Bad Idea to mix and match upper/lower control arms?

chromeyellosnak

Established Member
Are you removing the front sway bar? If you are not, that will kill your weight transfer! I learned that after 2 trips and adding suspension I probably didn't need at the time. You can buy all the parts in the world but if that sway bar is still on there at the track that front end will never lift up like you want. That will transfer the weight!

All this talk of weight transfer boggles my mind here. I agree that yes it will help. But this is not his problem. There's no reason his car should be blowing the tires off this bad causing the car to go sideways on the track. Like I said I bet hr has water in the treads

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Ignore the stupid worker and heat them up till you see smoke. There job is to puch a botton for the tree to go green, nothing more.So when you leave the line and it starts spinning do you lift a little to let it hook back up or do you just let it spin till it hooks or you shift?

Also is the track allways like that or was it like that just that night?
I wasn't sure if I'd get kicked off for ignoring the worker so I just spun them enough to get rocks and dirt off of them. There weren't even close to warm after the run. They kick you off for little dumb stuff its ridiculous. Not going to lie I just kept my foot on the gas hoping it would catch traction.

Yeah the track seems to always be like this. Its really annoying. Some NMHRA track this is. Only the pro minitubbed cars get as much time as they want to light them up.

Are both of the wheels spinning at the track? Maybe the LSD is slipping?

What shock setup/spring setup are you running? Last friday when I took mine to the track for the first time I couldn't cut a good 60 ft to save my life. Ended up adjusting my rear shocks and I can tell without even going back to the track how much better it hooks. Ride is much nicer too.
H&R SS with Bilsteins. Not the ideal drag set up but I shouldn't have this much of a problem. Ah nice, I wish mine were adjustable lol.
I'm thinking your tires ate still wet or something. Like i said I'm on an m&h racemaster , and h&r Da springs. I have a built rear but stock suspension and shocks. I heat up the tires till the screech , as I let off the gas and brake, the car will violently hook and slingshot me to the line lol. I pull up, trip the beams and hold her to 5 ish and go on second light.. .010 reaction 1.81 60ft and it spins a little through first and chirps second and third. Im running 15lbs in the racemasters and that's it. It works so well for what I have done.
Actually I think you may be on to it as they do not allow much burn out timem yet require one to enter the water box when doing a burnout. You barely pull up and they're yelling at you to pull forward. Damn, any idea how much time you spend spinning them? Maybe I can have a better idea if I could set a time to burn them up. I'd live to let it rip at 5k lol. I have heard great things about the racemasters and paired with a skilled driver as you seem to be based on the data you posted, it works quite well.

Are you removing the front sway bar? If you are not, that will kill your weight transfer! I learned that after 2 trips and adding suspension I probably didn't need at the time. You can buy all the parts in the world but if that sway bar is still on there at the track that front end will never lift up like you want. That will transfer the weight!
I haven't because the drive to the track is all highway about 10 miles and theres this huge turn in which I'd be scared to take with no sway bar lol. I have heard of removing it and have researched it, it sounds like a great idea just getting to the track might be horrendous without it lol. And I don't think my little 93 toyota pickup would like to tow it there lol.

OP, go to speedworld instead of firebird ;-)
I've heard speedworld is much much better! You local?

All this talk of weight transfer boggles my mind here. I agree that yes it will help. But this is not his problem. There's no reason his car should be blowing the tires off this bad causing the car to go sideways on the track. Like I said I bet hr has water in the treads
As I stated above I think you may just be correct. It has something to do with the amount of burn out time they allow. Its really annoying. Now that I think this might be the case I'm going to go on Friday night this week and try it again. The tires get more warmed up driving there than a burn out there lol. I'll see if I can put the go pro on so you guys can see.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Honestly sounds like you need a driver mod. No reason to have to dump the clutch at 5k when the tires are already wet. if the staff aren't allowing you to go around the water then they suck as a track and staff.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Honestly sounds like you need a driver mod. No reason to have to dump the clutch at 5k when the tires are already wet. if the staff aren't allowing you to go around the water then they suck as a track and staff.

It may be a factor but what dummy can't do a burn out? lol. I'm not sure how no driver mod would make 2nd and 3rd spin. I can understand spinning in first since I am not the best at launching but the problem is that its jerking hard to the right in second and spinning 2nd and a bit of 3rd. The staff has been really hasty lately; no idea why. I'll ignore them this time and continue to spin them. And I think you are mistaking what was said above; I did not say I was going to dump the clutch at 5k when the tires are already wet? Someone else said they dump it at 5k and cut good 60's. I am going to spin them till I see smoke, than slip the clutch launching around 2k just for test purposes.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
While I agree with some of the other post in here I'll also say that if you are blowing 2nd gear in a bolt on cobra with DRs then the track prep itself sucks and may be more of the problem than your car is.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
I've heard speedworld is much much better! You local?

Not anymore, I used to live in Avondale though. I always used to go to Speedworld, its awesome there. Colder air temps due to it being outside the Phoenix area and better track prep. Not all that far away.

