming from the rear end. Brought it in to the Ford dealership and it was diagnosed as a bad rear differential. They tell me the part is on back ordered and no eta. My question to the forum is would I better served buying 3.73 from van, that's in stock. They are sticking me with the rental car at $40 a day.

Finally, I like doing high speed roll racing / 1/2 mile events. Will 3.73 be better for this?

Thanks all.

railroad

Established Member
Forget the what if, what will, what won't, just put in 3.73s and be ready to smile. Cut a deal with the dealer. They can, may not though, get the 3.73s cheap, less than $200 if you have to buy. Good luck,

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
3.73s are definitely a better gear...since you are in the rear end anyway, why not opt for the upgrade...To your second question regarding the 1/2 mile events....3.31s are the better gear for them IMO, but 3.73s will get your a more useable powerband.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
My 3.73s kicked ass in the standing mile. Gear selection all depends on power output for the venue and distance. My 3.73s at 8000ft DA plus minor bolt-ons were the perfect gear for both 1/2 mile and standing mile. For the 1/2 I would finish around 145-146 at over 6k rpm at the first venue I ran at in June. For the standing mile the 2nd venue had better traction and I'd finish the 1/2 at 146-148 and shift into 5th right afterwards and ride it all the way home to the mile marker with both hands on the wheel (a strange feeling for sure). I was consistently faster then the Charger Hellcat at the event by 2-3mph despite some belt slip and 4 manual shifts vs. his lightning quick 8-speed. All cars were down a few MPH versus what they'd do at sea level.

A pullied car closer to sea level wouldn't fare well with 3.73s as you'd literally begin to run out of gear for the standing mile and would have an ill-timed shift to 5th right before the end of the 1/2. Honestly closer to sea level 3.55s may be a better solution for a good balance between being more fun to drive on the street and giving you enough leg to run the 1/2 and standing mile events.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Hello all,

I have a 2013 GT500, 33.5k on it with the basic bolt ons. I heard a strange noise coming from the rear end. Brought it in to the Ford dealership and it was diagnosed as a bad rear differential. They tell me the part is on back ordered and no eta. My question to the forum is would I better served buying 3.73 from van, that's in stock. They are sticking me with the rental car at $40 a day.

Finally, I like doing high speed roll racing / 1/2 mile events. Will 3.73 be better for this?

Thanks all.

Is it just the gears or is the carrier/bearings/axles where the problem lies?

Zemedici

Established Member
did you say you're having to pay for the rental car?

so I'm assuming they denied a warranty claim?

Brickell gt500

Established Member
I think I have been suckered a bit on the rental car. I will bring it up to ford. They are having trouble locating the part. They told me they ordered bearings and rings I think. No idea why it failed. I am making around 690 whp. I have a rival with a 997 tts and we do some high speed rolls. Will my acceleration be better from 60 plus? When will I hit a wall? I had no doubts the car can do 200 plus with the stock gears. However, there was a recent car mag doing a review on a 2016 Shelby with 3.73 that claimed top speed of 200. I really want the most acceleration from 50-150.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
You have ring and pinion problems or diff problems?

x2
And do you have the SVTPP (Torsen) or base (CF friction T-loc)?
I'd assume they would do a full rebuild if something failed badly over just whine.
Good luck and yes 100% go with 3.73s, even if you pay for the FRPP gears yourself less than $150
-J

Brickell gt500

Established Member
Ring and pinion. Track pack. They are very resistant to anything but Motorcraft. I called Ford to inquire about this also. You can't go from Motorcraft to Ford racing. So, if I bought the gears they are telling me the entire repair is on me as well. Does this sound suspect from your experiences?

railroad

Established Member
Dealer is being an A$$. Ask if you can buy the Ford gears for them, credit you and get on with the job. I would be doubtful they are capable of doing the job, by now.

Van@RevanRacing

Ring and pinion. Track pack. They are very resistant to anything but Motorcraft. I called Ford to inquire about this also. You can't go from Motorcraft to Ford racing. So, if I bought the gears they are telling me the entire repair is on me as well. Does this sound suspect from your experiences?

Sounds like Gus Machado Ford?? Maybe? Oh the crap I've had customers go through in that stealership.

Whomever it may be they are going strictly by the book with respect to warranty repairs and claims. Which means they were probably doing some things in the past and got caught and slapped around pretty hard by Ford.

See what your options are. You pay for the repair and get gears on your own, how much? It's a time value of money deal at that point. How much is your time worth and the car being down worth versus getting the repair done and changing to a different gear set up.

Van

Slowb00st

Established Member

Gt500 uses the same ring and pinion as the regular mustang, the track pack GT have stock 3.73 so they have a motorcraft 3.73.

Look for:

DR3Z-4209-B and CR3Z-4209-B

Last edited:

93 347 Cobra

Established Member

There's a Motorcraft part number for a 3.73 install kit that includes ring and pinion. I'm on mobile otherwise I'd post it now. You have to purchase the correct pinion bearing separately.

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
Gt500 uses the same ring and pinion as the regular mustang, the track pack GT have stock 3.73 so they have a motorcraft 3.73.

Look for:

DR3Z-4209-B and CR3Z-4209-B

I thought there was a slightly different ring and pinion if you had the track pack? Didn't the torsen use a different gear vs the base model trac-lock?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I thought there was a slightly different ring and pinion if you had the track pack? Didn't the torsen use a different gear vs the base model trac-lock?

I think the confusion comes from buying the gears with a parts bundle.
Strictly ring and pinion gears are all the same, including FRPP gears being same as OEM.
And if you accept that dealers BS line on the parts, find another dealer that will play ball. I provided FRPP 4.10s and they had no issue at all.
-J

Slowb00st

Established Member

I stand corrected, but those are the two different part numbers for track-lock and torsen. One of those comes with a parts package the other I think its just ring and pinion.

Last edited:

Brickell gt500

Established Member
Thanks for all your responses. They are still having problems locating the parts. As of this post they haven't been able to give me a eta of even tracking down this part. I feel a bit captive at this point. They tell me the car isn't safe to drive. I might try and see if they can throw a motor craft 3.73 in but so far they have been steadfast on any alternative suggestions. The Ford dealership I'm using seems to totally by the book. Van, is right about Gus Machado ford the worst dealership I have ever been to regarding sales and customer service.

I really appreciate the feedback. I think this car is amazing. This is the only problem I have had and I drive this car in a spirited fashion to say the least. If anyone was curious of why doesn't he just buy the gears...the entire cost would be on me. 700+ for labor alone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread