BAD Mickey Thompson Drag Radials!!!

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
I had to replace the flywheel on my 03, the tabs holding the ring on broke right off, every one of them. So I am putting a brand new clutch setup in it.

But this is an even more disturbing thing we found when the car was up in the air. TRUST ME THESE ARE NOT CUT TIRES. They are separating from the sidewall and the tread. I bought these tires new in February. They have less than 4,000 miles on them.

Drivers side.

normal_tires_006.jpg

normal_tires_008.jpg

Passenger side.

normal_tires_003.jpg

normal_tires_002.jpg

Tread depth.

normal_tires_004.jpg

I am going to send these to Mickey Thompson. I will also get pictures of them off the rim and off the car while still on the rim to send them.

VPF

Original thread from when I got them in February.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461898&page=2

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
Has anyone else had this happen to them with ANY tire?

What do you think I should ask for? These tires are almost new.

VPF

BoostFiend

Say NO to FUPA!
Established Member
That sucks man. I have heard some stories about basically brand new Mickeys falling apart. Must be a bad batch of tires.

Off topic: you gotta have one of the smallest thumbnails I have ever seen. lol

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
That sucks man. I have heard some stories about basically brand new Mickeys falling apart. Must be a bad batch of tires.

Off topic: you gotta have one of the smallest thumbnails I have ever seen. lol

I will search the net for more tires like this.

...LOL... The penny is in the middle of my friends thumb. I will now call him Tom Thumb!!!

VPF

Cobra84

Established Member
Good read. I was just pricing out sets of tires between Mikey Thompsons, BF Goodrich drag radials & Nittos and it seems that the Mikey's are the most expensive tire. I would hope they would hold together and be made of good quality!! Keep us updated on this story

Shiper

Really Cool Guy
Established Member
There M/T's man. Did you really expect them to last much longer? I mean, I know that is not the way they should be, but they really don't last much beyond that mileage anyway. IMO anyway.

Last edited:

Zak Attack

Huge Member
Established Member
Yea I figure that 4k is about right for a set of them.

Looks like the retread is not holding, 18 wheelers have problems like that all the time. They may or may not warranty that, I honestly dont see them letting you have a new set of MT though.

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
I need some tires for my car. I found these shipped for under $300.00
285-30ZR18 93Y BFGoodrich G-Force KD. Any thoguhts?

I would like to keep this thread alive so i can show them that peopelare aware of this problem. Here is the e-mail I sent MT.

Hello,

I bought a pair of 315/30-18 MICKEY THOMPSON ET STREET DRAG RADIALS in February. They are on a 03 COBRA. The tires have less than 4,000 miles on them. They are separating at the tread and sidewall on the inside of both tires.

I have attached pictures of them. I have more I can send you, but I could not send any more in this e-mail. They are still on the car. It is in the shop right now. I can get more information off of the tires if you tell me what you need.

You can contact me at ***-***-****.

Thank You

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
There M/T's man. Did you really expect them to last much longer? I mean, I know that is not the way they should be, but they really don't last much beyond that mileage anyway. IMO anyway.

Yea I figure that 4k is about right for a set of them.

Looks like the retread is not holding, 18 wheelers have problems like that all the time. They may or may not warranty that, I honestly dont see them letting you have a new set of MT though.

So you guys are saying that a set of tires are supposed to last under 4,000 miles? The tread still has nipples on it? I have seem BFG and Nitto's that were bald and still no separation?

I never had DR's before. So I am not being a smart ass, just asking.

VPF

Zak Attack

Huge Member
Established Member
I was being a smartass about the miles, most people get 10-12k out of a set. I would be upset and make it known to MT that they have a bad batch of tires. You might get some $$ out of it but not much.

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
I have 245/40/17 and 315/35/17 BFG KD's on my car, they are spectacular tires. I've even run them on a road course with no issues. And they look AWESOME!

For the price I can get them for I am more than likely going to buy them. I would like a wider tire but I just dropped over a grand on the clutch and stuff.

VPF

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
I just recieved this e-mail from MT...

You will need to get in touch with your dealer. We would like to get these back and look at them. The dealer will be able to handle the warranty for you.

Technical Support / Returns
Mickey Thompson Tires

My response...

I bought these from a dealer off of e-bay, and they were new. Attached are pictures of the tires with the stickers on them and shipping label. The company is out of Michigan, I live in Nevada. Shipping them back to MI is over $100.00. What other options are there?

Thank you for your help in this matter,

Paul

Tunink

Established Member
May I ask how much pressure you were running in the tire.

I know for a fact that due to the weight of certain cars, that running low pressure for long periods of time say 14-15 lbs (what I run at the track) can cause the tread to separate.

And yes this happened to a friends GTO that was running to little air pressure.

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member

VPF

Holy shit!

I would go to town on MT. Full replacement at a MINIMUM.

DO NOT SEND THEM TO MT UNTIL YOU GET RESOLUTION!! Or at least a minimum of a signed hard copy resolution.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
That exact thing happened to my brothers BFG drags (315-30-18). At first I thought that's what your pictures were.

BFG ended up replacing them for free, but they were bought and handled by Discount Tire.

Generally the sidewall compound and tread compound are different and they're bonded together at that spot, probably bad glue, or not enough heat or whatever process they used that day just didn't work.

Hopefully this isn't common and they don't go on backorder for another year while they fix it.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member

VPF

yes i have seen this happen when the tires are being run (consistantly) at low air pressure

it has personally happened to me with both the bfg drag radials and the bfg g-force t/a kd

i think even with the drag radials you need to be running them at between 25-30 lbs, unless at the strip

Users who are viewing this thread