Perhaps your axle kicking out to the side is due to worn or broken upper control arm bushings though. Get a new set of stockers and replace the axle side with new rubbers.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Track prep has been crappy af!! If any at all. So tonight I pull the cobra out to drive to the track, guess what? The tranny is acting up. I'm having to put full force on the shifter to get it into gear, any gear that is. I decided ill drive out to the track an d see if it goes away. Well its still acting up. Its doing it about every other gear. It even grinded going into 5th. Its hesitating to come out of gear as well. I hear a faint whistle which sounds like my TOB or pilot bearing. I get to the track and its beautifully prepped!!! They even resprayed the glue a few times, hardly anyone is spinning like before. And I can't rum my car :/

chromeyellosnak

Established Member
Sounds like a clutch cable or clutch problem i would take it easy on it and not force it . Replace the cable and see if that helps. If no go check clutch and then if all else fails blame the tranny.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
yep trans is gone. time for a upgrade!
Lol I hope its not completely gone; I'm thinking clutch cable. I'm still using the stock adjuster and what not. I'll have to inspect it whenever I find time.

Sounds like a clutch cable or clutch problem i would take it easy on it and not force it . Replace the cable and see if that helps. If no go check clutch and then if all else fails blame the tranny.
Yeah it seems like the clutch cable to me too. I'll have to inspect it, what should I look for? Its not my DD so I won't be driving it. But to get it into some of the gears I have to force it. Its not every single time though; once it warms up it seems to not do it as often. I'll look into a replacement asap! I did the clutch adjustment to no avail. And honestly the clutch feels great. I don't feel any slippage.

Not anymore, I used to live in Avondale though. I always used to go to Speedworld, its awesome there. Colder air temps due to it being outside the Phoenix area and better track prep. Not all that far away.

Perhaps your axle kicking out to the side is due to worn or broken upper control arm bushings though. Get a new set of stockers and replace the axle side with new rubbers.

How long ago? I rarely ever go to Avondale; don't think I've been there in years lol. I'm further south in the lower Phoenix area. That is true it is cooler there. Its about 1-1.5 hours away from me though. The track at firebird was beautiful last night! I couldn't believe my eyes! And I couldn't run it...

Yeah I considered that, I'm going to lift it up and inspect the bushings tomorrow. Might as well get some aftermarket uppers though as they are around the same price range.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Lol I hope its not completely gone; I'm thinking clutch cable. I'm still using the stock adjuster and what not. I'll have to inspect it whenever I find time.

Yeah it seems like the clutch cable to me too. I'll have to inspect it, what should I look for? Its not my DD so I won't be driving it. But to get it into some of the gears I have to force it. Its not every single time though; once it warms up it seems to not do it as often. I'll look into a replacement asap! I did the clutch adjustment to no avail. And honestly the clutch feels great. I don't feel any slippage.

How long ago? I rarely ever go to Avondale; don't think I've been there in years lol. I'm further south in the lower Phoenix area. That is true it is cooler there. Its about 1-1.5 hours away from me though. The track at firebird was beautiful last night! I couldn't believe my eyes! And I couldn't run it...

Yeah I considered that, I'm going to lift it up and inspect the bushings tomorrow. Might as well get some aftermarket uppers though as they are around the same price range.

Ya the only reason I was out in Avondale was for tech school, believe me lol. I was out there like 5 years ago.

If it's hard going into every gear that tells me clutch problem. If you have the stock quadrant, just try pulling up on the pedal to see if it clicks. Somewhere on your mod list should be an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster though, way more solid pedal feel instead of a mushy squishy feel due to plastic flexing.

Also if you can't do a long burnout, don't bother backing into the waterbox. Just spin em real quick to get the dirt off without getting the tires wet. Your tires probably did still have water in them.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Ya the only reason I was out in Avondale was for tech school, believe me lol. I was out there like 5 years ago.

If it's hard going into every gear that tells me clutch problem. If you have the stock quadrant, just try pulling up on the pedal to see if it clicks. Somewhere on your mod list should be an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster though, way more solid pedal feel instead of a mushy squishy feel due to plastic flexing.

Also if you can't do a long burnout, don't bother backing into the waterbox. Just spin em real quick to get the dirt off without getting the tires wet. Your tires probably did still have water in them.
Hahaha yeah its not nicest place to be. Although in those 5 years you've been gone, a lot has changed around here.

I tried the adjustment by pulling up on the pedal on friday night at the track and before and it did click but it didn't fix the issue. I tried the adjustment again today, than took it out for a spin: It's no longer getting stuck in any gear, no grinding, its shifting the same notchy way as a T45 normally does lol. It feel fine now. I'm glad its shifting well now, but kind of upset that it didn't work on Friday. Yes, I do need the solid quadrant, firewall adjuster and perhaps a new clutch cable.

Its not that I can't do a long burnout, its the damn tech guy. Also, he wasn't directing this Friday (I'm sure people complained) and the other guy was letting people burnout as long as they needed. Yes I think they did still have water in them as well, I'll do a proper burn out. Its not open until another month unfortunately. Only 3 more friday night drags for the rest of the year.

Has anyone tried the steeda clutch cable? I've seen mixed reviews on it from snapping many times to lasting for years.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Stock cable is by far the best.

jmsa540

Established Member
Where is this article at that talks about keeping the stock uppers? If someone were to get aftermarket uppers are they screwing themselves over performance wise?

Users who are viewing this thread