Bad nitrous dyno with video! Not sure what to think…

LCCOBRA

Established Member
Lately I been having some problems with my car from it running lean to other fuel related issues that I seemed to have ironed out. Well I went to the dyno for the 100million time this last month to put an end to the what I had figured out was the intake was not properly clamped down and un metered air allowed to enter the motor in turn making the car run lean/loss of power. Needless to say I wasn’t to happy about the intake being lose and costing me extra dyno money in the process because of the shops negligence to properly clap down the intake but I still should prob put blame on me for not checking over my car before it left the shop. I feel I should'nt have too but will from hear on out.

But on to why I’m posting, everything seemed to be going well and a/f was dead on what my tuner was commanding and I managed with some 18#’s boost to pull on a humid day a 598.9 with 550.5Tq (see dyno sheet). Tq was a little low but I just installed some off-road pipes for my bassani x-pipe and that may explain the loss in tq. So I decided I want more power and wanted to do a nitrous run and granted I have done or been around a ton of nitrous cars/03 cobras with nitrous and have never seen black smoke poor out the exhaust and my tuner said he was commanding 11.1 if I remember correctly. I was in the trunk but it also sounded like the motor was making some funny sounds during the pass also. So after we did the nitrous pass I decided to not try again till I make sure everything is working properly and decided to put down another motor pass just to make sure everything was ok but by now the car was heat soaked and only put down some 575rwhp. Either way I’m not sure where to go from here as I plan on pulling the plugs soon and give them a good look over. Everything runs and sounds fine just was concerned about the black smoke that came pouring out the back. Is that normal with an off-road pipe? Let me know your 2cents

bad nitrous dyno 9-27-06 - bad nitrous dyno1.wmv @ ZippyVideos.com - Free Video Webhosting

Last edited:

snake bite 03

I thought black smoke was from the engine running really rich :shrug: but thats not a bad thing in some cases...

LCCOBRA

Established Member
SilverSnake01 said:
^Do u think that he hit the rev limiter???

No I don't think it was the rev limiter as nitrous on my car is nothing new and my tuner knows what all I have done to the car and has been tuning my car pretty much since day one of owning the car. I just never saw that much black smoke come pouring out the tail pipes. Though I know it's hard to see from the video it was an excessive amount and got me a little concerned. Think it’s normal with not cats/car running rich for nitrous? Should I pull the plugs?

03yellow said:
Your mods?

Fuel mods?

Borla Stinger SS cat-back&BX Performance cat-less X-Pipe Exhaust/Edelbrock Dry Nitrous Kit with a .40 jet spraying after the Maf/JLT 12” High Flow CIA / 2.2 KB with 2.76in pulley(17-18lb) stock lower/GordsFord HE/Ron Davis Radiator with He Reservoir/Autolight 103 Sparkplugs gapped@32/sc2800maf/60lb injectors/Full Return Style Fuel System with twin 255 in-tank pumps all aeromotive pieces with cpr fuel rails/Billetflow Throttle Body

Last edited:

SVTmojo

Track Junkie!
Established Member
Very interesting, if you find out what is going on, please let us know the final findings. Brian and Howard are really good. Do you plan on going back up there, would like to see your car in person. Mike

LCCOBRA

Established Member
SVTmojo said:
Very interesting, if you find out what is going on, please let us know the final findings. Brian and Howard are really good. Do you plan on going back up there, would like to see your car in person. Mike

Prob not till next year as i'll just run all motor for now as i'm about to put the car away in a month or so... I'll prob check the plugs also when I get a chance just to make sure and it sounds like it's normal with an o/r x-pipe with that a/f. Where have you been hiding as I have'nt seen you out. On fri/sat everyone usually meets up some where. Should come out some time as I would like to get a run with you

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Kind of hard to tell by the video. I'm leaning more towards being rich at the end of the run. I've seen this with other Terminators locally. The color, though, will determine whether it is running rich or whether it is an oil issue. Hope it is the former.

SVTmojo

Track Junkie!
Established Member
I would tend to agree with cobra bob, as I have a rather rich/safe tune in mine. I just got home from a open track weekend, and the inside of my tailpipes were black.

I don't do my street running, keep my racing to the track, but I would love to come out and see the cars, and follow ya'll around for a while, and who knows maybe run once or twice. Where do you all meet, hope to see you soon, Mike

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Black smoke definately means rich.... Usually, even at 12.0 AFR, cars will blow a little black smoke. Don't be alarmed at that, it's not a bad thing...

LCCOBRA

Established Member
sambandit said:
Black smoke definately means rich.... Usually, even at 12.0 AFR, cars will blow a little black smoke. Don't be alarmed at that, it's not a bad thing...

That's what i'm thinking also. Thanks for the info sambandit:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread